TKR The journey continues

I had lunch with a group of friends yesterday. One of them had both knees replaced six years ago. She is still in pain and can't flex her knees enough to get in or out of a tub. I know she had a MUA after surgery. I wonder what went wrong. I didn't have a chance to talk one-on-one with her. She is very overweight. I feel for her pain at six years! Her experience makes me grateful for where I am at 11 weeks.

@Floridagal you really are doing well. I'm not too far behind you in healing and understand your frustrations. I want a time machine!

Oh, if we could just click our heels and spin to the future!!

I think a big part of our success is our surgeons, I know that we all try to make the most educated decision when choosing one but maybe we are not all as lucky, I also believe our overall health plays a big part. Who knows there are so many pieces to the puzzle, we should just count our blessings if we are doing well and try to help and encourage those that may be taking a little longer to get to the finish line.

Amy Jo, you are an inspiration! I love reading about how well you're doing. I love reading that a woman in her 70s is so active and is LIVING life. That is a beautiful thing.

I have a strange questions for all of you. After I sit for awhile or elevate for awhile and stand up. Both my legs feel weak sort of like limp noodles ready to collapse. I remember this feeling when I use to swim long distances under water. Is it because I have been so sedentary and gotten weaker or poor circulation or what? When I asked my PCP a couple weeks ago he thought it was from the anesthesia. Of course my wild imagination has me with MS, ALS or heart problems. I just wondered if any of you experienced this.

It always took a few steps to feel as if my legs were under me and ready to go. It felt as if I had to acclimate myself to my knee. I thought it was possibly due to the blood flow from elevating and then down.

Today is my 12 week anniversary. The time when you are suppose to be able to do all your normal stuff. I am still reluctant to go down stairs the normal way. Yesterday I had my first session with the personal trainer. When I walked in the door everyone cheered and I got hugs from the trainers. Wow! He asked me what I cannot do and I told him deep squats, deep lunges and anything that twists the knee. He was very careful with me but worked the uppers hard. I am a little sore today but it feels wonderful to be back getting in shape. I was able to walk 0.6 miles on the treadmill without a problem. Life is returning to normal slowly. Now I am motivated to take off the extra pounds I put on once my appetite came back. Soon (Sept. 7) I'll be golfing. Yea! Thanks for the support along the way. You are part of why this has been successful.

A personal trainer. That is admirable. Good for you Amy Jo. I don't know as 12 weeks is a deadline for everyone, but you've done well.

My original OS said I shouldn't think of returning to work until 12 weeks, but that it could take a year to feel 100%.

12 weeks is not a deadline. It's an approximation of when you can BEGIN to get back to normal. Amy Jo I'm glad that you are doing so well but be careful with slowly adding back exercises and increasing activity.

That is great Amy Jo,you are meeting all of your goals :dancy:

Wow! So happy for you. You are an inspiration to me.

You're doing very well, Amy Jo. It takes some people 4 months or more before they can manage stairs, both up and down, with one foot at a time. It will come.

Don't overdo the work with your personal trainer. Continue to avoid deep squats, lunges, and twisting movements - they're never good for an artificial knee.

I'm 12 weeks today and not back to normal yet, maybe 2/3 there. You are such an inspiration, Amy Jo. Enjoy your personal training. One day you'll be training others!

I hope you had a great, fun filled weekend with your new knee!!!

@Floridagal. I, too, have noodle legs when I first get up! It takes a couple of steps before I feel that I can navigate very well. I think that is pretty much normal. I am 6 weeks out. Now, I have a question for you, and @Josephine, Does the weather affect your knees? My husband says it is because a front is coming in and the barometric pressure goes down. My knees have been hurting more lately. We do have a tropical storm coming through. Of course, it could be the more walking and less meds doing it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

@34120, I had definitely noticed more knee pain when the weather is going through a change. My knees have done this for years and I was hoping it would go away with the new knee, but it hasn't yet. But, I do expect it to once all the healing is done!

My husbands rheumatologist told him that change in air pressure affects the joints. I have experienced too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
barbieq39
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom