Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

Good morning Amy Jo. How was your night, and how is this new day feeling so far? Is the uti under control yet? How is yours pain level today. Happy 11th day birthday to your new knee :-)
 
I had a hard time signing in on my tablet. I find it hard to sit at my computer desk. Day eleven was ok. I am having nausea. So decided to quit the ultram. That leaves me only with Tylenol. I am awake at 2 am. Haven't slept yet. I finally relented and took an ultram. I shouldn't complain others have it much worse than I. When I get cold I go out and sit on my porch. I keep the thermostat eat 77 and don't want my boyfriend sweating. He has hung in there with me. Yesterday he bought pizza and did an ice run tonight. He is only here in the evening. On Monday I'll ask my PCP if there is any pain med that doesn't upset your stomach. I vomited violently in the hospital and am afraid of the narcodicts. I guess there is no easy way to get through this. In my 60's I ran four marathons. This is much harder. I am finding it hard to stay positive. Thanks for listening to me. I don't complain to others.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
AmyJo,
Your doctor should be able to prescribe medication for you that will stop the nausea and vomiting. It seems to me that you still need to take the pain medications, so do ask for an anti-emetic.
Also, make sure that you always have something to eat when you take the pain meds - a cracker, or something like that.
 
I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. I totally understand the nausea with pain meds. I have to eat something substantial, such as a meal, not just a small snack, before each dose. I take an anti-nausea pill with every single pain pill. I also have back-up anti-nausea medicine that I dissolve under my tongue when needed, plus a patch I wore behind my ear and changed every 72 hours. This worked until the pain meds built up in my system too much and I had to stop them. Luckily, by then the pain had lessened some so I could deal with it most of the time, since I didn't have a TKR this time, but still had a pretty big surgery. But you're just 10 days from a TKR, and still need substantial pain relief, so I encourage you to speak to your doctor and try to get some really good anti-nausea coverage and some pain meds you can handle. Don't worry about coming here to let it all out-that's what we're here for. We all totally understand, have all been there, are still there or will be there again.
 
Thanks, Kim and Celle. I am sorta having a melt down this morning. Tears come very easily. Had only two hours of sleep last night. This morning I am having a smoothie with Almond milk and my stomach feels fine. I think I need to eat more food when I take the pills. Everybody thinks I am so strong but I don't feel strong. I can walk around the house with my cane and climb the steps going down into the garage easily. I try to count my blessings. One of my blessings is my little therapy dog and, of course, having the support of people here.
 
Wow @Floridagal you ran marathons in your 60s? There is no hope for me. I have never really been in good shape. I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time with the meds. I agree with others about getting better pain meds, and an anti nausea drug. Glad you got some almond milk, it's good stuff.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Floridagal it sounds like you are a very independent and active lady and this is why you are being so hard on yourself, I really think overall you are doing extremely well, so you can't sleep all night, it looks like most of the people on this site can't either, including me and I haven't even had my surgery yet, sleep when you can...load coloring apps on your tablet...find a good series on Netflix...don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing great...:flwrysmile:
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Today was a good day. My boyfriend came over and spent the day. I watched the movies "Meet Joe Black" and "Bridge over the River Kwai." I love streaming TV. I tried to eat constantly and was able to keep the nausea at bay. I am being very careful to take the Tylenol, Tramadol and Cipro and Culturelle on schedule. I walked some today but not lots and never took a nap. I am so hoping that I will be able to sleep tonight. Tomorrow I am determined to ask for a new PT for Tuesday and if that is not possible I will cancel the appointment. I have no confidence in the guy who came last time. Tuesday I get my 34 staples out. Yes, I counted. I can't believe that others have in the 50's. I put a picture of my knee in the picture forum.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Amy Jo you are already using a cane?! I'm afraid to turn loose of the walker yet. Maybe it's time. Does your knee feel pretty stable? Mine does and I don't hear the clicking that I've read others say they have had. My extension, at times, feels like it wants to go hyper. The rest of it is very stable. Are you having burning in your leg?
 
Love that you had a good day. Hope to see you stringing more and more of those together.

Good luck with staple removal, and stand your ground with PT!
 
I had terrible nausea also. My pharmacist told me to be sure and eat protein before I took my pain meds since it stayed in your stomach longer. That did seem to help. I also took an anti-nausea medication. Do you have one? you didn't list one.
 
I'm glad you had a much better day today and I hope you get to have some sleep tonight.
 
I was having a difficult time sleeping when I was 3wks out from surgery. At my evening dose of Tramadol/Tylenol I took Tylenol PM. Problem solved!

It's so interesting reading recovery stories of those at 2wks. I can remember so well feeling the very same symptoms you are feeling, to include the ongoing nausea. I think it's pretty normal. I don't know why- maybe the extreme fatigue from surgery, all of the meds that have been through us starting in the surgery suite?

All I do know is this. A few weeks from now and you will feel SOOO much better! You'll be reading new posts from those 2wks out and be amazed at how far you've come, just a few weeks later!

A Tylenol PM in the evening might just work for you Amy Jo!

:type:
 
I think that everyone has trouble sleeping after a knee replacement. We even have an article about it:
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

The way to deal with it is to take daytime naps. Trying to stay awake during the day, in the hopes that you'll sleep better at night, just doesn't seem to work very well. However, those little daytime naps all add up to the rest that you need.
So, sleep when you can, where you can, and how you can.

It's also normal to feel weepy and to have fragile emotions. Don't beat yourself up about it. Remember that tears are healing. Even if you're normally a strong and independent person, a TKR is a big trauma and you're allowed to need extra emotional and physical support.
 
Thank you, thank you, for the good wishes and advice. Yes, I am walking around the house with a cane. The knee feels quite stable but does burn. Sometimes it aches when I elevate it. I was assured this morning that the PT I had a problem with will NOT be coming again. Yea! I keep reminding myself that this is my knee, my health, these are people I employ and I have the final say. Last night I had a pretty good sleep. I was awake from 1 to 3 but then slept to 8:15 with my "therapy" dog. She is sleeping in today too. My project for the day was to move the Polar Care from the bedroom to the living room and refill it with ice. Project accomplished. Now I will just chill out - literally. I am eating a half banana or crackers with pills. Again, thanks for the encouragement.
 
Good luck

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
 
Amy Jo, you sound like you're doing much better! It's good for you that the horrible pt you had isn't coming back. I still think there was something strange about him saying your dog bit him. Not to mention how much he hurt you and was rude and mean to you. You're moving ahead and there's no reason for therapy to pull you back because of their over zealous exercises. Eating while taking pills has worked for me and it sounds like it's working for you, too. I found it a chore to refill my Polar Ice so I'm using my walker that has a seat on it to push it into the kitchen to refill it. My new one is supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope I read the description correctly. The one I have now has room enough for ice cubes only. The one coming tomorrow sounds like you can put big chunks in, thus staying colder much longer. That would work all night for my bedroom. Something I'm looking forward to! This getting up every hour or two to change the ice packs is a pain!
 
The PT I had today was very good. Without hardly any exercise my ROM has increased to 107. My extension is still lacking at -5. I got the official OK to walk with a cane but I have to work on bending my knee. I tend to forget and walk stiff legged. Tomorrow is the staple removal day! Today a friend came over and I couldn't convince her to go home. She ended up cleaning my refrigerator which was awful - blame it on the brother. :heehee:
 
Yea! The staples are out. It was a piece of cake. A couple little stings but that was it. I don't even need steri strips. It is totally closed and looks great. Compare to the knee pain I feel at times, this was nothing. The nurse will discharge me Thursday and PT on Friday. Soon I will be a free woman! :dancy: Of course, out patient PT will begin next week.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom