Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry, your quads will wake up. Are they using e-stym in pt? That is what helped with me. K

No more PT, and no stimulation was used. On talking with the PT folks they advised me stimulation was used for people with chronic problems leading to muscle atrophy, not knee replacements. Besides, when I complain about the quads its not as if they don't work at all. They merely don't work as they should. Once I rise to a certain position they kick in and bring me to a standing posture.
 
All takes time. I can promise that your first days back at work will be tiring beyond what you expect. But at the same time, as you noted, the big progress points are behind. But progress is progress regardless. Every few days you'll notice yourself doing something different, or doing more than in the weeks before. And sometimes you won't notice, but others will.

If you have access to pool and jacuzzi, swimming is an excellent way to work those quads.
 
Should I worry about getting out of breath climbing stairs? I can't tell if that's a knee replacement problem or a pulmonary embulism problem.
 
could you be anemic? That was a problem for me with my first tka. K
 
Not being a doc, I would say its just your cardio. I am STILL behind on cardio from where I was the day before my accident.
 
Not being a doc, I would say its just your cardio. I am STILL behind on cardio from where I was the day before my accident.
Similarly without qualifications, I agree. Did you climb stairs before surgery?

I get puffed now climbing stairs two at a time; but then I haven't climbed stairs two at a time for oohmumbleinaudible years.
 
I agree with the train of thought here, that it is lack of stamina and conditioning for this,, unless this is something that is different TODAY from every other day, and then I would call your local urgent care. Oh, wait - you don't have anything local. Good luck! (I'm sure you're okay.)
 
I agree with the train of thought here, that it is lack of stamina and conditioning for this,, unless this is something that is different TODAY from every other day, and then I would call your local urgent care. Oh, wait - you don't have anything local. Good luck! (I'm sure you're okay.)

I might be on the border of Westsylvania, but I'm still close enough to Philadelphia that I have hospitals nearby. Anyway I've noticed the getting out of breath almost entirely on stair climbing. And I'm usually carrying something or other when climbing stairs - laundry today, for instance. I have no idea how long it takes a PE to break up - I've been on Coumadin for two months past the discovery of the PE. It could be my breathing is restricted still from the clot.
 
Similarly without qualifications, I agree. Did you climb stairs before surgery?

I get puffed now climbing stairs two at a time; but then I haven't climbed stairs two at a time for oohmumbleinaudible years.

My bedroom is on the second floor of my home, so I climbed stairs every day. At the moment I walk up bringing one foot next to the other, and using a cane. I've been occasionally out of breath in PT, but not to the extent I have been on the stair climb. Nor as consistently. No tightness in my chest, which was one of the signs of the PE when it was caught.
 
I might be on the border of Westsylvania, but I'm still close enough to Philadelphia that I have hospitals nearby. Anyway I've noticed the getting out of breath almost entirely on stair climbing. And I'm usually carrying something or other when climbing stairs - laundry today, for instance. I have no idea how long it takes a PE to break up - I've been on Coumadin for two months past the discovery of the PE. It could be my breathing is restricted still from the clot.

:blush: Sorry! For some reason, once I started writing, I was thinking of Bill, in the Bush!
 
:blush: Sorry! For some reason, once I started writing, I was thinking of Bill, in the Bush!

Well, I have posted descriptions of some remote places in PA, so the confusion is understandable. But I live 15 minutes from two different hospitals, including the one at which my knee replacement was done.
 

BTW, when did you get all worried about this 'feminine' thing? You don't want to do cocoa butter, but weren't you one of the guys that was going to go out and get a mani/pedi last week???:hysterical:


I could use one. Down in the dumps again. :sigh:
 
I've not so far been able to meet any of my 'recovery challenge' goals. The next one is scheduled for June 30 - Pole Steeple in Micheaux State Forest, about two hours drive from me. It's 7/8 of a mile to the top, so round trip its about two miles. I'd use hiking poles, as I did in 2010:







I just hope I'm up to the trip... and the climb.
 
After you initial problems, you have done remarkably well. I suppose you are looking forward to being back at work. I think the phase it at just 4 hours a day is a good thing for you. It's probably going to be tiring in the beginning--getting back into the swing of things and changing your routine.

You know all the things you need to do to take care of yourself and your knees---so just be sure you do them.

Take care--keep us posted--don't forget us because you're getting back to "normal". We care.

Sniff sniff.... perhaps I AM loved at Bonesmart after all.

Work went OK tonight. I spent the bulk of the time getting my passwords reset. The only problem, and it wasn't much of one, is that my chair is a swivel, adjustable height, and rolling piece of furniture, and my knees were clunking all night long as I moved around in it. Oh, and it rained a LOT, meaning I was a little swollen.

Other slight drawback is the pair of shoes I wore.... my right foot is more swollen than the left, and after four hours I could tell the right shoe was tighter than the left. I've spent my homebound recovery in a pair of sneakers, but I can't wear them to the office.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom