Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

Oh no, Amy Jo. Recovering from a TKR is enough to have to deal with without adding a UTI to the mix. Are you feeling bad from it? Hopefully, you'll get over it really quickly.
 
Glad to see you're coming along, but sorry about the UTI. If it's not one thing, it's another it seems.

I bought a case if medium-ish water bottles from Wally World before my surgery, and froze them. Some are inside in a freezer, some in a garage freezer. I carried them in a walker bag at first, now I carry them in a towel (works well as the ones I'm putting back in the freezer are wet and this allows them to dry as I hobble to the freezer). My machine holds four bottles at a time, plus water to the fill line. I used the machine 24/7 at first, now as needed in the daytime, plus all night long as I sleep.

At first I had constant help, which was wonderful, much needed and appreciated. Now I'm on my own every day while husband is at work and it's actually nice. I sleep undisturbed as needed, and am on my own schedule as needed. With help they tend to feed you when they're hungry, etc, and I seem to not only eat small amounts, I'm not hungry often and when I am it's at times not considered 'regular' meal times. Plus my husband kept checking on me all day long, which woke me from sleep; I know he meant well, but now if I'm tired I sleep until I wake naturally. I don't feel slightly guilty if I sit and do little or nothing for long stretches, or all day if needed, whereas we all tend to feel a slight pressure from friends and family to get going when they think we should rather than when our knees and bodies dictate. My husband is really good, but does tend to say things like "Do you want to go get the mail", or ask me if I want to take a walk, etc. It's been over 100 here a lot and I have no desire to go out in that when I'm 100% let alone right now...Plus the mailbox is down the driveway and I am having a hard time still with downhill so am avoiding that for now. So, enjoy your alone time and know that you and your knee are totally in charge and you can do as much or as little as your knee dictates. You can eat when hungry, even if it's 2 am, and you can eat whatever your little appetite will allow.
 
I had stopped using the ice machine due to difficulty emptying it, filing it with enough ice, etc. After finding Bonesmart I learned I can use those lunch box packs that are small enough to fit into the ice machine as well as small water bottles. Those small ice packs freeze easily. Back to the machine and no more refilling. The water can stay in!
Sorry to hear about your UTI, good thing it was caught and you are being treated for it.
 
Ughhh sorry about the uti, did you have any symptoms, how did the pcp even look for that? I've never had one do would not even know what to look for
Are you feeling a bit better this afternoon?
 
I think part of my lack of appetite and fatigue could be from the UTI. Today was a so - so day. I totally agree with what Kim had to say about being on your own. I did have the nurse, a PT and two friends stop by. The other symptom of a UTI I had was frequent urination. I thought I was just getting rid of extra fluid. I am hopeful tomorrow will be easier. I am trying to eat more and drink more,
 
Great that you're having visitors. They always help to check me up. Hopefully, that infection will clear up really quickly.
 
Last night I only woke up four times. This is good. I am optimistic that maybe I have turned a corner. It is day ten.
 
Love this. First thing I do now every morning is check on you and Paula :-). You two are my beacons. How is the uti doing?

Hope today is your best day yet!
 
It's great to know someone is checking on me! It is hard for me to sit at my computer but I now have my iPad up and running. I hope I can keep in touch with the others. I am not sure which symptoms are from the UTI and which from surgery. So far today is good except I am COLD. I have the thermostat at 77 and hate to put it higher. With Cipro I can't have calcium. That rules out my smoothies. I never thought food would be a concern. I am down another pound!
 
Wow, you're down another pound! Mine went up 4 pounds and I'm eating very little. At home nurse said it was leftover fluid from the iv and from my swelling. I was hoping it was the implant! Amy Jo, I'm cold, too. I actually had to put another blanket on my bed last night and this morning I'm wrapped in an afghan. I'm thinking it's the icing and blood loss from the surgery and all our energy going to healing our knees.
 
We make out smoothies with almond milk. Yum, yum! My OS didn't require the TEDs. Boy, was I relieved!
 
Ya I use Almond milk too, but it does have some calcium. I have not really heard about not having calcium when taking cipro. Oh thats great that your OS does not use them. I have not asked my dr about that yet. But I hate them
 
There has been no mention of TED hose. All my swelling is above the knee. I would hate to put those things on. My appetite was better today and I had a piece of pizza. I use the Polar Care machine at night and use the ice packs during the day. Today I developed a dislike for my PT. He asked me if he hurt me when I loudly yelled ouch. Da. I just yell for the fun of it. He never said one positive thing to me today. Lastly he accused my dog of biting him but there was not even a red mark. He came back four hours later to tell me not to worry about the "bite." I asked if she broken the skin and he said "no." I think he is strange. Remember my dog is a sweet little long hair Chihuahua. Everyone else gets along fine with it. I only see him one more time and than a different PT will discharge me.
 
ughhh discharge the PT dude, keep the dog! the dog will be a better healing companion anyway :)

Also good to hear of NO stockings.. the more I hear the better I feel about NOT having to wear them
 
You can tell them not to come back at all if you want. It's up to you. No one, including Medicare, can force you to let any of them come back.
 
Diane is right. Request another therapist. This guy sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. I watch enough Judge Judy to see how people will dream up injuries from dog bites. Your dog comes first! You knee will heal just fine without that therapist or any therapist as far as that goes! Remember you are to never let anyone hurt your knee, not even you!
 
Since you only have one visit left, I wouldn't bother to request a different one. You know what you need to do, which should be almost nothing as per Josephine IMHO, and one last visit is not really a big deal anyway. If he needs you to sign off, then have him drop by with the papers ready to sign, sign them and kindly show him to the door.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom