The Highs and Lows of the Pre Op Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all ,I just found out about the hip deterioration for a f/u appt after my total knee replacement.My husband had also had a heart attack and triple by-pass so we really had a challenging time so I could hardly believe the "end stage" hip degeneration.I too feel really tired.I started working again 2 weeks ago and am studying for an International Board exam.My daughter,her fiancé and 6 month old live with us .I have been the secretary for the Optimist Club I am part of but it's all too much at the moment. This week I got clothes together from my house and another Optimist member and delivered it to the hospital for a stranded couple plus worked an extra 1/2 day.We went to dinner after work and are going to parents tonight to.My husband is cooking the meat before we leave so I just get to enjoy.I just feel like it's all so hectic.I am trying to rest today.I try to make Sunday my pain vacation day,by resting a little extra and staying on top of pain meds as I actually find myself getting depressed if I don't give myself a break.Its already been 1 year of constant pain and I can't do anything about the hip until next May 18 th at the earliest because I used my FMLA on my knee and husband triple by-pass


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CricketHip You know what, I hadn't even considered that challenge, one more for me to prepare for when I eventually get back into a car. It's going to be interesting!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
hey @AndyH99 , maybe you will have improved ROM since you have those shiny new hips?
I'm thinking that you very well might!
 
Doing ok here, @Cynthia777.
The usual highs and lows of waiting.
It's been a super nice summer, weather wise, and I've been successful in accepting what I can't do and enjoying what I can.
:ice:
 
@pamac
Ohhh! This is true! And just look at you and how far you've come! :thumb:
 
It's hard to believe it's been over 2 weeks since my surgery. Time will start to stand still and fly for you at the same time leading up to your day.
 
@CricketHips...I like your name, funny. Ya gotta laugh sometimes. I am having a RTHR September 1st in Washington DC. I turned 60 in August and need my first joint replacement less than a month later---- Oh, well, am looking forward to being "refurbished." Like an old car, occasionally you've got to replace parts I guess. Keep up the great attitude !!!
 
Hello @JanB !
Your surgery is right around the corner. Lucky you!
Glad you like the name, and yes, laughing about it helps, right?
You will be so glad to have found this forum- it's helped me so much. :reading:
 
@CricketHip---thanks for your reply and yes, the forum is already helping.... it is so nice to connect with people in the same situation. It doesn't feel so lonely.
 
Hi @Cynthia777 !
well, it varies from minute to minute! I am a little shocked at how quickly the last 2 weeks have gone. My hip isn't any worse, it also isn't any better and my body hurts in various places from the compensatory ways that I do things to avoid putting pressure on "old lefty"
How did your PT go yesterday?
My Root Canal is Monday.. Pre Admission testing is Thursday. aiyeeeeeeee!
I found a wonderful thread by dk0530 and read through all of her updates and I must say that it really was encouraging. You might enjoy it too, if you haven't already read it. :flwrysmile:
 
Pre op is the WORST time of the whole process; you're dealing with anxiety and uncertainty while in difficult-to-control pain, with limited mobility and trying to run your "real life" concurrently. Post op we give ourselves permission to NOT try and do it all - allowing ourselves time to heal, with manageable pain, believe me it's MUCH easier:yes:

@craftdee ----I was just reading your previous post and how true this rings !! I am having a THR in 2 days, the pain is unbearable. I am in that "no Mobic or NSAIDS" time frame prior to surgery. I am exhausted from the pain and not getting much done. Having nightmares about not making it to the hospital on time, getting the date wrong, drinking fluids the day of surgery then having it cancelled, etc. This is all new to me. I have never been in a hospital as a patient except for when I gave birth. Nobody seems to understand how draining all the pain is and why I don't want to do much. 2 more days. Thanks for your suggestions, I hate to complain to family or friends but I believe this is a very understanding forum.

Donna:flwrysmile:[/QUOTE]
 
@JanB
Funny you mention the nightmares! Last night I dreamt I was in the hospital and completely prepped for surgery, when suddenly the staff and I realized I was at the wrong hospital! My surgery was scheduled in 20 minutes and I had to jump in a taxi and try to find and get to the right hospital in time or my THR! Weird!
Thanks for putting everything in perspective and well wishes for your surgery in two days!
 
@JanB
Funny you mention the nightmares! Last night I dreamt I was in the hospital and completely prepped for surgery, when suddenly the staff and I realized I was at the wrong hospital! My surgery was scheduled in 20 minutes and I had to jump in a taxi and try to find and get to the right hospital in time or my THR! Weird!
Thanks for putting everything in perspective and well wishes for your surgery in two days!


@Cynthia777 -- thanks for the well-wishes, that is so funny about the dreams. Glad to know I am not alone !
I think there is part of me that is panicked and another part that is empowered knowing I will do something to get beyond the pain and start to get my life back..... Anyway, thanks again for your well-wishes
hugs to you
 
It will be here before you know it although the last month kinda goes in waves of flying by and moving slow. I wish you the best and for a smooth recovery.

:spin:Jojo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom