Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

On Tuesday I have a post-op visit with my OS. Is there a suggested list of questions somewhere that I can use to get prepared for the visit? I have no idea what I should be asking him at this point. I think it is the only time I will see him unless I have unexpected problems.
 
I thought I'd ask mine what all he had to do inside my knee, and which implant he used. Why certain areas burn while others are numb. I'm sure I'll think of lots more before I go on the 28th.
 
I was just wondering the same thing mine is on the 23rd and he is a man of few words unless you ask him then that's it

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
The PT just left and I am discharged. He kept saying how great I was doing. He pretty much echoed the Bonesmart philosophy. He said I was more at four and a half weeks instead of two and a half. Now I am free but I will be careful on what I do. My OS said initially just keep moving. I will do that and ice and elevate. The PT also encouraged me to massage my quads and around the scar. My quads are no longer sore when I touch them. I know that healing is taking place.
 
Thank you, folks. I have only one remaining concern and that is that I am burning out my boyfriend. I am not quite sure how to handle that. Relationships can be tricky. I don't want to tell him not to come over but I am afraid he will see me as a needy person and a drag.
 
@Floridagal best way, is an open & honest conversation with him about your concerns.

If he cares deeply for you, he will want to be there. If it's more casual, give him the opportunity to feel ok about not feeling obligated to be there as much.

Not knowing the depth of you relationship, only you can judge the way to approach it. But my thoughts on any relationship, is open honest communication
 
Oh, I agree with Diane. Being opened with him and he with you let's you both know where you stand. When I had my first kneecap removed my ex was very good to me. Once I started being more independent, he turned cold. He wanted me to depend on him for everything. And my healing was hurting our relationship. That's why he's my ex. I am not a clinging vine. I am blessed to be so independent, and anyone that holds me back from my potential is not good for me. @Floridagal could you maybe do a little something for your friend? Something simple like fixing him a drink or a snack. Just something little then you could watch his reaction to that gesture. I believe most men want to be needed, but that is a very general statement. If you can bring up the subject and talk to him about it, you both will probably feel better about things. I pray it works out for you! You are an amazing woman and has that independent streak like I do! Keep up the good work and don't over do it or let anyone else cause you to overdo it!
 
Oh Paula @sistersinhim I'm so sorry your healing soured your relationship. My hip nightmare put so much extra effort on my husband, shopping, cleaning, dogs, administering my iv antibiotics, listening to my cries and screams during dressing changes. I felt so bad for him, but as the long ordeal started winding down, as I felt better and able to do more, he was overjoyed to see me start to return to MY independent self. I keep reminding him that his caretaker job is about to resume soon. He says he is ok with it, I sure hope so :)
 
He sounds like a wonderful gift! Count those lucky stars! There aren't many out there like that anymore. He sounds like he enjoys taking care of you. I'm sure it works both ways!
 
I was open and he assured me he'd take a break if need be. I feel relieved. Tonight we went out to a restaurant in a neighboring town. All went well. I was really stiff when we left the table but could manage all right with the cane. It was the first time I had a chance to use my handicap parking permit. I am looking forward to sleeping tonight.
 
Super super excellent! I'm just blown away that you were able to sit at a restaurant just over 2 weeks out. I am really happy you talked to him, open communication is always best. He sounds like a great man , enjoy your times with him.
 
Wow-I'm impressed that you had the energy, etc, to go out to dinner already. My husband wanted to go out last night since I'm not cooking yet and hadn't taken anything out of the freezer for dinner. I don't have the energy or stamina for eating out yet, so nixed that idea. (I wasn't hungry anyway) It'll be nice when I do feel up to normal stuff again.
 
Another step towards that normal life! You're way ahead of the game, Amy Jo! Enjoy your journey. And great that you worked up the nerve to talk to your boyfriend. He sounds like a keeper to me! You're blessed to have him and we are blessed being able to read about your progress!
 
Thank you, friends. I agree that my boyfriend is a keeper and he is eight years younger than me!

Last night I had a much better sleep. This morning I took the dog out myself and got the newspaper - another first. I am very aware of the "do too much club" and will continue being careful. I have started a list of questions for the OS. You might be interested: What did you have to do to correct my bowlegged deformity (vargus?); Medication: When do I stop the two aspirin, tramadol and return to diclofenac? How do I care for the scar? Can I massage it with cocoa butter? When do I stop icing? Can I go swimming? When do you expect I can return to golf? Are there any precautions I should observe.

I am open to other suggestions if you can think of any. Have a good day.
 
You never cease to amaze me. I'd be interested in the answer re the valgus leg, mine is pretty bad too. Can you already see the difference, is it straighter now? Yay on the boyfriend, you cougar, you ;-). Not sure of how intimate your relationship is, , but one question I would have, is when one could resume sex. Also when can you drive. Other than that it seems you have it covered.
 
Eight years younger, go girl!! But, you are much younger than your chronological age! You can tell just by your rate of recovery. You finally got a better night's sleep. You can't buy that sleep. Your questions sound reasonable.
 
@sistersinhim no kidding, about Amy Jo being younger than her chronological age. Did you see where she said she ran marathons in her 60's? Sheesh, I could never run one mile, when I was in my best shape.
 
Thanks for the compliments. I think one reason I am doing good is that I had a personal trainer during the past year. Since I have so many joint problems I didn't want to go to the local gym. My favorite PT recommended this guy who is studying to be a PT and he was wonderful with me. He was always careful not to hurt me but to be challenging. I told him he was my anti-nursing home insurance. I'd rather pay now to be healthy than to pay for a nursing home. I have no kids that can take care of me in my old age. Since both my parents died of a sudden heart attack I have hopes that will be me too.

I decided not to ask the OS when I could drive because he is very conservative and I think I will know when I am safe to get behind the wheel. My boyfriend said he'd take me to a church parking lot when I thought I was ready. I am guessing a couple more weeks.

I think my knee is straighter. It was not terribly deformed but I was wearing away the bone and it was getting worse. The cartilage was all gone on one side.

BTW I was the kid who could never turn a summersault in gym. Running is just putting one foot in front of the other and being stubborn. :walking: After my THR the OS said no more running if I want to keep the hip 20 years.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom