Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to believe that you do not have any snow at this early stage of spring!!
 
Keep it going strong. I always look forward to the Historian's pics and posts.
 
From the hike Monday. I had to not only climb these stairs, but also crawl under the tree across them. At the top I had to climb over a fence.... and I needed Sayre to grab my legs because I didn't have enough flexibility to get over.
 
Hi i do not take pics silly of me but went for a walk in derbyshire sun finally out but the snow in most places still very deep but manage 5 miles SUNNY but cold.
 
Wow, that's some climb. Well done. You can be proud of yourself.
 
Wow, that's some climb. Well done. You can be proud of yourself.

Thanks. Pennsylvania is one of the more difficult hiking states in the US, not because the mountains are steep or high, but because the terrain is rocky. Most of the rock is shale or slate, and the scree is pretty nasty stuff to hike on. The old joke is that PA is where hiking boots go to die.

I was slow on the climb and picking through the rocks, but I was both more confident and surer-footed than before. Even my ankles felt better. Having legs that aren't knocked-kneed paid off in other body parts, it seemed.

Round trip was three miles, so it wasn't terribly long, but it was a workout. Chris and I planned to ride at a nearby flat rail trail afterward, but both of us were worn out. I'm still working to get my stamina back.

What's great about this hike is that if I can do this, I can do other PA trails I've eyed.... Bake Oven Knob, which is short, rocky, and nearby. The Pinnacle, which is the overlook facing the North Lookout - you can see it on the mountain in this photo from yesterday:



.... and other PA climbs.

As for my knees, they functioned OK, but I was developing swelling and stiffness going up to the North Lookout. But nothing bad. I did have some momentary discomfort during those moments of lateral motion I came on as I hiked down, but nothing serious. My stamina was more of a problem.

As far as gear goes, I didn't use hiking poles, and I was running late so I hiked in the sneakers I was wearing instead of my hiking boots. Dodson and Chris also eschewed hiking poles. Dodson brought a backpack and wore trail runners, and Chris, well, the kindest remark we can make is that he dressed as he usually does. How he managed to hike in Crocs I don't know, but I won't question their usefulness for hiking after yesterday.

Chris and I back at the Visitor Center.



Hawk Mountain is the world's first conservancy group for raptors. For more information on Hawk Mountain, what they do, and planning a visit go to https://www.hawkmountain.org/
 
Nice hike and climb, Neil! You may not be back (or forward) to where you hope to be, but you are doing great!
 
Hiking I'm far in advance of where I was. Not so much in miles or speed, but in difficulty. I'm going to struggle getting up from the ground, but I believe I can do it so I can camp again. I can't see I'll have problems with swimming or rowing. Now if I can only solve my problems on the bikes....
 
Well Neil you can always get a caravan then you can sleep in a bed ,unless like me when ou grandkids come i have to sleep in tent so i practise getting up from ground.I still have problems with bike in that left leg is now longer with it being straight but after a mile i get used to having pedal under my heel this way peddaling is comfortable.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
It still the old TIME & PATIENCE, Neil. Us knee folks just can't seem to get away from that, can we? Just have the patience to give yourself time, and you will reach your goals---just keep having fun while you work toward them---that's what counts.


I love Chris' outfits---bright, warm, happy colors---and those Crocs are to die for!!!!!
 
Down two more pounds, despite an activity level less than I'd hoped for and my eating not being as controlled as I'd like.

Still formulating my weekend plans, but they should be challenging. Hiking, and another attempt at riding.
 
I wish i had your will power my loss is still zero despite swimming 3 times a week and using indoor bike every day .Also i know it is not muscle i am putting on as i keep being told or i would be like swarzenager ?.Week end plans slow walk with my brother he was in RAF to see Dam buster Dam or Derwent Reservoir he is up for a few days 79 and likes slow walk now.Weather finally picking up so bike out when brother goes home.
 
Oh, its not will power. I don't have any. Its eating less and better, and exercising. I track what I eat and what I do, and I keep a positive attitude - or at least try to.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
It still the old TIME & PATIENCE, Neil. Us knee folks just can't seem to get away from that, can we? Just have the patience to give yourself time, and you will reach your goals---just keep having fun while you work toward them---that's what counts.


I love Chris' outfits---bright, warm, happy colors---and those Crocs are to die for!!!!!

Thanks.

Best comments made about Chris' attire Sunday were that people come to Hawk Mountain to see raptors, but they can also see a peacock today, and a quip that Chris was entertaining at a children's party immediately after the hike.
 
Just challenged a running friend who was in a serious car accident last year to choose his comeback 5K. He did, an event in March 2014, and I committed to run/walk it with him. He has a goal now. A recovery means little without a goal.

Matty and me in Red Bank, NJ, two weeks ago. We got to compare notes about how much metal we have in our legs. The doctors told him he may never walk again. He's walking. :happydance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
How wonderful! You're a true friend, Neil. Will want pictures of you guys walk/running in this event next year. I'm excited for both of you.
 
Special plans for the weekend. I expect to have a big bucket of awesome to share with people.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom