THR The fun part

Good Job, Bone-obo...Dont pay thay crazy SaraK any mind. Very bad influence that one:skep:
Coolest bike ever...I want one of those. I might not be able to fall off of that one.:bicycle2:
 
Well, yarghh: I think I've made a tendon sad. In my non-op leg, no less. It's the one that attaches behind the knee - it gets grumpy when I walk too much, so I guess I'll back down on my mileage for a bit. S'pose I'll hit up the gym tonight to find something I can do that doesn't tug Mr. Pissy Tendon.

Anybody else find if they take Tylenol as directed (even just once a day), they start to get rebound headaches when it wears off? Annoying!

I've noticed that sometimes I have minor minor minor background discomfort that gets lost in the hubbub during the day, but can contribute to Princess/Pea syndrome at night when there're no other distractions. It's not even pain - it's ... gray noise. This gray, busy feel, like a tiny little construction project in my leg. Teensy little tissue trucks and bone dozers, rumbling away, doing Good Things, but in the process keeping me awake! Tylenol works pretty good to deaden the din, but then there's that rebound headache to deal with in the morning. Ah well, better to sleep, I guess.

Also, I still have this soreness side middle of the op leg, in or about the vestus lateralis (ish). Again, not pain most of the time, just something that fires up when I tighten my quads or stand after relaxing. Could be overuse, but it just doesn't feel like regular old exercise related soreness. Maybe it's a side effect of the construction project. ("This muscle group closed for renovation.") So I guess it'll be my faithful little recovery buddy for a while, as the other aches and pains come and go like fickle Facebook friends. Accordingly, I shall dub it "Reginald." When Reginald is finally gone, I shall consider myself truly recovered. Or something.

Note that all of this is just background noise - my life is almost back to a semblance of normal.
 
I think they really move those quads out of the way...my quads stayed super sore for months...and yes, things irritating ...coming back or around or...:shrug:
Anyway...I believe it is the healing process.
Cool out when you feel you need to...but I think you are doing well!

It's been 2 1/2 months and you've done splendidly!:tada:
 
Last edited:
I saw a video today that made me think of you. It was called a "rowcycle". It looks like a cross between a recumbent trike and a rowing machine and you move it by rowing instead of pedalling.
 
Very cool! Look like it'd be exhausting for distance, and I can't imagine how you'd row that thing up a hill, though - but I always thought that about Eliptigos, and there are people that ride those contraptions on centuries. So I suppose it's all good!

Restrictions get dropped tomorrow. Recumbent trike, here I come ... maybe .... The hardest part's gonna be getting my bike shoes on.
 
Hi @Bone-obo
Yay for losing restrictions. Oh happy day!

I like the construction project analogy. Tissue trucks and bone dozers.
It's miraculous when you think of how our body repairs itself. Then we get anxious and think we're going to help it along, when really we just need to let it do its thing.

What kind of shoes do you wear with this bike? If they're lace up....can you replace tie laces with those stretchy ones and use one of those long shoe horns?

I hope you have a great week!
 
Not lace up - more like this:

[Bonesmart.org] The fun part


Nice thing is I just have to be able to get in the general vicinity of my foot to get the strap and the velcro in place. Can I do it now? (Cue suspense music...) Find out at 6!
 
Early news: BOOYAH TO YOU, STOOPID RESTRICTIONS! I'M FREE! And there will be some cycling tonight! (For a short time, on the trainer, under very light load....)

The other thing is he showed me the before and after x-rays, and OMG THERE IS NO ILLUSION THE NEW HIP IS LIKE AN INCH LONGER! This based on how long my legs should be, not on the non-op leg, since it's already inside the event horizon of impending awfulness. So I'm clear to add a couple of spacers in my non-op leg (soon to be the New Bad Leg), and see if that helps clear up my tendonitis. (Feels better already just thinking about it.)

Oh man, this is the best!
 
Great news! Now remember, your words, "For a short time, on the trainer, under very light load."
I heard the ODIC is full. They don't want you. Stay away.
Have a meeting with this dude afterward > :ice: can't hurt, right?
Enjoy!
@Bone-obo
 
Early news: BOOYAH TO YOU, STOOPID RESTRICTIONS! I'M FREE! And there will be some cycling tonight! (For a short time, on the trainer, under very light load....)

The other thing is he showed me the before and after x-rays, and OMG THERE IS NO ILLUSION THE NEW HIP IS LIKE AN INCH LONGER! This based on how long my legs should be, not on the non-op leg, since it's already inside the event horizon of impending awfulness. So I'm clear to add a couple of spacers in my non-op leg (soon to be the New Bad Leg), and see if that helps clear up my tendonitis. (Feels better already just thinking about it.)

Oh man, this is the best!
Yay!! Congratulations!! It must feel so good! And to get confirmation of the leg length issue....that is great! Hope you enjoyed your ride! :happydance:
 
I heard the ODIC is full. They don't want you. Stay away.
They'll have to chase me down if they want me - I only did 10 minutes at light tension.

Hope you enjoyed your ride! :happydance:
Very much! Although it was ... strange. The new hip already has so much ROM that it was like pedaling on ice. Everything feels simultaneously familiar and brand new - my knee was wobbling all over the place because it could. Lots of relearning gonna have to take place before I take my 3-wheeled darlin' on the road.

And I do love a project!
 
[Bonesmart.org] The fun part


Congrats! There IS life after joint replacement! You are blazing a trail for others to follow!

Was thinking about you as I stretched today...do you do the Thomas Stretch? It helps everything for me..hip, knee, back... and it is soooo simple! Without using the bands! I call it the leg dangle because that is basically what I do! :loll:
 
Tell me more about the cycle? What happens when you crash? Are you in extreme pain?
An excuse to talk about my trike? I'LL TAKE IT! (In my thread - seemed rude to crash yours!)

It's a low-slung, laid-back version of a recumbent trike - built for speed and distance. Great fun to ride, although a tad slower than uprights by a 1-2 mph. Crashing is infrequent, since balance is taken out of the equation - although I did roll it last year when the steering jammed on approach to a bridge crossing, and lost some skin for my troubles. Has a ton of gears to handle inclines - I've done mountain tours alongside regular bikes. And MUCH more adaptive to one's physical peccadilloes, which is why I switched to a trike when the old OA really started to bite. It took a year to sort out the fit, but when I stopped riding just before surgery, I could handle 30 miles without discomfort. Last year, when I was in better shape, I did 3 consecutive 80 mile days, all in complete comfort, OA be danged.

At the moment, though, I'm in rehab mode - 10-20 minutes a day on the trainer, at minimum tension. Maybe I'll see if I can manage a slow 5 miler next week!
 
you are always welcome to crash my thread, I wanted to "come over" and see what's going on with you anyway :D

ok, I see! Sounds amazing, never tried those before. Generally my relationship to cycling is complicated, as I never learned how to ride a bike (dad taught sister then forgot about me). haha

I started working our rowing machine, 5 min every day. It seems like a stationary bike would have been helpful too, but I really hate going to the gym, so the rowing needs to do it.

I am excited for you to get back to going for longer distances.

and lost some skin for my troubles.
It seems you have always been a member of the ODIC! well, it seems we are all in good company here!

Cheers!
 
I see why people stop posting after a while - progress slows down to the point that you feel like you're watching pain dry. (An actual mis-type! Go, subconscious, go!) I'm at the aches and pains stage - nothing really debilitating, just annoying. Improvement is now measured week to week rather than day to day, and is incremental rather than momentous - I can handle a more physically challenging day, but I still need a day afterwards when I can chill. I can put on my own socks (on the op leg), but it's way no fun. It's easier to pick things up off the floor, but only a little. I can spend an hour on the bike trainer. And so on. Boring. Nothing like the glory days of learning to use a cane, or giving up pain meds, or that first poo. Ah, memories.

The biggest problem left is the pain behind my non-op knee, which has persisted for two weeks now, and keeps me from walking as much as I'd like. Dunno if it's referred pain from my remaining arthritic hip or a sore tendon that I can't quite get to heal, but it's harshing my mellow something fierce. Grrrrr!

Happy healing to all the newbies!!!
 
Thanks for the update, @Bone-obo I am also not posting nearly as much as I was. I was just trying to put my own socks on, but, couldn't do it...had to have Pup Prince #2 come and put the op leg sock on. Oh well. Good to know that will come with time though. Sorry to hear your knee is bothering you. Hope that it won't be long before it feels better. :)
 
The behind knee pain. It could be a Baker's Cyst that's just an indication that there's inflammation or strain in that knee. They tend to come and go. DISCLAIMER I only know what I know about my own body:loll:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom