Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

Amy Jo, great news that your tummy is better! And I know what you mean about the ice. I have mine set up at my recliner and when I go to bed I just use the packs. They last only a couple of hours, so I wake up when the coldness is gone. Too bad I don't have 2 ice machines. Even if I did though, I don't have enough ice! I'm going through it like crazy! You can pick up your leg!!! Wow! I'm not even close to doing that yet! Go girl!
 
I am wondering how I am going to handle the ice machine after my brother leaves. You are right we go through almost a bag of ice a day! It's not only buying the ice but also putting it in the machine and getting everything set up. It is amazing how difficult simple tasks have become. My stomach is again off today and I am freezing cold. This isn't fun, is it? :gaah:
 
@Floridagal sorry you are having a rough day. Can you get your brother to stay a few more days? Will you be alone if he leaves.


As for the ice, several have mentioned freezing large containers of water, and using that in the machine, that it lasts longer.

Hope you start feeling better. Are you getting any sleep? Did you get alot of rain from TS Colin? We got pummeled,
 
Try freezing water in a water bottle, leave room in the top for expansion. Easy for you to carry back and forth in a bag, I used a back pack.
If you are cold you may be under medicated, be sure you are taking your medications as prescribed, on schedule.
 
I went through and still go through times of being really cold. I have a blanket on my recliner right now and it's 86* outside! Normally, I'm fighting hot flashes like crazy!
My ice machine only has room for ice cubes. I got my roommate to freeze big containers of water, and we can't use them in there. She's taking a meat tenderizer and busting them up to use. It's a real hassle. But, boy does that cold water circulating around the knee help! I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I have a rolling walker with a seat on it that I carry things on.
 
HAHA Floridagal! If I could ride my bike like that again I'd be out in the wind and rain today- LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!!
 
Just today felt able to read and catch up with some other June folks. Glad to hear the storm past you.

As others have mentioned, you can freeze water the size you need. For my ice, 1 cool whip container and 9ne cottage cheese container fit fine. And larger ice melts more slowly. I change my ice once every 24 hours. I hold the containers upside-down under hot water, the ice drops into my hand and I put it in the ice. Refill containerst with water and back in the freezer for next day. If you can fit 3 water bottles in your machine, use 6. Three are in the machine the other 3 are in the freezer.

Good to see you are posting!
 
I use old 12 oz bottles OS soda 2/3rds full of water and a few cubes in my ice machine and very small refreezable blocks from lunch boxes. I still have a blanket on top of me when using it.
 
My brother leaves tomorrow because he has medical appointments. I do have two water bottles frozen for the ice machine and will certainly consider some yogurt containers. I discovered that I could take the Tramadol every four hours. I was taking it every six. I've changed that! Saw my PCP yesterday and he was pleased. He did a blood test to check out my paleness. Has others experienced being pale after surgery? In one way I'll be glad when my brother is gone. The house is quite a mess. And I feel freer to do what I want when I want. Now to see what this day brings. It is my one week anniversary.
 
Amy jo, you continue to just amaze me. I hope you do ok once your brother leave. Will the bf be around much to help as needed? As I said to Paula, I can only hope I do at least close to as well.

Have you heard from PT yet? Keep improving day by day. I excited and encouraged to follow your journey. Hopefully you will be dancing by the time I have my surgery.
 
I would love to be dancing! That's one of the main things I miss. All in time. Just have to be patient. Amy Jo, you'll do fine without your brother there. You'll be surprised at how much you can do if you need to. Just remember to pace yourself. It all doesn't have to be done at one time. Do just little bits and pieces. And happy anniversary!
 
I'm really amazed how well you are doing, good for you:yahoo:
 
You'll do okay on your own. As you said you can do what you want to do and when you want to. I'm sure you'll get by fine.
 
Amy Jo, so happy you're in recovery now. Take it easy.
 
A bad night. My knee hurt and I couldn't sleep. I switched to the couch with my leg highly elevated and a bag of ice on the knee and music on the TV. I think I was awake from 1 until 7. The good news is that I am peeing up a storm and my weight is down four pounds. I am hoping that this is fluid leaving my leg. My brother is gone and I now have the house to myself. It feels good. I have plenty of food. PT came yesterday and will come today AND tomorrow. The nurse is also coming today. I am really tired. PT said I was at 94 degrees and -6.
 
Sorry you had a bad night. You said PT came yesterday? What did they do, maybe it aggrivated your knee to cause the pain from last night? Dont over do...

Hope you get some good naps today, and have a better night tonight...
 
I agree with Diane, you were probably having pain from the therapy you did yesterday. I, too had a really bad night after my pt. I am better now and you will get better, too.
Good news about your peeing! I weighed myself this morning and I have gained 4 pounds. I'm hoping it's the weight of the implant then I wouldn't have to blame it on me!
 
Like you I was surprised to see I gained four pounds after surgery. So I was pleasantly surprised to see them suddenly disappear. I am sure it is just fluid retention. I'm not eating much these days. The PT just did some range of motion. I was very protective of the knee and lied about how much exercise I was doing. A different Pt is coming today. I won't let him hurt me! Are you walking much? I can get around in the afternoon without a walker but use it in the morning when I feel stiff. I've already had some good naps today. Shoot the PCP office just called and I have a urinary track infection! Now more meds. UGH.
 
I'm sorry you now have a urinary tract infection. Hopefully the meds will take care of it quickly.
 
Sorry about UTI, but everything else sounds good!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom