The Highs and Lows of the Pre Op Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JanB
My sentiments exactly and thank you for the hug! :loveshwr:

@hippityhop
Yes, the next few weeks will be flying by! Between several surgery clearance appointments, dental appointments, PT and last minute preparations, I won't have much time to stew over my upcoming surgery. :flwrysmile:
 
@JanB Looks like you and me are the next to go to the other side. I know exactly what you mean about going off meds the week prior and the pain and exhaustion setting in. Trying to get the house ready and working up to the end is tough. I wish you all the best tomorrow and am very excited for you that you'll be on the other side soon! :flwrysmile:I really can't wait for Fri. even though I'm nervous as heck, it's kind of surreal, scared, (you know all of those emotions) but excited to be rid of this pain and working toward recovery. I know it will still involve pain, but it somehow seems like at least that pain will be "positive" pain...working toward healing and getting my life back, whereas this pain is just good for nothing.:blackcloud:Take care and I'll be looking forward to following your recovery thread.
 
@PegGene
Is @BumbleB still having surgery on the 1st, or did I mess up on the dates?
I'm getting pretty nervous (hands sweat whenever I think about my upcoming surgery), but I try to block it out of my mind. I'm dreading these long trips I have to make for my surgery clearance, but hopefully they will keep me distracted. I WAS very brave when my surgery date was over a month away! Lol! God bless and good luck on Friday!
 
Hello everyone! That's my biggest concern at the moment. The NSAIDS- my pre op paperwork states that I can continue to take them up until the day before surgery? Anyone else get to do that? I will ask more in-depth questions when I get there for pre admission testing on Thursday.
 
Hi @sharonslp and @Jaycey
What are your thoughts on someone like me who wants to be smart about her return to work?? Mine is not the regular desk job- I am a therapeutic massage therapist. I have a few clients who require a light touch or lymph drainage. But the remainder of them like moderate to deep pressure with corrective work.
While my surgeon did recommend a phased return he also said I could see how I feel and if I want to try a session at 3-4 weeks then go for it, then act accordingly to how my body reacts. He also recommended trying one session a day or every other day and add more when I felt okay with it.
Thankfully, I found this forum and have done a mental adjustment/reconciliation to something more like 8 weeks.
Part of me thinks about closing the studio for a full 3 months and then beginning the phased return. I worry, though, that if I am not doing something that mimics my work and mechanics, then the return will be super difficult.
I also worry that I will have lost my client base after that long of a period away.
I'd love your opinions on this. :sad:
 
@CricketHip During my preop period I had to discontinue NSAID 5-10 days before surgery. Best wishes!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Baybee
Isn't this interesting! I just had my pre admissions testing and pre op instructions and I am allowed to take my Nabumatone clear up until the day before surgery!
I may still cut it back the week before. Because I am a bit of a worrywart. :)
 
@ CricketHip Isn't it funny how it's basically the same operation for everyone and all doctors seem to say different things. I was told NSAIDs pose an increased bleeding risk, just like aspirin


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I thought so too! so I think I'll feel better tapering off on my own. Plus the pain will help my resolve. ;)
 
Crickethip, I like your doctor's approach to starting with just one session and giving at least a day in between to see how your body reacts. 3 or 4 weeks sounds awfully early to me though.....especially if you are talking about a full hour of massage treatment. That's a long time to be on your feet. 8 weeks is definitely kinder to you....and if you lose clients who can't or won't wait for you, that is still preferable to putting your clients first and jeopardizing your long-term recovery goals.

The one thing I have found the very hardest to recover from....and I guess perhaps I never will....is the difficulty with being on my feet for extended periods of time. I was pleased to be able to handle 20 minute waits with relative ease at Disney World a few weeks ago. But stretching past 20 minutes gets progressively more uncomfortable. I was on my feet for over two hours this morning, helping out at the coffee tent at a fly-in. My hips...the bursa areas, the IT band areas, my lower back and glute areas....none of them are happy with me. I can handle several hours of walking with just a few rest stops, or a couple hours of bike-riding with no trouble. But just standing in one place....not good.

If trying to mimic the mechanics of your work puts too much strain on soft tissue, it will only impede your return. As you phase in, go very slowly. Committing yourself to a full hour at the beginning of your phase-in is risky, I think. Better a week or so of 15 minutes once or twice a day, and see how that feels. Then build up to half hour sessions. And so on. I am basing this based on what I know a massage therapist does when she works on me. I often find myself wondering how she can do this work for long without harming herself.

And a client base changes for many reasons....if you lose clients....you will find new ones. I am certain of this.

Sharon
 
@CricketHip I agree with Sharon. Unfortunately there is no way to predict how you will react to surgery and recovery. Recovery from my first THR took many months and there was not way I could even think about returning to work before at least 12 weeks. My second THR recover was totally different and I was back part time with a phased return at 4 weeks out. I think you just need to schedule short sessions and factor in time to rest. I am sure your clients will understand that you are trying to do what is best for your recovery.
 
@CricketHip Hi, this may not work for you but have you considered hiring a locum of some form to cover your studio whilst you are laid up? So keep the doors open with a skilled practitioner whom you consult with rather than loose all the clients. Just a thought.

Hope the prep is still going ok.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you to @sharonslp and @Jaycey , for your opinions. I am slowly accepting the fact that I may be away from my work for a longer, rather than an abbreviated leave. the idea of shorter sessions is a good idea, too.
@AndyH99 - I have been working on something similar to what you suggested, and currently have a therapist subleasing my space one day a week.
 
Hi there. Newby reading and responding. :)
I'm thinking it's a good thing I got the call about a cancellation on my surgeon's schedule and getting a date for just 3 weeks later. Hopefully, I won't work myself up too much in the interim.
For now, I'm busy organizing things to help my husband and son during my hospital stay and for all of us when I return home. I'm cooking and freezing meals and gathering the post op aids I've heard I'll need.
Sometimes upon waking up in the morning, for a few seconds I'll be either excited or fearful.
I just keep taking deep breaths and telling myself I really need this surgery. I'm so tired of living in a compromised body when I still feel young inside. :yes:
 
@CricketHip thanks for writing what I'm feeling, whenever the pain is not so bad I wonder if I should do this and then on bad days I wonder why I have been waiting! By the way my dogs are Airedale Terriers, I just started agility 1 1/2 years ago when I retired, it is probably why my hip has deteriorated so quickly. I kept thinking it was muscle pain or trigger points and tried to get fitter and work harder, HA! It was a real shock to me to find out it was by hip joint. I had had X-rays in the past and was repeatedly told the hip didn't 'look' bad, now it looks terrible, how does that happen? Counting the days to September 30, can't wait to hear you're done and planning your scuba trip!
 
@CricketHip I take celebrex and can take it the morning of surgery, I guess it depends upon the specific medication. My surgeon uses celebrex for 30 days after surgery too.
 
Hello @DeepBreath ! Welcome to the Forum! I see you are already surfing around and finding some of the great and informative threads/posts. Aren't we so lucky to have found this?
You are the day after my THR.. :thumb:
 
@Plum Perfect
One of the surgeons I spoke with said it's not that unusual for the hip to begin deteriorating at a faster rate for some people. I guess we are some of the "lucky" ones!
But, seriously, we are lucky! We live in a time where there are super good options offered to us.
I count my blessings every single day.. well, I do after I get up and get past the first 30-45 minutes of stiffness, creaking and pain. :snork:
 
Welcome to the fold, Plum Perfect.. I forgot to say that! Thank you for reading and commiserating with me on my pre op thread.. it truly is a series of highs and lows, yes?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom