The Highs and Lows of the Pre Op Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol,, that's a cute way of saying it. you will fly the coop soon. I just know it.
Any more visits from the grandkids coming up soon?
 
I told my daughter she could come in next week...but my bathroom has to stay set up (raised seat) etc. the halls have to stay uncluttered. I got the sweetest text from my grandson last night. He is 7.., one of the crew that came last week. He is worried and just wanted to tell me that he loves me...melts your heart.
Hope you are staying busy. Feel that hip pain. Someone on here had suggested writing in a diary about that pain. It really helped me, especially when I had good days and would question the decision.
Where are you in Philly? I probably wouldn't know as I am a Southern girl, moved here after college. We live in Voorhees ( next to Cherry Hill)
 
@Medfordart That's a good idea about a diary. I will do that, it sounds very helpful.

I live West of Philly. Drexel Hill. I am familiar with Voorhees. We used to have a good friend who lived there. I am probably about an hours drive away from you.
It was a very pretty evening here. I can't really walk our dog but I can take him to a dog park and throw the ball to him. What a pretty sunset! I hope you were able to sit outside and see it.
The questioning is tough, I recall your state of mind prior to your surgery.. does it seem like a long time ago, now?
 
It doesn't seem that long ago, but I am glad I recorded.

I did not get out tonight. I walked a little , and I mean a little this morning. Still having a hard time moving.
I sure hope they move you up!
 
Medfordart. I am getting resigned to the fact that I won't get moved up. I bet my OS is having a vacation break in August, for one thing. It seems like everybody is away in August.
It's ok, I am accumulating quite the list of things that should be in order before the surgery.
 
I still remember my wait far too well, I found out in Feb I needed it, didn't get an actual date till May (August op date) and every day felt like hell on earth and dragging on forever, almost like someone was deliberately slowing time to stop me getting to the op. I sympathise totally as I never thought I'd get to it.

July I gave up hoping for a date change and my wife & I threw ourselves into home renovations and upgrades on top of new crafts education. It did manage to chew up the occasional day quite nicely when I lost myself in something & the pain didn't steal my interest away. As per Murphy's law what could go wrong did go wrong, we got our only toilet and bathroom rippled out so we could have a wet room, three days later my op date was brought forward. The other bit I hadn't mentioned elsewhere is I signed up for a short post grad course (I'm a math and computing junky) and found myself having to cram 3 weeks work into 1 - one of the few times that insomnia helped.

It did get quite surreal at times with everything that was going on, but, it helped me cope as I managed to throw myself into at least one of the challenges for a period every day and survive the interminable wait. Not everyone's cup of tea but sometimes too much is just right

Good luck, keep ticking those days off and stay healthy.

Andy
 
@pamac You are almost there!

I was doing a countdown for the 90 days up til surgery. Talk about constantly thinking about your hip -- the moment I woke up I was aware of my hip. Now, post-surgery, I'm aware of my back instead!
 
@CricketHip At least your surgeon will be well rested and refreshed! I did a countdown until my surgery -- every day meant one less day to wait. I even did a countdown of the number of times I'd need to push the clutch in on my truck (very painful), and that last push was very liberating. That meant I was there, no more waiting...
 
:dubious:All the best @pamac...I wonder how you are feeling? I have mine tomorrow, just wish it were tomorrow evening right now don't you??
 
Well @CricketHip as I've said before (maybe to you... can't remember; I "talk" a lot :heehee:) now is the time to start a ledger. Every day put on the "bad" side anything your hip may have prevented you from doing or made the doing of uncomfortable/unpleasant/more difficult/painful, on the "good" side things it didn't affect. Of course some things will be constants on both sides, but some things will go from one to the other depending on if you're having a "good day". Don't look at previous entries until the end of the week or some designated point in time, then check it out... I think you will see the balance is firmly tipped to the "bad".... we just discount it after we've gone through it.

This is a really handy reference tool for Post op also, when you will have less than stellar days! You can refer to the ledger when you're having a "why did I have this surgery when it wasn't THAT bad" kinda day, which will show you instantly WHY you had the surgery, it helps put it all in perspective :snork: Follow the same process with post op "bad days" you see the ledger tipping to the good MUCH faster, and of course the "good" list is far longer to start with

Pre op is the WORST time of the whole process; you're dealing with anxiety and uncertainty while in difficult-to-control pain, with limited mobility and trying to run your "real life" concurrently. Post op we give ourselves permission to NOT try and do it all - allowing ourselves time to heal, with manageable pain, believe me it's MUCH easier:yes:

Only a few really difficult weeks left for you, the last week or so goes quickly with all the "last minute" things to be done filling your time and distracting your brain! It sounds like a long time, but physically mark the days off a calendar (starting today) and then you can see when you've "broken the back" of the waiting time and it is less daunting.

These suggestions are only little tools, but they really did help me, so on a reward for effort basis I think they're worthwhile. As is coming to BoneSmart and "sharing"... if I'd vocalized to my family as much as I did here, they'd be me my ex family!! They love me but couldn't relate to my experience, on any level... how could they? so BS, with all the been-there-done-that folks here were a sanity saviour :eyebrows: Family saver too - they really had had enough of me by surgery time:rotfl:

Donna:flwrysmile:
 
@lexi-mai I have to be up in 3 1/2 hours and I am wide awake. It must be tomorrow already for you! I"m thinking about you and hope all is well!
 
@craftdee
What a lovely post! You make it all sound so poetic and well. lovely. :)

I started my journal a few days ago and it was a good time to start it. Not the greatest of weeks.
For my work I tend to favor my sound leg and I think the twisting is getting to me. My entire left upper torso is in pain. It's like I am having muscle spasms in the intercostal muscles of the ribs and it's a real son of a gun.
You better believe me when I say that this is going into the journal! I am so tired of compensating for the left hip.
If this keeps up I will miss quite a bit of work before I ever get to surgery.
So discouraging.
But! It's been a very pretty summer day, I had a day of rest and spent a good bit of it on my covered porch with multiple ice packs. My husband and I adopted a shelter dog in February and he is the sweetest dog ever. He is super good company and is happy to have me home. (yellow lab, around 4 years old, very well behaved and he smiles all of the time)
I was able to get a good therapeutic massage at noon, good timing on this one! Now trying to be patient and not get too, well, impatient. :shrug:
 
@AndyH99
I was re reading the replies on here and realized I didn't reply to yours! And it was so similar to mine with the timing of things. I found out in March, dragged my heels until May, then have played the waiting game ever since. It was a two month wait just to get in to see the surgeons that I wanted to see and interview. I read all of the hippies' posts on the other side and chafe at the thought of how I could be healing right along with you all.
I am down to a little over 5 weeks and am surprised at how quickly the past 5 weeks have gone.
Maybe I should tear apart our bathroom Is that what you are suggesting?? :eyebrows:
 
LOL - well if you try it and it works not only does your op date get brought forward 3 days after they start you also get to experience the Victorian tin bath strip wash and learn exciting new uses for old milk bottles, not to mention getting on first name terms with your local sports centre and McD's for those "special" moments

Let me know if it works, we may have to write a new bonesmart guide to bathroom-less living if it does!

Have fun


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I thought my day would never arrive and here I am at 1 week post op. Hang in there @CricketHip this last month will fly by and then it will be you on the other side!
 
@CricketHip I am having my surgery 6 weeks on Monday and I am finding that the closer it gets the faster the time goes.We are having a visit today from my daughter SIL and 2 little grandsons aged 2 years and 9 months and 6 months so I know that the next few days will fly by.We will be traveling to see them in Cheshire in 2 weeks and then we are off on a cruise at the end of August.I am having my Preop on Tuesday so I will be glad when that is out of the way I think the trick is to keep as busy as possible in these last few weeks.I still need to make some more meals to freeze for after surgery.
 
@Kim22 - I think you are absolutely right! I have noticed this the past week.. that time is whizzing by, now.
I actually thought about what I would do if they offered me an earlier time and I think I would be ok to say no and just wait until the 21st. Ok, maybe not. but I am trying to tempt fate with that comment. :heehee:

@AndyH99 my gosh, did you ever think that you would be getting a bilateral procedure done with no bathrooms??
So, that's what it takes to go in early??? Hand me a crowbar, it's time to demolish my bathroom! hahahahah

@pamac it's true and I remember the days before your surgery date and marvel at your progress already! Aren't you just so glad the surgery part is over??!!?
Thank you all for the pep talk.. I have decided to stop and smell the roses and all of the other wonderful scents of summer and enjoy my pre surgical time. The weather has been spectacular the past few days, in fact the entire summer has been lovely and I need to savor it with a few trips to the shore. :swim:
 
Oh dear, you said it out loud, the scheduling gremlins will hear you - lol

As for a bilateral without a bathroom, we said the fateful words "what else can go wrong". One day I'll learn to keep my mouth shut!

I think you have the right idea, chill, relax and enjoy the summer as much as you can, then you can enjoy the autumn colours and storms from the comfort of your chair whilst you recover. Not to mention the Rugby World Cup

Have a great day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Another Con to place on that side of the list. This was a new one for me. As we all are too familiar with the limited ROM, I figure you all can relate.
I was raised on a farm. I don't recall learning to ride a horse or to drive. Seems like I've always done both. So I am rather smug at how well I can parallel park, even in the tightest of spots.
I ran an errand and found a huge opening and pull my car up to ready myself for the parking and to my huge dismay I can't rotate around to look over my right shoulder! My left hip won't let me and it hurts to force it.
Add to the embarrassment (in my mind) there was a man sitting in the car in front of this huge space.
I still tried to back in but was so rattled that I gave up and drove onto a better parking area.
I wanted to roll down my window and tell this guy that I am a good parker!! lol
Well, I did laugh about it, and figured someday soon I will be back to parking wherever I darn well please!
but what a nasty surprise..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom