Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW one reason I keep this thread active more than two years after surgery is that I want all these new people to see what you can do after surgery. Don't think small, there's a big world ahead of you.

[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
 
Hi,
Thanks for sharing the pics with all of us! It's been over a year since my TKR, but I want you to know that your posts were so encouraging to me while I was recovering. I'm glad that you still come back and post.
Vickie
 
You're doing GREAT. I really like your pictures of your hiking adventures. Thanks for the update. I haven't been hiking yet, but my hubby and I have recently joined a health club that has free membership for "Silver Sneakers" members (with our insurance). So I'm hoping to build up some strength in my legs (and the rest of me) for "doing" stairs, etc. easier. Thanks again.:yes!:
 
Hi @TheHistorian

Thank you for posting those beautiful photos. You really have got your life back and you're living it to the full!
 
Life is the adventure. These were only ports of call.
Many thanks for the illustrated account of your journey - not only of your recovery and healthier lifestyle, but of your ever-expanding world. I am touched by the many photos of your shoes pointing straight ahead. I am early on in my own BTKR recovery, and already know that it was the best decision ever for me. My goals were small - I wanted to get up from a chair without pain and to be able to stand in place for more than a minute or two without looking for a seat. I wanted to make small local excursions and to take far away river and ocean cruises without worrying about whether my knees would support me. You have shown me how much more there is to life, and not to be afraid to expand my horizons. Thanks for sharing. I wish you many happy trails.
 
Hi Neil! It's been two years for me, and I'm poking around checking on some of my old timers! You had a great two year update and fantastic photos of the road you are traveling! Keep on keeping on!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've been a little busy over the past month.....

New website:
broken link removed: https://atasteforthewoods.com/

Two backpacking trips.
One afternoon canoeing.
Hikes in various spots in PA.
Scenic railroad ride.
New friends made.
Hundreds of photos.
Radio interview about the website.

AND.... my debut as a public speaker. Responses ran from "excellent for your first time" to "you need Toastmasters."

broken link removed: https://atasteforthewoods.com/?page_id=1204

Note that I stood for nearly 50 minutes while speaking. Hard to imagine I'd ever be able to do that!

 
BTW, two years into my recovery, I am still changing. My weight is 305-ish, and now I've developed plantar problems and have to use an orthotic. But aside from that my feet are now back up to a size 13. From left to right, my old size 12 hiking boots, my new size 13.5 boots, and my troublesome right foot.

Incidentally, my nerve damage from straightening my right leg has never been fully repaired. I still get swelling in the foot and odd nerve pain. Fortunately its something I can live with. The nerve pain isn't unbearable and if I get a lot of swelling near the end of my shift I will slip my shoe off under my desk.
 
My second backpacking trip, on the Appalachian Trail in PA. My tent is on the left. Yes, MY tent. I can get up off the ground on my own! My pack and poles are in the middle of the photo.

Oh, and because I spent a night on the AT, I now have a trail name - DancesWithBears!
 
WOW!!! Fantastic. First time I have seen your thread. Looks like it will take a while to catch up on this one.
 
Warning - lots of whining early on. But two years out I can say that aside from losing 160 pounds having bilateral knee replacement is the best thing I've ever done.
 
Very cool. Looking forward to your next set of pics and posts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom