THR The fun part

Sorry about the tendon pain @Bone-obo!

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, medical professional, pharmaceutical rep or a veterinarian!

However.... I have had tendon issues in the past too, as an avid hiker in the California mountains. And a hiking friend once gave me this supplement, it's plant based enzymes and antioxidants, been around 40+ yrs, used by millions-- but I'd never heard of it! Made in Germany and caveat, it's NOT cheap. Think a bottle is $40. Whole foods and others carry it, called "Wobenzym N" and it always helped me when something would act up in the joint / tendon realm. Anything except the severe OA in the hips that is.

I'm having a little of that tender behind knee thing as well and noticed since I stopped walking just before surgery (due to Ow!) my calf muscles really shrunk dramatically. The PT exercises built back the quads, hams and glutes OK - but the calves were still trailing behind. I'm wondering if maybe the behind knee tendon might be a recruitment going on to compensate for that? Anyways wishing you some quick relief from that and other annoying pains and twinges. Remember... 2 biggest bones in your body went under major construction. You wouldn't move into a house built in a few weeks. Stay patient and resist the ODIC!!
 
:wave:my witty bored cabin fevered friend!
Only two months post op and already stir crazy! I DO get it.
This patience thing has a huge payoff so it is definitely not all for naught.
Your shared experiences and willingness to extend some comfort and advice to newbies on the sore does not go unnoticed!
Hope the knee issue eases soon.
Sending good mojo your way!
:friends:
 
I was just trying to put my own socks on, but, couldn't do it...had to have Pup Prince #2 come and put the op leg sock on.
I'm still managing, but I'm not ready for my close-up. Can PP#2 bop by to help a friendly old gentleman with his socks, too? And then me?

It could be a Baker's Cyst that's just an indication that there's inflammation or strain in that knee.
Hmmm. Maybe. There's no swelling behind the knee, and my mobility is pretty good, though - I can ride my bike trainer with no discomfort. Dunno, though - I'll watch out for this.

It will all get better...patience, my friend, PATIENCE!
That's exactly what I need! I want patience so bad that I can't WAIT to get some patience!

The PT exercises built back the quads, hams and glutes OK - but the calves were still trailing behind. I'm wondering if maybe the behind knee tendon might be a recruitment going on to compensate for that?
Ah, yes, I believe you've hit on something. When this first popped up, I was cranking up some hills at a pretty good clip (for a walk), and my calves were definitely feeling the burn. Good call. Any suggestions? Calf work at the gym, maybe, since walking any distance irritates it?

Only two months post op and already stir crazy! I DO get it.
"Only"! It feels like a lifetime ago! And to be fair, I'm really doing very well, and I know it. I'm at or slightly below my activity level before surgery, I have better posture (friends have commented on it - I used to have a slight limp, now gone), and decent endurance. I've still got things I want to do - hiking, long biking trips, gym stuff, canoeing, roller blading, and things that make my wife blanche with horror (I don't think she'll ever let me sky dive) - in addition to things like pick up a piece of paper without something to hold onto, and it's a little frustrating not to do them now. But hey, a little frustration is a powerful motivator in life. Otherwise we'd stop after level 6 of Candy Crush.
 
If your wife suggests a skydiving trip, you might want to question her motives! Patience is the hard part. I've been told a time or two thousand that I'm short on that commodity myself so I don't have any I can send your way. Your mobility and capability will continue to increase (and your aches and pains might too if you don't find some of that patience)!
 
Your mobility and capability will continue to increase (and your aches and pains might too if you don't find some of that patience)!
Thanks! I really am trying to Be Good, although it doesn't come naturally. I got a cortisone shot today in the New Bad Hip (the Old Bad Hip: now under renovation), and it takes a week or so to kick in - with any luck and effective pharmacology, I'll be back to walking by the weekend. That should keep me satisfied for a few days!
 
Hi @Bone-obo
At a quick glance it looks like you're having a knee issue. I'm sorry. I hope it's not too painful.
I need to catch up on your thread over my morning java. I'm so tired right now I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open. Off too bed I go. I'm sure I'll enjoy some laughs when I catch up here in the a.m.
Feel better!
 
I'm so tired right now I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open.
Okay, that's news. From how inhumanly diligent you and Mojo are about reading and commenting on all our various brain droppings, I was seriously thinking you guys were Google AI's. Yes! Please sleep!

As for the issue, at least it's not in the joint parts per se. I've had those from overdoing it at the beginning of a season (hard to believe, I know). NOT fun, and takes weeks to get over. Nah, this is in the soft bits - if it's the tendon, though, again, weeks to heal. Thankfully, I am Mr. Patience personified.

:loll::rotfl::rofsign:
 
Remember... 2 biggest bones in your body went under major construction. You wouldn't move into a house built in a few weeks. Stay patient and resist the ODIC!!

Love that above from 1stSurgery.

Your brain droppings are a joy to read @Bone-obo I've had several laughs this morning in catching up.

I hope the tendon issue heals soon. Unbelievable that you're coming up on two months in just a few days.
A great rest of the week to you!
 
Remember... 2 biggest bones in your body went under major construction. You wouldn't move into a house built in a few weeks.
I just kinda thought I'd slap a tarp over the frame and call it a day... no?

To continue the construction metaphor, this is like a house that's been framed and has siding, and you drive by day-to-day, and you can't see any workers, and no signs of anything being done. Occasionally you can hear drilling and sawing coming from inside the house, but you don't see any workers and when you walk thru after hours there's not much apparent progress, and there's old candy wrappers everywhere.

So what I'm saying is, my hip is full of candy wrappers.

Maybe I could have handled the metaphor better....
 
You're a hoot! :rotfl:
I'll bet you make many a member laugh through their Recovery.
Great medicine!
@Bone-obo
 
WHAT HAPPENED???
Nothing. The left hip was just "better" than the right ere surgical intervention, so it was the Good Hip. But since the Bad Hip of the pre-surgical era is now the New Good Hip, the title of Bad Hip just passed down to the next in the line of succession. By the end of the year, the title will be retired, once and for all. Huzzah!

I notice you were posting here while I was posting on your journal. Uh, Coke jinx...?
 
I notice you were posting here while I was posting on your journal.

Seriously, and now we will be clicking back and forth! Well, it was a birth thing for me too :holysheep:
I'll leave it at that here.

Well, I am hoping all goes well, you have my sympathy and support and I am sure you too will crush it :cheers:
 
Hope you have a great day @Bone-obo
Almost Fri-yay! Love that word Huzzah you used above.
I never use it but it reminds me on the Renaissance Festival.
Minnesota has a great one from about mid August through Sept.
Fall is my fave time of year. So beautiful with all the leaves changing and cooler temps.
I love going once each year and eating a big ol turkey drumstick while sipping on a glass of wine
and laughing at all the crazy characters walking by. Something I always look forward to.
Hope your day is sweet!
Thanks for your enjoyable input on the forum.
 
Oh, girl friend, I love fall, too! Around here it's activity time: we go for long bike rides, do organized bike tours (there's a lovely one in the Shenandoah Valley at the height of the leaf colors), camp, and take advantage of the paucity of vacationeers at the beach. Soooo looking forward to the first cold front to come through and break the heat!

And thank you, my dear, for all your input! Once again, I boggle at your endless care, empathy, and dedication. Just wow.
 
Funny thread! Thanks for the chuckles!
@Bone-obo you don't need to go to the gym for calves! I just do the old fashioned home version, standing on edge of a stair or a ledge (not a precarious kind that requires insurance and makes your wife look guilty should anything go awry...) - then drop the heels down over edge, and bring them up to a toe standing position and...repeat umpteen times. It's a good calf builder, then you can vary foot angles for different parts of the calf.

I have two areas of recurring shooting pains ....the behind the knee thing and both quads have these occasional radiating pains. I may be too enthusiastic on the quad exercises. I am now forced into a major reality clash and fully recognizing I MUST get the evil twin right hip done ASAP. There is no way I can walk well or move forward with that old hip slowing me down daily. I think it took an added beating after left hip replacement, trying to bear all the weight and act as a rudder when log leg was floppy and useless. Plus the length difference had to cause some readjusting and ...she was not up for the task. Very bad pain in that side so it's back to the hospital for me probably soon. Not real excited about it.
 
Why, @1stSurgery, I believe we must be related, separated at birth even! I like the idea of calf-raises a lot. They don't seem to hurt the affected bits, plus I like that I'm doing something related to animal husbandry. (Raising calves. See what I did there? Too much...?)

My OS warned me that the New Good Hip would become my dominant leg, which can't help but affect the New Bad Leg, which is shorter and more limited in ROM, and it's started to express its insecurities in various petty ways. Same story as yours, without, I think, as much pain. I suspect we're not really going to get the benefit out of our New Good Legs until our New Bad Legs become Newer Good Legs.

I assume you've tried cortisone shots? They work great for me!
 
@Bone-obo ....You will however need a fairly good expanse of pasture for raising calves ...but I'm sure it could also help with your calf-enhancing goals, not to mention the ease of securing milk in case you're not driving yet... 4H Club approves this message!

Yes yes and yes, I think we have tricked our poor Bad Legs into taking on far more than they were ever equipped for ...and they are now making their great rebellion known. On top of it all, I'm convinced my Right Hip is not only jealous I picked lefty to go first, but confused - since she was the worst in the X-rays, but the Labral tear made lefty more pained. I have tried to explain that to her but she's not having any of it. She will kick me like a mule (keeping with the animal husbandry theme), until I take her to the spa-cation place with the heated robes and Beni Hana chef, for her replacement /remodel. She wants her day on the table.

My OS did not warn me about that so it was a surprise. And I have not tried the shots, but maybe I will. I react poorly to most meds - don't methylate well, so only take them if urgently needed. Which could be now! Thanks for the suggestion!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom