Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems a bit strong, I'd want to query it. It's not as if you've just had a sniffle, this is serious.

It's a professional workplace. Clients can visit. Also, I can wear 'real' shoes to church, and so I really can't justify to my mind showing up in Nikes at work. Anyway I have more than one pair of shoes suitable for work, so I'll just wear another pair.
 
Oh goodness, you sure sound discouraged, and of course we care. Did you go get a mani/pedi to pick-you-up? :th_heehee: Seriously though it looks like you went back through posts and realized that you are cared about and that is good.

Wearing shoes to church, which is what about an hour or so hardly compares to your work day, even though it is not a full day. I sure hope that you have a pair of shoes that are comfortable enough, otherwise I would definitely query the idea of wearing sneakers as Roy suggested.

Well, I do hope that you were able to get some sleep and that today goes better at work, comfort wise for sure. Hang in there!

I do hope that you are upmto the trip and climb on June 30th as well.
 
I've spent my homebound recovery in a pair of sneakers, but I can't wear them to the office.
That seems a bit strong, I'd want to query it. It's not as if you've just had a sniffle, this is serious.
It's a professional workplace. Clients can visit.
Fair enough; that justifies having a pair of posh shoes available for when they do (I've known people with suit, shirt, tie and shoes in the 'emergency cupboard'.)
Also, I can wear 'real' shoes to church, and so I really can't justify to my mind showing up in Nikes at work.
Again, fair enough, it's your call. I'm only questioning at all to the extent that you may (perhaps) be being harder on yourself than you might need to be?
 
I suspected the first day back to work would be something of a challange, and it was. It should get easier and easier as time goes on.

Now about those shoes----if you don't have a pair that are suitable for work and that remain comfortable for the whole work day, why not buy an inexpensive pair in a wider width to accomodate swelling? Just a thought.

And you MUST NOT think that your BoneSmartie family does not love you. Of course we do----why would we put up with you otherwise :th_heehee:. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. We do care and we are interested--so keep us up to date.
 
Historian especially in your case, you probably will not be able to wear any of your tka shoes. The wear pattern is set in them to go inward and now, your foot will struggle to stand up straight.

My pre tka shoes just killed my feet--and my case was not nearly as severe as yours. This is the time to shoe shop and get at least one pair of a walking type shoe that is acceptable at the office. I agree with Roy that they should be a little more adaptable after a person has major surgery.
 
Historian especially in your case, you probably will not be able to wear any of your tka shoes. The wear pattern is set in them to go inward and now, your foot will struggle to stand up straight.

My pre tka shoes just killed my feet--and my case was not nearly as severe as yours. This is the time to shoe shop and get at least one pair of a walking type shoe that is acceptable at the office. I agree with Roy that they should be a little more adaptable after a person has major surgery.

Its not a wear pattern issue. Its that my right foot is more swollen than the left.
 
Historian,

You might want to try a dark colored pair of NIKES that would look a bit more appropriate, or least not stand out in a crowd. Afterall look at these actors that go to awards shows and wear there tux with running shoes, good enough for them good enough for you.

Please dont feel we don't love you. I look forward everyday to reading your thread, you always seem to put a smile on my face everyday.
 
Really. If you are wearing the same shoes as before surgery, you might be doing yourself a disservice. Regardless, you are back in the swing of things and time will resolve even the swelling issues. Be well my friend!
 
Really. If you are wearing the same shoes as before surgery, you might be doing yourself a disservice. Regardless, you are back in the swing of things and time will resolve even the swelling issues. Be well my friend!

My right foot swelling has everything to do with nerve damage and the extensive correction, and nothing to do with any wear pattern on the shoes. Anyway the shoes in question were tried on in the store and worn once before surgery.
 
Second day went well enough, but I was drained. I was so tired I actually slept through the night. Bonesmart readers know this is a rare event.
 
I'm not going to turn the thread into a day by day blog of my work experience, but things went well last night. Less swelling in my right foot. Still a lot of clicking as I move around in my chair - adjustable height, swivel base. I was fatigued in the third hour but I suspect its just getting used to work, and its nothing that coffee couldn't fix. (Said coffee kept me up late, however.) I'll see how today and next week goes, and if all is OK I'll see about returning full time.

Oh, and I celebrated three months since surgery yesterday. Finally got a hair cut. :thumb:
 
HAPPY 3 MONTH ANNIVERSARY! LOOK HOW FAR YOU'VE COME!

Happy to see that things continue to go well and that there are small improvements along the way. Hope the sleeping thing becomes a regular occurance for you.

Are you saying you haven't had a haircut in 3 months? Must have looked like a wild man!:hysterical:

Take care, Neil, and keep us posted. We care.
 

Are you saying you haven't had a haircut in 3 months? Must have looked like a wild man!:hysterical:

More like an aging hippie. I normally keep my hair buzz-cut in summer. Its easier to look presentable after three days of not bathing if you have fuzz instead of hair. It's also easier to find and remove ticks. Darn... now I miss camping again....
 
Today was brutal. Up at 7, spent a few hours wasting time, ate, slept from 11 to 1, went for a blood draw and ran an errand, back home, ate, got ready for work, drove in, spent 4 hours growing tired, stopped for groceries and gas on the way back, got caught in a massive rain cell, and now am resting. Hard to believe I used to ride metric centuries pulling a 40 pound trailer filled with camping gear.
 
I hesitate to post this here, but since I've discussed the PE.... I've been having off again, on again coughing fits bringing up phlegm. The coughing is either during or after eating. The phlegm is clear mucus, no blood, no discoloration. I've had it three time this week - once on Monday two hours after eating (and a short nap in a chair while an uncle droned on about flying fighters in 'Nam) , and twice today. First time was perhaps because I ate too quickly before heading off for the blood draw. Second was on the way home tonight - I was drinking a frozen latte.

I'd heard that the breakup of a PE can bring on coughing up phlegm, but I understood said sputum to be pink and frothy. I've not had that. Nor have I had this problem before my knee replacement. I've never had acid reflux. I do have a problem with dairy products, which I take in moderation. I'd consumed dairy before both episodes today. I hadn't on Monday.

Any suggestion as to what may be causing it? (First person who suggests its because of the wear pattern on my shoes has to give me a pedicure....)
 
Speaking of which, my doctor called and said once again my INR reading is in the theraputic range, so if I'm comfortable with it he suggests getting blood drawn once a month instead of once every two weeks. It's been 2.5 months since the blood clot was discovered.
 
Wow! Actually, I have no suggestions at all, and am not intricately familiar with the wear pattern of your shoes. But I used to always cough up phlem after eating, some things must have caused it more than others. It was just reading this that I realize I don't do it any more. Wonder when that stopped?
 
Wow! Actually, I have no suggestions at all, and am not intricately familiar with the wear pattern of your shoes. But I used to always cough up phlem after eating, some things must have caused it more than others. It was just reading this that I realize I don't do it any more. Wonder when that stopped?

Happened again this morning. Two fistfuls of the stuff, clear with no discoloration at all. 'm breathing better but I'm grossed out.

I wonder if its because I'm pretty sedentary at the moment? One danger of being sedentary or bedbound is that fluid collects in the lungs. Eating generally means I'm active and upright.
 
Stamina continues to be a big problem for me. For instance, I visited the local Relay for Life last night, and left after a half hour because I was tired. Highlight of the night was that I took the stairs two at a time and didn't realize I was doing it until I was at the top.

I got nothing today. No energy at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom