TKR The journey continues

What a relief the tree missed your home! Be careful cleaning up!

Thank God that tree missed your house! That would have been a disaster. Watch out for that back of yours and don't do anything to hurt yourself. Wish I could come down there and help you clean up that tree. I could use that firewood! All seriousness though, please be very careful. Your knee is still a baby and can get very angry if over used.

@sistersinhim Paula, thanks for your good wishes. The tree wasn't dead so the firewood wouldn't be good - yet. My knee is not the problem. It is fatigue. I just get so tired I don't even feel like practicing my singing. Yesterday I worked out, picked up wood and today I did washes, put clean sheets on my bed and picked up wood and I am totally exhausted. Do you experience this after you work in the yard? I just wonder when I will get my energy back. I was able to sleep last night so it's not that. I was hoping that after three months out things would be more normal.

Amy Jo, so happy the tree aimed away from you, and you and Lady Mary weathered the storm together.

Amy Jo, I went back to teaching part time at 3 months and I was exhausted by noon, went home to nap, ice and elevate. Even when I started swimming at 7-8 months I could only swim 4-5 laps a day. Now my body was fighting an infection on top of 2 surgeries, but it could be another month or two before your energy is totally back.

I still get pretty tired at times and try to take my naps on my days off when I can.

@KarriB your body must have been exhausted from all you went through, a normal recovery is tough enough, I couldn't even imagine fighting infection also.

@Floridagal It is still early in your recovery and you are very active so being fatigued once in a while I think would be expected, you have done amazingly well through your knee journey!!!

Amy Jo, I am pooped after working in the yard and take a nap everyday. Most of the time I sleep at least an hour. Today was a totally lazy day and I still took a 2 hour nap. I have no idea how long this energy drain lasts, but I'm so thankful for what I can get done and you should be, too. You were able to get back to your normal life really quickly, so no wonder you're still going through that energy drain. You do much more than the average 3 month out person does. Are you taking vitamins and iron? They might help.

Thanks for your support. Yes, I do take vitamins for my macular degeneration and D3 and B12. I don't take iron since I am no longer anemic. My BF told me he felt very sluggish today. Part of it could be the tension due to the approaching hurricane and now we can relax because we are out of the woods - except for the downed wood. :) My family tends to overdo and be a bit impatient. I know I have to be patient since recovery is a long process. The progress has been so slow. People expect me to be totally recovered now. It just ain't so. I tell them it takes a year to recover and they don't believe me since the scar looks so good. You folks know the truth.

I'm not 6 months out from my revision and I still feel the fatigue. On my days off I find myself almost incapable of doing anything at all. I had my revision 8 months after my original TKR so that might have slowed me a bit more. I know tomorrow will be one of those days.

If you think it's hard to be patient at the beginning of recovery it is twice as hard once you start to feel better and over do it a little and your knee reminds you to slow down but I'm not complaining, I knew this was not going to be easy.

I saw my 5 year old grandson an he was going to sit on my lap and he stopped and asked "Uva which knee is the one with the ouchie" and I told him the right one but you can sit anywhere it does not hurt, he responded "that's OK, I'll sit on the left one, you have to take special care of your ouchie" :)

Amy Jo, I know what you mean about being impatient! It just seems to come naturally to a lot of us here. I worked in production for years where time is money, and learned how to do things quickly. Now, is the time to do things slowly, especially our expectations! OBTW, I really could use your tree. I mix green wood with seasoned wood to slow down the burning!

Amy Jo, You keep doing what you need to do in terms of rest! Nobody has any idea what your knee feels like, or your energy for that matter, except you.
Audrey

Hi Amy Jo
I know what you mean about stair frustration, it took me awhile to master a normal gait on stairs and I still catch myself double stepping when I'm tired...and speaking of being tired, even after 5 months I still have that energy drain :groan:I think it's safe to say, we all need to rest more and work less in the first full year of recovery. :yawn:

Three months and two weeks post TKR! And I golfed 18 holes today! It was a scramble so not quite so hard as normal golf but still a challenge. My knee was protesting on the last hole - but, of course, it was too late to quit then. The women from the league gave me a warm welcome and I teared up thanking them for the flowers they sent me after surgery. I have gone down stairs normally a couple of times without pain. Yesterday I walked 7,000 steps and today I am at 5,371. I am really pleased with my progress. Tomorrow I may be wasted but I don't care it was worth it.

I hope I do as well as you. No golf for me, but I sure would love to get back to some hiking, and walking, and maybe some biking with a little ping pong thrown in from time to time.

After a wonderful day today, enjoy another wonderful day of rest tomorrow.

Yay, Amy! I know you've been looking forward to that! Take your day of rest (and ice) tomorrow.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back