Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down a couple more pounds, for a total of 27 in three months. I look much better. And some times I look fantastic...
 
Oh, and another die was cast this afternoon. One guess which Bonesmart poster and his 400 pound shadow is doing a 5k on April 7?
 
Do you mean 5k run i have done most things swim walk cycle even back mending cars but running no not yet and do not fancy anyway I wish you best you have the determination and the metal work .
 

Notice both feet face forward in the photo? That happened without thinking. That's a sign of progress. If my posture minds itself.....
 
Descending the slope in Warwick County Park Saturday. As I wrote, Chris had to talk me through it.
 
Have you ever used hiking poles? That looks like a good place to have had them. I'm going to Utah in April and will be attempting some easy hikes in Snow Canyon State Park near St. George. I'm thinking about taking the hiking poles I have that I have never used.
 
Trekking poles are a great tool for hiking up and down hilly, vertical terrain. It's like having 4-wheel drive. They are great for stream crossings, especially across logs, and they really do take the pressure off your joints going down steeper trails and slopes. Also, they are easy to use...takes very little practice to get a natural motion going.
 
I have cheap hiking poles from Target, but I prefer not to use them. I have when I've known I'd have difficult terrain. For example, when I hiked up Pole Steeple in central PA in 2010.





And since I'm hiking down Memory Lane here, I had to descend the mountain in a thunderstorm. I was soaked, and I felt awesome, so I had a photo taken.



If I neglect to bring a pole, I can often find a walking stick somewhere. This is from the Charcoal Trail in Caledonia State Park, 17 miles from Pole Steeple. I hiked both them the same long weekend in 2010. Brief story behind this photo.... I'd just begun Euflexa treatment on my knees, and I was struggling with my joints and my weight. I met another hiker on the trail, and we hiked together. He told me of his struggles to give up smoking, and his rebuilding his life after his wife's divorce. I talked about my knees and how I'd lost 160 pounds and turned my life around. After Mike and I got down from the mountain and were headed back to the camping area he suggested we pray. As both of us are Christians, we formed a two person prayer circle in the middle of the trail and prayed for each other. I'll probably never meet him again but I'll never forget that hike thanks to that moment.
 
Have you ever used hiking poles? That looks like a good place to have had them. I'm going to Utah in April and will be attempting some easy hikes in Snow Canyon State Park near St. George. I'm thinking about taking the hiking poles I have that I have never used.

Poles are definitely a personal choice as the Historian notes. Terrain play a big role. Going off-trail or when in alpine terrain they can be a big help. I'm not familiar with Snow Canyon, but the St. George area is largely desert and canyon terrain...don't count on finding a walking stick.
 
Lol! Indeed, no fallen branches to count on! I've been there once before and remember rocks, gravel and sand. I'll be avoiding the deep sand like a plague!
 
Trekking poles are a great tool for hiking up and down hilly, vertical terrain. It's like having 4-wheel drive. They are great for stream crossings, especially across logs, and they really do take the pressure off your joints going down steeper trails and slopes. Also, they are easy to use...takes very little practice to get a natural motion going.

Looking forward to a hike with stream crossings. I suggested we ford French Creek on Saturday, but my hiking companion objected because it was cold out and he hates wet feet. I'll bring my poles next time and a cattle prod to get Chris into the water. I was going to ford the creek a couple feet above the cascades; the creek is no more than calf-deep there.
 
The end of the hike on Saturday was at the "bridge to nowhere" in Warwick County Park. Chester County removed a 120 year old footbridge over French Creek in Phoenixville and moved to to the park for use as an observation platform.
 
Good walking country Chris has great hiking shoes water will drain quick out of them.No biking at moment we still have plenty of snow and too cold for walking far.It is only spring here will warm up in a few months HOPEFULLY.
 
Decided to give up cycling, at least for now. I'm tired of struggling with bikes when hiking is now so easy for me. Comparatively easy, that is.
 
Does this mean you won't do your ride for MS then?
 
Spent the weekend hiking and walking in various locations. Levittown, PA, with Chris looking like an Easter egg:



Pottstown with my mother:



Red Bank, NJ, with a friend recovering from an auto accident - just a walk around town - and on Monday morning a hike at Reading's Pagoda with my friend Sayre. My oddly-named friend is now marking three years of maintaining his 160 pound weight loss and his first return trip north since moving to Florida and so we squeezed in a hike. Mount Penn isn't tall but the hiking trails are switchbacks and I was swollen by the end.
 
Does this mean you won't do your ride for MS then?

I'm still serving as team captain of Team Clydesdale and I could probably do one of the shorter distances. But as my balance problems haven't improved, I'm not riding the century. Cycling has always been physically hard on me, and I don't have anything to prove.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom