TKR The Journey Continues

You were lucky to have catheter. I had to get up and walk to bathroom. PT is with my roomie. I’m next! Hope the pain meds gets working right.
 
I agree with sistersinhim, that short walk to the bathroom is good for your new knee.
 
Walking to the bathroom is the beginning of your Daily Activities Walking Program! It's really the best activity for your new knee right now. Getting up, getting down, getting back up... walking... you are using all the necessary muscles. Plus it means more independence for you, and independence is always good.

I'm so happy to read you're doing so well!
 
update day three slept for At least two and a half hour sessions last night and iced all night as well. leg is a bit stiff frim some of the exercises but very stable on standing can get full leg extension. Will aim to sit more in the chair I think they will let me home tomorrow. thankfully my husband is home next week to assist. But very happy where I am at the moment with range of movement. the nurse come in for blood pressure and meds and ice otherwise they leave me be now. Dr will be here shortly so will see what he has to say.
 
another productive day. Did my exercises in between resting. I showered on my own. can walk without pain. have been using ice all day and night nut did not reach their target of 90 I got to 75. I checked the board and they don't have me going home till Sunday. I am still trying to get the drugs sorted out I am on tramadol and Panadol but it makes me shaky but much better than Endone. But overall I feel in a good place and not going to overdo it. I have a plan and will stick to it.
 
You're doing so well! It's not unusual for ROM to fluctuate a lot in the first days. Swelling increases after the surgery, so first days are often better numbers than second, third or fourth days. Getting that swelling to go down is what will bring back the ROM. So you're doing all the right things. :friends:

I love that you have a plan. Plans are good.
 
A shower on your own is a huge accomplishment! You go girl! But, go slowly. You don't want to overdo!
 
Sounds like you are doing very well. Glad to hear it. I was supposed to be at 90 also before leaving but only got to 70Ish, I think. Still sent me home. Lol. Today I’m only comfortable on my com machine at 60, so I think the swelling must be up and lessening my ROM. That’s great that your meds are keeping pain away and that you can do so much. Keep posting:))
 
came home at lunchtime today, the female physio came in and pushed down saying I still have 10% on leg extension. But did bend my knee to 90. kept it low key today had my leg elevated and I dont know about others I am off to the loo all the time. still have swelling which makes bending tight and they want you to push it. But not keen on that. it also feels a bit warm so will keep an eye on that. have used the cryo cuff as well see the Dr on the 21 may and a week later I go in for the next one.
 
Therapists often want to push the knee... that’s not a good idea. Best to not let them do it. It’s not needed for anything except to satisfy THEM and it risks aggravating, or even hurting, your baby knee. The only ROM measurement that matters is one you can achieve with your own muscles. :)

Your body is cycling through a lot of fluid (thirsty a lot?) as part of its healing processes, along with all that swelling and getting rid of same, so you’ll be needing to visit the bathroom a lot. If you can, consider it part of your knee exercises. :thumb:
 
yes that is how i see it too. cant say i am overly thirsty but drinking regularly trying to flush out toxins.
 
Therapists often want to push the knee... that’s not a good idea. Best to not let them do it. It’s not needed for anything except to satisfy THEM and it risks aggravating, or even hurting, your baby knee. The only ROM measurement that matters is one you can achieve with your own muscles. :)
Well said! I agree completely.
 
@VonnieN glad to see you are doing well. Just saw your original post from a few days back and got all caught up. Glad you are doing well and are finally home.

I’m surprised you’ve already started PT! It’s only been a couple of days since your surgery. Be sure not to let them force you to do anything your knee is not ready for. I have my first PT session next Monday (5/7) which will be 3 weeks post op and I’m glad my surgeon prefers to wait.

Take care, get lots of rest, elevate and ice whenever you are not up and about!

NG
 
My surgery was on Monday, I went home Tuesday evening and had to report to out patient PT on Wednesday at 1 pm. :doh: That won’t ever happen again!
 
I've been making lots of trips to the bathroom, too. I also feel the tightness from swelling limiting the bend. I keep having to remind myself of the mantra here about letting it rest and not worrying. Have you noticed that your old pains are gone? Number 2 will come up quickly, won't it?:)) But you'll be an expert on all this first few weeks stuff and that will help you out a lot. Continue resting:) :-) (:
 
yes that is how i see it too. cant say i am overly thirsty but drinking regularly trying to flush out toxins.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom