THR The fun part

Now I know where my sense of humor is - the 2 of you stole it! I assume from listening to my kids that I am not funny when I speak - unless I'm not trying to be funny - and am so not with it enough to understand what is funny (what the heck is a meme anyway - seems to be whatever they decide is funny). I didn't realize how much work I was doing on a cattle farm either - I have one of those rocker boards and use it most days.

Those jealous 2nd hips are dangerous. I didn't even know my 2nd needed to be replaced until after the first was done. The right hip then told me in no uncertain terms that I couldn't go out and dance myself into oblivion unless I got it fixed as well. It was going to hold me hostage and not let me live my life until I went full bionic on it as well! So it got replaced 7-1/2 months after the first (I might have waited a tad longer but it was my BOGO hip since I got it done in the same calendar year and had hit my out of pocket max with the first.
@1stSurgery - the shots don't always work. I did one with the first hip but it only lasted for 2 months. The OS said it couldn't be done more often than every 3 months and that it wasn't unusual for it to not work as well and to work for a shorter period of time with each successive shot. I considered putting the first surgery off but my primary doctor told me it wasn't worth deciding which days/months were worth living and which I was merely going to exist. Also - make sure you know before you do an injection what your OS's policy is on time between shot and surgery. Mine required at least 3 months in between.
 
@SaraK Ahhh, that makes a big difference, the 3 mo wait time between shots and scalpel. I'm busy talking myself into a late August early September surgery now, (although my arguments don't always solidly convince me... ) So a shot would not likely be the way to go. It is kind of just buying time I guess, and although I'm usually good at procrastination ... Half of me thinks this is not the case for it. That would be the RIGHT half!

Could never go 7 1/2 months though! My second hip is already in a jealous rage, she's not just being coy. She's on the Fatal Attraction level of envy against the left's priority status --and I fear if I don't tend to her soon I may end up with the equivalent of a boiled bunny -- keeping in the farm animal theme!!

@Bone-obo I think you clearly earn the Forum Court Jester award here for most laughs, but I'm glad I could provide you a giggle! Are you sleeping on your operated side? I'm wanting to try it but was hoping to hear what timeframe is usual for it. I had some small success at the track yesterday, walking 3 laps in good form, carrying the cane as a fashion accessory! Of course at 3, the wicked right hip kicked me again and I was forced to retire, but it gave me an idea what might occur after she's been done - and there will be no one to kick me during walks.

The last time I went to the track was with a friend at night, and a woman on her phone passed us by, obviously responding to someone asking, "is anybody there at the track?" She loudly replied, "There's a handicapped woman and her aide..." The "aide" was my beautiful Irish friend, in her 40s, who'd worn new white tennis shoes that day, apparently screaming "caregiver" to the rude phone woman. My friend was more insulted than me, at being mistaken for my nurse! :heehee: But it's given us a new ongoing joke where I thank her daily for donating her time volunteering to help the handicapped.
 
Those jealous 2nd hips are dangerous.
Boy howdy! For one thing they don't like that they've been demoted to Bad Hip, and then they're urinated off because they used to have the cool longer leg, and now they're l'il stubby leg. Mine's gettin' pretty feisty - all the ice now goes to New Bad Hip.

the shots don't always work. I did one with the first hip but it only lasted for 2 months
I guess that's true, but hard to sneer at 2 months. My own experience was that it lasted longest first time, and then started to fade progressively earlier, probably in line with the deterioration of my boney bits. While it was working, though, it was bliss!

She's on the Fatal Attraction level of envy against the left's priority status --and I fear if I don't tend to her soon I may end up with the equivalent of a boiled bunny -- keeping in the farm animal theme!!
I suppose you could try to drown it. Oh, wait....

Are you sleeping on your operated side?
Yep, pretty regularly. I started messing with it around the 4th week, but didn't really start getting comfortable until the 6th week. Sleeping on the incision was part of it, but a great part was finding a comfortable position that didn't feel like I was about to disassemble my high-tech erector set.

The "aide" was my beautiful Irish friend, in her 40s,
Well, there's the problem: you need older, less attractive friends! Can you make your Irish friend dowdier? Old clothes? No makeup? Floppy hat? Combat boots?

Yes, @1stSurgery: I get more than a giggle from your writing! Good stuff!
 
@Bone-obo Ha! No, even with hat and combat boots ...I don't think I can make her dowdy. She's pretty stunning. even in nursey shoes. Ok then, that's it - tonight I will try the left-side sleeper position. Because angry bad hip won't even leave me alone at night in bed. She's so pouty. Think I'm on week 7 so it should be fine. I must be on my 38th Netflix docu-series since surgery now, and as soon as I'm done with "Drug Lords" tonight, I will try the flip side. Seems we could measure our recovery in Netflix viewings instead of in weeks.
Hope Bad Hip lets you sleep well tonight!
 
Happily, NBH has never been much of a factor in sleep suppression. Sorry yours is!
 
I like the idea of calf-raises a lot. They don't seem to hurt the affected bits, plus I like that I'm doing something related to animal husbandry. (Raising calves. See what I did there? Too much...?)
:heehee:
Too too much fun going on over here..
Happy two months
:egypdance:
 
I am loving this blog. Have just started my own too and some “hilarious” incidents during the “fun” part. Thanks so much for posting. Really making me laugh. Lying here having sent the physio away temporarily and now waiting for my first poo. “Such fun”
 
More knee fun, with the ITB on the op leg side. One of the causes is exercising too hard too soon, something which is totally out of character for me. So if anyone wants me for the next day or two, I shall be at the bar sipping a warm cup of rue.

I swear, while my op leg has crazy ROM compared to what I used to have, what I consider freedom of movement my tendons and soft bits consider anarchy, which is something up with which they will not put!

Just whining. All this is learning curve stuff - the hip joint itself is pretty slick.
 
Actually, I find rue better chilled! :heehee:

Sorry you're experiencing issues - the ITB can be nasty - especially since it can hurt all down the leg and make sleeping on that side painful (voice of experience). While I'm accused of overdoing it from time to time (tongue so firmly planted in cheek it risks poking through), I tried to do so intelligently. When I added activities, I'd only add or increase the intensity or distance on one or two exercises or activities (that would cause pain in different places if they were too much) at a time and guage whether they were problematic. If so, they'd be put back on the shelf for awhile. My PT was ok with me being sore that day and next as long as not in pain and soreness went away in 48 hours (yes, he knew I would overdo it and tried to give me guidelines and limits on overdoing it - if such a thing exists). He has accused me of not having an internal braking system. Imagine that - ME?!?! I'd be very interested to hear his description of me to my new PT (they're in the same Healthcare system but my old doesn't do manual adjustments which the new doc wants).

Hope the ITB improves soon! Let me know if you want some company as you sit and sip!
 
@Bone-obo - As self appointed President and Chairman of the Board (it's a very small board) of the Overly Cautious Club, the OCC, I hereby fully endorse your wasting away at the sipping bar plan for you! Everytime I read about someone here doing some miraculous feat that makes me blink when I see their surgery date... Seems you come back a few days later to find they're regretting it and back in bed on ice! Burning their ODIC card.

Yep these joints are truly tricky to decipher and be patient with. And who knew... they all seem to be connected in some vast conspiracy! You really should think about joining the OCC. We are few - but we ache less and see more movies. I do hope your tendons and bits start cooperating with each other and quieting down very soon. Maybe if you steamed that rue and inhaled it? Seriously though, I had that behind the knee not sure what it is pain, and (over cautiously) stopped exercises and walked less for just 2 days ..and it subsided. Tender lump is gone... wishing the same disappearing pain for you. You take care now!! :friends:
 
Ahhhhh... we all have GREAT Expectations of our bionic parts, don't we? If only the rest of our parts and supporting cast of soft tissue would cooperate! With 3 new joints, I thought my body would age backward by at least 5 yrs per joint....:loll: Need I even complete that thought? :sorry:
 
My PT was ok with me being sore that day and next as long as not in pain and soreness went away in 48 hours
Wise PT! The hard part is knowing how much soreness you're incurring at the time you're incurring it! I try to ramp up my exercise carefully - but sometimes the music and the miles, they call me. And I always answer, dang it.

You really should think about joining the OCC. We are few - but we ache less and see more movies.
Hmm. I do like movies....

On the plus side, the ITB thing is already subsiding. This wasn't a full-fledged Wrath of ITB thing, rather more of a hissy fit. I think I'll be back on the trainer by Friday, cranking out some gentle turns for 20 minutes or so to make sure all is well. The back of the knee thing is slowly getting better, but that's looking like another week or two at least. No biggie. I'd rather ride than walk anyway!

Onward, my friends! Ad astra!
 
@Bone-obo - As self appointed President and Chairman of the Board (it's a very small board) of the Overly Cautious Club, the OCC, I hereby fully endorse your wasting away at the sipping bar plan for you! Everytime I read about someone here doing some miraculous feat that makes me blink when I see their surgery date... Seems you come back a few days later to find they're regretting it and back in bed on ice! Burning their ODIC card.

Count me in as a member of the OCC for sure! After reading through so many threads on this site, I decided to embrace the rest cure with all my might. Walking has been my exercise, along with the gentle foot pumping, etc. I may see PT after month 2. Maybe.
 
Interesting. Just a weeks anniversary of my op and PT wanted me to try bridging. The picture shown was of someone with a huge gap between bed and back. I took one look at that and said no. Other exercises are fine but thanks to the discussions on here I am being very cautious of whAt I should and should not do.
Love all the sense of humour here and irony at its very best. You guys are great..
 
Hi,
I'm happy to read you declined doing Bridges.
Just yesterday, Moderator, Jaycey, mentioned Bridging is a core stability exercise. She shared that she has spine issues and has been doing Bridges for years. She further mentioned Bridges put a great amount of pressure on the hip joint. With a reminder that the soft tissue and muscle in the area has just been traumatized by THR surgery.
Wise choice to avoid them, @SurreyGirl

Sorry for the derail @Bone-obo but this information is good for all to read.
And you're beloved here so hopefully many will read it.
 
Last edited:
I'm still managing, but I'm not ready for my close-up. Can PP#2 bop by to help a friendly old gentleman with his socks, too? And then me?
Sure! It's only, what, a couple of days drive from here to there? (Since I'd want him to be safe and stop overnight, maybe in Maryland before continuing on.) :snork:
 
I don't get a chance to come to read this thread super often, but when I do, I thoroughly enjoy it! So much fun!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom