Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

Oh, thank God you're OK. I was really getting worried. I'm sorry about your throwing up. I'm on Oxycodone and Zofran and so far I'm keeping that down. You might want to check with your doctor to see if he will give you anti-nausea medicine so you can get on something stronger. I also came home yesterday and am so glad to be in my own place with my cats in my lap again! I explained to my oldest and 'mama's girl' that she couldn't walk on my leg, that she can lay on me only if she doesn't touch it. She is laying in my lap right now! It's like she understood exactly what I said! Your little dog probably understands a lot more than you think she does! What a comfort our 'kids' are!
Be sure and not let pt hurt you. Don't let them even touch you. You are in control of your knee, not them!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's good to see you post. We worry, even though we know how rough the first days are.

I'm so sorry about your stomach issues. That's adding insult to injury. When I take narcotics I need an anti-emetic to take the nausea away. It has the benefit of making me drowsy, too, and helps me keep food down. When you can have something in your stomach, you can tolerate the pain meds better, too. I hope your body will give up those fluids soon.

My dog never left my side for weeks, other than to eat and get in his walks. The minute I got home and into bed he sniffed long and hard at my knee and then settled down next to me with his chin on it. I'm almost embarrassed at how much comfort I got from him whether during the day or in the dark of the night, when I could just pet him and occasionally have a good hard cry without adding to my husband's worry.
 
@Floridagal happy to finally hear from you, it sounds like you had a few hiccups but overall you are doing OK...,I hope your pain meds are working for you...get some rest and keep us posted!!!
 
Glad your stay at the hospital was a positive one with the exception of your nausea. Luck to have two strong men to take care of you. Take advantage . Sending healing thoughts your way!
 
I'm so glad to hear from you! I hope you can get the nausea under control and feel better.
 
Hey Diane, Yes, I can support quite a bit of weight on the new knee. Is Tylenol and Ultram doing there job? It hard to tell. At times when I am resting it goes up to five and when I move a good 8 or 9. The nurse was surprised I was not on an opioid. They do awful things to me and I want to not have to take them. The PT said I was fully extended and had 93% flexion which is very good at this stage of the game. Now that it is late afternoon it is feeling better. I am hoping that it gets a little better every day - or even a lot better!
 
I didn't realize there were responds on the next page. Thank you everyone. I am trying to eat more everyday which is a hoot because I am a little overweight at 150 and 5'2''. I weighed myself and I had gained four pounds in the hospital when I wasn't eating. It must be fluids. My right ankle is not swollen at all but the quad area is swollen. I was receiving something for nausea in the hospital and had a patch behind my ear. They didn't do much. Now I am back on Prilosec and Tums. I have heart burn during every meal. I am hoping this will go away too. I am eager to read how the rest of the June people are doing. I care about you too!
 
All things considered, its sounds like you are doing remarkably well. I am very impressed. :)

Keep up the good work. I dont know how you are managing with out opioids , I know they do make one loopy, but I remember from my hip, they DO help the pain . But hey, if tylenol and ultram is working more power to ya!
 
So happy to hear from you. I know you're glad to be home. Remember to ice, elevate and take it easy. You need to take care of yourself. :)
 
I have been icing. How often should I do it every day? It keeps me from moving around which is frustrating. I feel like a dog on a leash. Today was a hard day with my indigestion worse. I had a long nap in the afternoon that might help. I want so much to read everyone's blog but there is just too much to read and I don't get at my computer very often. I have not heard from the PT who is suppose to be visiting this week. I see my PCP tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how I handle going down my flight of stairs. Going up wasn't bad. Oh, ya, there is also a tropical storm headed our way. A good distraction for me as long as it doesn't flood me out!
 
In the beginning I kept my knee elevated with ice on it almost constantly. I had a lot of swelling when I finally got home from the hospital. If you feel like moving around then do so. As soon as you feel increased swelling or pain then use the ice again. Do what feels right for you.
 
Good to hear from you Amy Jo! I'm only 4wks ahead of you in my recovery and what a difference those weeks make! I pretty much kept ice on my knee non-stop in those first few weeks. Even throughout the night. I'd go to the bathroom and make a stop by the freezer, ha! The ice helped so much with the pain. And if I was up moving around my knee would become enraged at me! But that was me- everyone is different!

Now I don't need ice as much and I'm able to move around 'some' during the day. I find my way back to my recliner at the first hint of pain or fatigue in my knee area.

This is a recovery experience that has had my undivided attention due to the raw pain that I experienced in the beginning! I followed the bonesmart mantras to the 'T' and they have helped me turn the corner in feeling better!

Hope your recovery continues to improve with each day! Slow, steady, patience wins the race!

:mooncat:
 
How are you feeling today? Has your fluid gone down any? Can you take Tums? How about motion sickness pills. I have found that both of those help me. Also, don't be in a hurry for PT to come. The after effects can be extremely painful if you're not careful! How's your swelling? Let's pray that tropical storm away from any land!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:wave:It sounds like you are doing very well, knee wise, for so early post op. I mostly spent my time icing my knee when I wasn't having pt.....I was in a rehab so they could refil the ice machine for me. I, too, had heartburn which surprised me, as I don't normally get it. I took malanga and it worked. It eventually passed. I was on a great deal of narcotics but luckily didn't suffer nausea. It's great that you have your caretakers right there. Have them take care of all the details. Follow the bone smart way and rest, ice elevate and rest again. You've already got a great start function wise. :wave:
 
Sorry, that malanga was supposed to be mylanta. Don't see an edit button. Also, I recall that I could not concentrate on much of anything and was totally self absorbed, so if you can't concentrate on all of the threads, it's pretty normal. Our brains have also had a trauma I think.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
@Floridagal I suffer from acid reflux, I take Protonix 40 mg and all my symptoms are gone, ask your PCP if this something you can possibly take. We left work early today due to the tropical storm, we must live near by...feel better:flwrysmile:i
 
The burning when I eat has gotten better. I didn't go to bed with the ice machine and regret it. Here I am at 3:00 a.m. with an ice pack. The storm has passed us without branches on the roof. I live in a log house on a wooded lot, It hasn't been a week yet. I am an impatient person but am trying hard to be good and rest, ice and elevate. I do heel slides and other easy exercises every once in a while. I can now lift my leg up on the couch or bed without assistance, That is a big step forward. Back to bed with ice packs.
 
Gosh Amy Jo- you are only what a week out into your recovery. I'm an impatient person also who doesn't sit well. I've had to manage my thoughts carefully in my recovery not to become even more depressed that what I 'was' experiencing. I just know my knee is much happier when I'm not walking around on it. For now!

I've learned to enjoy television, adult coloring, books- I just hope I won't become a couch potato after this- haha!

So glad you didn't experience any damage from the storm. It's on the way to me here in North Carolina! Thank goodness I'm not on the coast however so hopefully all we'll get is rain for our gardens!

Hoping you can get back to sleep now!
 
@Floridagal sounds like you recovering nicely, I'm glad the storm didn't affect you much, we are still getting lots of wind and rain!

@Suz you can't become a couch potato, you have a brand new knee just waiting for you to put some miles on it...soon:bicycle1:
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Hope all went to plan and that you will be pain free xx

LTKR 11 May 2016
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom