Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Journey Continues

Hi @VonnieN

I’m also doing nerve flossing, neural gliding for my right leg. The knee itself has better flexion and extension than the left, but i’ve had some sciatica. It gets better with the exercises and walking....I’m finding standing to be tough sometimes.
 
Hi @VonnieN

I’m also doing nerve flossing, neural gliding for my right leg. The knee itself has better flexion and extension than the left, but i’ve had some sciatica. It gets better with the exercises and walking....I’m finding standing to be tough sometimes.
Yes standing long is also tiring.walking is better than standing. trying to balance excerises to strengthen without causing more headaches
 
It was a long time before I could stand for any length of time.
 
Agreed on the standing. I’m back at work teaching and my teaching friends want to stand around on breaks and chat and I’m like hi and bye with them so I can keep moving. Hope they don’t think I’m rude.

Vonnie, I’m only 110 and if I think too much about it I can get anxious. So I try not to, and just do what I’m doing. I have some PT exercises at home to continue stretches and strength but nothing crazy. Makes me feel good to know I’m doing something, but not too much. I think back to all the worry and work I did with my 10 year old knee and now understand it was all completely unnecessary. It’s a great knee now and does what I need it to do.

Wish we had that hindsight now with these new knees of ours.
 
Yes i am sure over time many things will just fall into place. I work at a desk job and returned to work early July. But getting up and down and walking to the photocopier is great excercise. But I do push myself a bit more each time. I have gained about 3kg since the surgery. Don't want that to creep up. So feel like I need to keep moving. I am sure the nerve in the leg will settle down.
 
Walking is the best movement you can do. Try to take daily continuous walking after you get off from work, or during lunch break. I gained a little weight since surgery as well.
 
Update. Saw the doctor on Monday and he is very happy with my progress. He thinks the nerve issue will settle down. But said I could go back to dancing. I have been doing stairs at work everyday climbing 10 flights (stopping at 5 &7 for a short breathing alignment) it has caused me no additional discomfort. So last night we went dancing and did some but not all the dances. I felt so good moving to the music....I have missed it so much. So again a bit more training till the muscles are strong.

The nerve issue is still there and the ache in the shin bone as well in left leg did not have anything like that for my right leg.

But all in all not bad for the timeline of my surgery.
 
TEN FLIGHTS?? :flabber: You are a rock star!!!
 
What She (katchmo) said!!!! I'm impressed that you did both legs within a month of each other. The thought of getting my second one done at this stage would have me running for the hills - if I could run! That said since RTKR the left has not been sore. If it was as sore as the right was pre surgery I'd probably have a different opinion. as it is every time it clicks and grinds and twinges I tell it very firmly "NO".
Glad to hear you have got back to dancing - its good to be able to do the things you love. I'm still trying to get that balance of enough exercise to strengthen and feel good, not so much that it swells and reacts. But as I've learnt from reading posts on here I listen to the knee and do what it feels like doing.
 
I can understand why you would want to wait. You are young. I have 11 years on you and was desperate to get back on the dance floor. I knew if I did them six months apart that meant a longer return date. So I ensured I was fit enough to endure two in four weeks. The first for weeks I did question my decision but now I feel much better for doing so. The interesting thing is that their recovery has been the polar opposite. If my left was like my right I would not even be aware that I have had them done.

It is still so strange to see my legs so straight I will get my husband to make a photo with a before and after shot. The difference is stark.
 
Ten? Ten? Oh my! I am impressed. I understand that stairs are one of the best exercises for quads. You‘ve inspired me to find a few stairs.

Glad you are dancing, it must feel great!
 
Hi Vonnie! How are you getting along? Dancing yet? I bet it does or will feel sooooo good when you do. I play flute in a band and just got back to it this week. Was great to participate again. I’m back to teaching a bunch of crazy second graders. Oh man, are they busy and active. I think we’re breeding them differently these days. It’s so much harder to teach them compared to 10 years ago. Oh well, a few more years till retirement!! My knee is doing fine. I forget about it most of the time. Would love to hear how you are doing!
 
That’s so awesome that you’re dancing again!!:happydance:
 
Hey @nuttybrunette I am doing well. My left leg still reminds me that it has been operated particarky the nerve issue. But everyone at work is amazed at what I do considering I have had two knee replacements. Dancing was wonderful to move to the music and we will commence a more regular regime. I think I will be happier when the nerve issue settles down. Surgeon is happy and don't see him again until February. So currently at 3 months for left and 4 months for right. I am happy and not unhappy that I have done both legs so close together.
 
Hi all

Thought I would touch base since I was a May Marvel in 2018. IT has just been over one year since my first TKR and the second was done on the 29 May. I can't believe how quick it has gone. I can report that they are both doing well. The L which was the last one still does not have the bend than the R TKR. The L still does cause some issues. But overall I am so pleased to have had them done. Interestingly the RIght knee was in worse shape than my left according to the reports that I got back after the operations but has caused me the least problems.

I was very fortunate that the pain management went quite well...I will say that the first two weeks after the second one I questioned myself for having had the surgeries so close together but down the track it is much better.

As it has been said on this forum many times before on this forum, that time is what you need for a good recovery and I did ice and elevate lots in the first six months. PEople that I work with were so inspired by my recovery that some of them that had postponed surgery have gone in and had the procedure done themselves. All the muscles and joints had to realign themselves and that caused some discomfort. Sleep was elusive for a long time but now a distant memory. I am 2cm taller.

I no longer go to physio and do the work myself. The only down side is that I have not returned to dancing for many reasons other than my knees but my husband will take me social dancing so I can continue that. It was great excersise and social outlet.

My downside is I have gained weight about 5 kg which I am trying to loose. And I have fallen a couple of times...tripping and trying to stablaise myself and not hurt my knees that I fractured a rib which has now recovered.

But all in all I am happy I have had them done, no more arthritic pain no more drugs. I do have planta fasciitis. Not sure if others have had that but it can take along time to go away have had it for 10 weeks now.

Remember it is a marathon not a sprint. Hope all other May marvels are doing well.

All the best
 
Good luck with your recovery, I'm a few days ahead of you. Everyday makes things better I've found. By small degrees but I'll take it.
 
It’s great hearing from you! I’m so glad that you’re happy with your results. You will most likely continue to see improvements during this next year, also. Even with my poor outcome in general, I did see improvements, especially my ROM, in my second year. That Time thing isn’t finished with you yet.

I recently developed plantar fasciitis, so I know what you’re going through there.

I’m sorry you didn’t fully get back to dancing. I’m a bowler, and I can bowl but I haven’t been able to do my approach to the line like I did before surgery. I can’t put weight on my operated leg when my knee is bent, so now I have to just carry the ball to the line and throw, just bending at the waist. I was embarrassed about that for a while but I’ve accepted it now.

Best wishes for this next year of continued improvement!
 
Old age is about adjusting to the new requirements of our bodies! I have had to make many adjustments in yoga, but the end is worth the trouble to adjust.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom