TKR The Journey Continues

I'll cross my fingers you just have irritating stitches and no infection. Chances are not, so let's hope for that!

The warm pack, though... You find icing uncomfortable, and that's something some people have, but heat isn't a better alternative. Heat relaxes muscles -- which is what makes heat feel so good -- but it also increases swelling if applied to a new TKR knee joint. This increased swelling, which may be invisible to your because it's inside the joint, could well be what's causing your leg to ache at night.

Using nothing might well be better than using heat. Can you give that a try? Cooling the knee is also an option if you put a thicker layer between your ice pack/cuff and your skin.

At some point in recovery, usually much later, when the swelling goes down, icing becomes uncomfortable and people stop using it except when their knee gets irritated and hot. And later in recovery heat won't cause the same swelling it does now. It's all in finding your balance in keeping the swelling down.
 
I will try icing again. have only recently stopped it. but the second knee is being problematic not from the joint but the muscles that surround it. they are still tight and give me sciatic pain. after what I thought was a easy physio session sleeping was terrible it felt as if I was squashing the nerve at the hip/bottom and I had to wriggle quickly to stop the pain. the only way I could sleep was on my back with a thin pillow lifting that area.

very frustrating
 
HI!! I've had things like that too Vonnie. Sometimes I just have to jump off the couch or out of bed to get rid of those weird/painful feelings. I know it's a pain, at least you figured out the pillow helps. You were doing so well with your first knee, then you had the second one. You know one of them has to be the misbehaving one, right? LOL Just like kids. Don't get to down about it. This will pass, you will heal, you will dance!! I've been thinking about you and hoping you were doing ok. Time is all you need. Like the mantras on here....time for healing. I did a terrible thing at PT yesterday and allowed my PT to bend me and am paying the price today. All hurting and swollen in there. If I could kick my own behind with that leg I would. But I can't bend it that much yet:heehee: What did doc say about your internal stitches? I had about 4 come to the surface that the nurse tweezered out. I think I have one more just under the surface, feels a little pokey, but hasn't broken thru yet. How's the knitting going?
 
Well glad to hear I am not alone. overall I am sure many would like to be where I am. I think lack of sleep does not help.

I went to work today and am doing a staggered return to work. but had to have a sleep. So I find a place where I can lie down. everyone is so supportive and as I am drifting I hear someone say shhhh Yvonne is sleeping.

I also had a stitch come to surface and Dr said remove it at the e nd of the week but it broke and each side went under the skin saw the Dr to make sure everything is OK one knee was 33c and the left was 34.5c it is running warmer. but he does not think there is an infection which is good news

knitting is going well ...made a knitted poncho and hat...a Icelandic jumper and hat and three blankets. on a roll still have a few more to make out of the five babies three know they are hgaving girls.

Happy times
 
Oh man, I envy all the knitters and sewing types. :roseshwr: All the cute gifts and winter wear you can make!
 
knitting is going well ...made a knitted poncho and hat...a Icelandic jumper and hat and three blankets. on a roll still have a few more to make out of the five babies three know they are hgaving girls.

Happy times
Aww, that’s exciting!
 
progession and set backs. my left leg is still not happy it is only 5 weeks. but the tightness from hip to toe is uncomfortable. right leg never felt like that. but left leg had deteriorated and had lost muscle mass.

Sleeping has gone backwards and need to toss and turn regularly because L leg feels heavy and stiff so wants to move. I think I sleep 2 hours last night. husband is sleeping in another room to give me space.

L leg just aches when it is in awkward position (bending beyond its capacity).

last physio L could reach 100 but yhat is very ubcomfirtable And R 115.

But lack of sleep is worst if every thing. I have worked everyday this week. as two staff on leave and one sick. will make it a shorter day so I might be able to get a nap.
 
Maybe a shorter day will help out a lot. For sleep reasons and just for resting/healing. Sorry to hear your nights are bad. Mine have become that way too. Just trying to stay positive and remember that this is a phase and it won’t be this way for long. Hang in there.
 
Update
Right TKR is 10 weeks and doing really well no issues other than tightness over the knee due to scarring but gets less as time goes by. Right from the beginning it has caused no problem. It has 115rom and 0flexion.

left TKR 6 weeks is also doing well but not as happy as Right knee. I see get groin pain and restless leg at night. It gets tired more quickly than R knee. It has 105rom and 0 Flexion. I get some back pain with change of posture. I always had a prominent sway back.

I can ride a bike and after a few years I finally see my calf muscle on L leg developing some muscle. The straight legs are amazing.

So happy I have had them done and now need to keep the physio exercises going. I do them at my pace and not everyday so I give things a rest.

I feel very lucky that I have come through reasonably unscathed compared to others.

Once sleep improves things will seem even rosier
 
Some people find that Tylenol PM helps them sleep. Motion-sickness pills make me sleepy, so I took those. Even with these aids, I couldn't sleep more than a few hours at a time. Sometimes, I still don't sleep well. I blame it on menopause!
 
I blame my not sleeping on age! I’ve had issues sleeping for years.

I embrace it, if I can’t sleep I get up and do something or read or eat ( :yikes: ) or whatever.

But I realize it’s really annoying for some others. I hope yours gets better for you soon. :console2:
 
I have been able to sleep well before the surgery and it's only the left leg.

the good thing is my calf muscles are return ing. am 2cm taller

everything will come good
 
Touching base one knee is 13 weeks and the other is nine. The nine week one has been problematic from the start. It is stiffer and has less range of movement than the other. The first knees is going great guns causing me no issues at all even way back at five weeks... I can't do more than 100 rom and it feels like an impingement is not allowing it to go back any further. I have not see the surgeon yet so will talk to him about it. Sleeping is still poor but I Don't take any heavy medications only panadol. I have been to physio and do exercises but I am not fanatical about then. I think daily activity it best with a few minor challenges. I ride the stationary bike regularly for 20 minutes but not on a difficult setting otherwise it just sets off swelling.

I have been getting ankle pain on Left leg and also the shin bone ache by the end of the day.

THe say I can Join an excersise class 12 weeks 500 dollars but I don't know if that is worth the expense.

I think if I could sleep well at Night things would feel different but good sleep,still eludes me.
 
Good to hear from you! Maybe that one knee is just slower but talking to your surgeon will help you with answers and peace of mind. My 13 week knee only goes 105. It creeps ever so slowly up in its ROM.

500 does seem expensive for an exercise class. What kind of exercise is it? I don’t think I’d be ready yet for something like a class, but that’s just me. Is that something you’d enjoy or something you feel you need to do for your knee?

That whole sleep thing....I think we should make T-shirt’s that say “sleep eludes me”. Then we’d have an excuse for looking like the walking dead, which I do sometimes. Have you found any tricks for helping with sleep? Every time I think I’ve found a trick for it, it never works again.
 
Howdy friend

Yes sleep I find I can't get comfortable I toss from left to right on my back I find it pressure on my groin or that the left if it is not stretched out straight it get stiff and I wake up in pain. I use a thin pillow that goes between my knees and toss and turn and lying on my stomach seems to pressure on groin and knee. My Fitbit tells me I am awake a miniumum of 78minutes per night and have very little deep sleep. Early evening get sleepy but try to keep it at normal time at 11 through to 7 I have panadol ready if I need it.

The exercise classs are a group with Pilates machines. With seven others that is a lot and not one on one attention.

Early days
 
Been to physio and they say I can start on Pilates style exercise. But I would need to check with my health fund they are charging500 dollars for 12 weeks with a rebate it would be around 300 I am not convinced it it the best use of my money. I think a gym membership would be best in a few more months. I see the surgeon in a few weeks and see what he says.
 
I as well started back at a gym at 6 week, lasted about 6 weeks! It was too much. I was not healed enough. I will go back again when the days get shorter and the opportunity to go outside decreases. Walking outside is the best exercise, it has improved my strength and energy.
 
Had physio yesterday and the left leg is improving slowly. Have lots of aching in lower left leg and sore ankle and it appears it is the sciatic nerve. So have all these nerve sliding exercises to do. Also the glutes need to be stronger but two days in a row I have done 12000 steps. Could this be stopping the ROM"? It has not improved beyond 95 with some massage 100 the keg is now 10 weeks after surgery. The right leg is 14 weeks and causes no issues at all.Rom for that is 115-120. I see the surgeon next week.
 
12000 steps sounds like a lot for 2.5 and 3.5 months out.

And PTs think everything has to happen NOW. Maybe back off on some of what you’re doing and let it heal more, then ease into more activity.

And maybe you don’t need ALL of those nerve sliding exercises.

You have lots of time to regain ROM.

Also keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle,
and Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

You’ll get there. :console2:
 
thanks for that I think expectations can be high. thankfully sleeping is improving and no heavy duty drugs. But the sciatic keg pain has been disconcerting
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom