Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also hiked the worst kept secret in PA, Tumbling Run. The trail is at Tumbling Run Game Preserve, on private land, and marked "No Trespassing". So naturally everyone trespasses and hikes it. Trouble is that to follow the series of small cascades on Tumbling Run you have to cross the stream repeatedly. So this was a common happening for me....



Still, it was a pleasant afternoon viewing the series of falls...
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
Neil, you are the intrepid hiker. Your pictures are, as always, wonderful.
 
All was not perfect during the weekend. On Sunday I took the long way down Pole Steeple. The overlook passes near the Appalachian Trail, which snakes through Pine Grove Furnace State Park. So for folks hiking the AT who wish to see the overlook or who don't want to climb the steep trail up there's a connector trail. The AT crosses a road that leads to the parking lot for Pole Steeple. So you can hike a steep 2 mile round trip or take the connecting trail and AT and road back for 4.5 miles. Since it was a nice day I chose the latter.

The connector trail was flattish, soft with pine needles, and fast underfoot. The birds were singing and I was confident. So confident I didn't notice the tree root looped out of the ground. My right foot caught on it, and I went down. As I was landing I must have had a thought to preserve my knees and my camera, because I basically belly flopped onto the trail. Somehow or other my left shoe came off and went down the trail a few feet.

Once I realized I was horizontal I did a quick check if anything was broken. Nothing seemed to be, so I struggled to my feet. Kneeling is uncomfortable under normal circumstances, let alone on dirt and pine needles. I got up, did a quick inventory, and then went in search of my missing shoe. Fortunately a size thirteen bright orange Brooks Cascadia tends to stand out in the woods, so I quickly found it.

A couple of hikers came along a minute later and asked if I was OK. They noticed the dirt on my shirt and shorts and blood on my right knee. I explained what happened, and fortunately they had a first aid kit in their pack. I wiped down my wounds and put Neosporin on them. I then thanked them, they went on their way, and I slowly made my way down the AT and the road back to my car. I cancelled the rest of my hiking for the day.

My pride seemed to be the biggest injury I had. But I did have soreness on the left rib cage area, scratches on my left knee, and odd abrasion marks on the back of my left ankle. The latter is a puzzle; how did I get them? My guess is that at some point something rubbed the back of my ankle - but what? The hiking pole? My other foot? The tree root?
 
I've decided to move my outdoor writing to a blog. My first post, about Tumbling Run, is up.

https://atasteforthewoods.blogspot.com/

Since I've more or less recovered from my surgery, there's less need for me to keep posting here. I'll always be a part of the BoneSmart community, as long as I'm welcome. But please visit my blog as well.

Thank you, all, for the support you gave me as I underwent the procedure that both changed my life and gave it back to me.
 
Neil, I bookmarked your blog and will look in once in a while. I tried to leave a comment, but I guess I a) have to sign up for something and b) need some sort of app for the iPad to be able to do so. Nice first entry!
 
Neil, I bookmarked your blog and will look in once in a while. I tried to leave a comment, but I guess I a) have to sign up for something and b) need some sort of app for the iPad to be able to do so. Nice first entry!


Sorry, I fixed the setting. Anyone can comment now.
 
Neil, I recently had BTKR on 6/10/13 and have just finished reading your entire thread. What an inspirational journey. Thank you for giving me more courage to face my daily battles with my knees and my weight!

Hope all is well with you!

Luisa
 
Hi Neil, It seems to require me to set up a Google account and gmail, which I don't need or want otherwise. Does this sound right?
 
Not a blog post yet, just a photo..... I hiked up from the bottom of the gorge. Yes, knee replacement was worth it. My knees were the only parts of me that weren't sore.
 
Good to read your summer is going pretty well and you are doing a lot of fun rides, hikes, photo shots, and blogs.
 
Neil, I recently had BTKR on 6/10/13 and have just finished reading your entire thread. What an inspirational journey. Thank you for giving me more courage to face my daily battles with my knees and my weight!

Hope all is well with you!

Luisa

Thanks. But I've done nothing special. I just wanted to be active again.

BTW here's how I celebrated the anniversary of my first ride on the new hardware.

https://atasteforthewoods.blogspot.com/2013/08/holmes-county-trail-july-2013.html

32 miles. And the guy I rode with has a replacement knee and hip.
 
I 'celebrated' fall last night by almost doing just that. On a flat, gravel trail I tripped on my right foot and stumbled forward about a dozen feet. I didn't hit the ground and the new hardware was fine, but my nerves were shaken for the rest of my hike, and I've been brooding on it since. Anyone else become clumsier since surgery?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom