Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fools and idiots, not worth arguing with them. They will only bring you down to their level, and they have more experience than you.

Resting is never bad. Sounds like you just needed to catch up a bit.

Rain isn't helping me. Its drizzling and I'm creaky. I have PT this morning, surgeon this afternoon, and insurance company sometime today. We are negotiating a back to work date. I'll probably be going back this week on a part time basis.
 
No, I slept most of the day for some reason. Ditto today, when I skipped church and canceled lunch with my mother. I'm both massively tired and sore, even though I haven't been doing much. Next follow up with the surgeon is tomorrow, I'll see what he says.

Sounds like you got some much needed rest then. :thumb:

I hope that your check up, pt, insurance meeting etc. all go well, and that your creakiness passes. Have a good day.
 
Rain isn't helping me. Its drizzling and I'm creaky. I have PT this morning, surgeon this afternoon, and insurance company sometime today. We are negotiating a back to work date. I'll probably be going back this week on a part time basis.

Honey badger powers failed me. Insurance didn't call as scheduled. Surgeon's appointment is tomorrow, not today. Physical therapy went badly, as I was "very tight" and all my measurements were worse than a week ago, meaning I've lost range of motion. And it's still raining.

I abridged the PT session today, and I'm annoyed they wanted me to continue despite the fact I advised them I was in pain and had swelling in both joints. I think they've served their purpose; I'm going to ask the surgeon if we can discontinue outpatient PT. I have no intention of spending time and money on a chase for a three extension on the left hamstring instead of a 5, which I got today, or the 4 I achieved Thursday.​
I can do this on my own.

BTW, when I wrote I lost ROM, I didn't lose much - I dropped from 130 to 125 and 120. Those are still excellent numbers.

Scar on the left leg seems to be widening. I hope this is normal. The warmth in both knees I'm assuming is from the swelling. I pray its not a horror story unfolding.
 
The warmth you are feeling can come from any swelling you have going on. Remember, you really aren't that far out from your surgery!!! As for the scar widening.....it sounds like it may just be flattening down a bit which is also normal but might make it appear wider. As long as you don't see any unusual reddening or drainage from your scar, you should be just fine.
 
The warmth you are feeling can come from any swelling you have going on. Remember, you really aren't that far out from your surgery!!! As for the scar widening.....it sounds like it may just be flattening down a bit which is also normal but might make it appear wider. As long as you don't see any unusual reddening or drainage from your scar, you should be just fine.

No drainage, but it looks more purple than it did last week. On Thursday the therapist said he'd seen scars change color like that and suggested rubbing some ointment across it to soften the skin.
 
No drainage, but it looks more purple than it did last week. On Thursday the therapist said he'd seen scars change color like that and suggested rubbing some ointment across it to soften the skin.

I've been advised to use cocoa butter, but I said that's a product no guy would ever keep in his medicine chest. It's a slippery slope thing; one minute you stock cocoa butter in the medicine chest, the next thing you know you are listening to the Dave Matthews Band and have strange urges to watch The Notebook or Sex in the City episodes. Shortly following you develop mood swings and lose the ability to urinate from a standing position.....
 
Mine stayed warm for some three months or so. Warmed more with exercise. I recall my PT and I joking about the moving bruising throughout my lower leg the whole time I was in his care.

For the record... I used a lotion with some aroma therapy properties, stress relief. Already had it for my dry elbows in the winter. Did it help? I don't know. Guys don't always have that bit of firmware installed and mine is usually corrupted or 4 versions behind. My knee isn't any hairier than before the TKR and I can't imagine watching those shows you mention or even type them... And I still stand...:snork:
 
So, The big thing that I heard you say was "rain isn't helping me, it's drizzling, and I'm creaky."

I was feeling more pain, tightness etc. one day and my mom asked if it is going to rain. It was a rainy day. This is not just an 'old wives tale' change in the barometric pressure does affect these achy joints and it is no surprise to me that you have less rom on a day like that.

I would think on a day like that one might just call it a good day to cancel pt for the day. Also, listen to your own body. That body seemed to need a good deal of rest this weekend and you allowed that, good job! You may come out after a few days of extra rest and caring for yourself with a 'jump' forwardnin your progress.

BTW, when did you get all worried about this 'feminine' thing? You don't want to do cocoa butter, but weren't you one of the guys that was going to go out and get a mani/pedi last week???:hysterical:

Now IMO you can fuss a bit longer, but then get yourself back up and do one of those 'pick-me-ups' that we were talking about last week. :friends: and cheer up buddy!
 
Finally some good news. Surgeon was impressed with my recovery so far. I'm cleared to return to work on a part time basis day after Memorial Day, and I can discontinue outpatient physical therapy. The scars look normal, my walking is very good for 10 weeks, quads are coming along in his opinion, and the nerve damage recovery is as good as can be expected. He did suggest a full blood panel at the next INR draw, since I complained of fatigue.​
 
BRAVO!!! Doing fine brother... Just keep doing what you can as you can.
 


Now IMO you can fuss a bit longer, but then get yourself back up and do one of those 'pick-me-ups' that we were talking about last week. :friends: and cheer up buddy!

Well, my mood has brightened a bit since the meeting with my surgeon. I feel better about my progress. And I'm cheering myself up tonight by indulging in reading one of my guilty pleasures: classic true crime. For instance, this is the 120th anniversary of one of the true classic murders, the story of a nice WASP woman in New England who when provoked by her parents went from Anglo to Saxon at the drop of an ax. I write, of course, about Lizzie Borden.



Abby Borden sleeping the big sleep in the guest bedroom. The Borden home, incidentally, has been restored and operates as a bed and breakfast / museum. For 250 dollars a night you can sleep in the room where Mrs Borden breathed her last. To bring this back to Bonesmart I might take a trip to the Borden house when I've recovered from surgery.....

https://www.lizzie-borden.com/index.php/about-the-house/the-rooms?showall=&start=3

And yes, despite the jury's verdict, I think Lizzie did it. :DOH:
 
Congratulations on your good report from your surgeon. :thumb: I do hope that your fatigue is not anything other than your body needing a bit of extra rest.

Good for you indulging in reading one of your favorites. That sounds quite interesting that you can go visit the place later.

Well, keep resting, recovering and I hope that your return to work goes well.
 
Great report!!! It's always a wonderful feeling to hit one of those big milestones.
 
After you initial problems, you have done remarkably well. I suppose you are looking forward to being back at work. I think the phase it at just 4 hours a day is a good thing for you. It's probably going to be tiring in the beginning--getting back into the swing of things and changing your routine.

You know all the things you need to do to take care of yourself and your knees---so just be sure you do them.

Take care--keep us posted--don't forget us because you're getting back to "normal". We care.
 
I enjoy reading murder mysteries set in Victorian or Edwardian England. That was such an interesting period. I just finished re reading Great expectations-I love Dickens--he is my comfort food author.

I was thinking of my reading during this recovery. I have re read the Chronicles of Narnia, the Ring Series and then the life of C. S .Lewis which was fascinating. I have also read the Hobbit, and Anne of Green Gables---all books that I know and love and have read a 100 times. Oh yes, I just finished Little Women too!!
 
After you initial problems, you have done remarkably well. I suppose you are looking forward to being back at work. I think the phase it at just 4 hours a day is a good thing for you. It's probably going to be tiring in the beginning--getting back into the swing of things and changing your routine.

You know all the things you need to do to take care of yourself and your knees---so just be sure you do them.

Take care--keep us posted--don't forget us because you're getting back to "normal". We care.

I don't feel excited about it. I think I'm down because my progress is flattening out. Moving from being bedbound to being on a walker, or from a walker to a cane, is a big deal. Going from 125 to 130 ROM is much less of one. Also, as long as my quads are AWOL I'm unable to do things such as camp or get out of a boat.
 
Don't worry, your quads will wake up. Are they using e-stym in pt? That is what helped with me. K
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom