THR The fun part

Yoohoo Bone-obo...Where are you?
We miss you and your humorous contributions around here, but most importantly would like an update.
It's not like you to go ghost on us. Concerns me. How are you doing these days?

Couldn't help but think of you today after reading a response Josephine posted that mentioned
"It can take up to 4 weeks for activity related pain to abate." She posted it to Yokesgirl. And it seems you're certain your set back was activity related after the busy work schedule you had a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping you'd find this comforting if you're still struggling.

Please know we're here, thinking about you and hoping all is well.
Wishing you a Happy 4th if we don't hear from you before then.
@Bone-obo

Hey,
I think we're going to send out search and rescue soon.
Hoping you're just chillin and not still suffering.

Going to take my granddaughter to Incredible's 2 today.
Hope we like it! I know you and wifey did.
Wishing you a great day and a Happy 4th!
Hope you're feeling like an M 80 rather than a sparkler. Can you tell I'm not into pyro. :rotfl:
I'm sure there's a lot out there that packs a far bigger wallop these days. I'm dating myself :heehee:
@Bone-obo

Last edited:
Thanks one and all for your sweet notes! You guys - seriously, come 'ere, cuz it's time for a big ol' group hug!

it's taken a while to realize that the sudden, um, "discomfort" I've been feeling is almost certainly good ol' muscle soreness, cuz of the suddenness and intensity. I'd worked my legs out at the gym before surgery to try to prevent this, but somehow, adding a few millimeters of leg length to the equation undid all that prep, and I feel like a newbie on a particularly hilly century. Ouchies!

So I've started walking the mall to encourage all the muscle and nerve bits to coordinate, trying to extend the distance a little bit every day, focussing on as good a posture as I can manage, and adjusting each day's distance according to how I feel. (If I go early enough, I'll see my peeps with their walkers, crutches, and canes, unburdened by shopping bags or any interest in window shopping. Go peeps!) The hardest thing is starting from a resting position, so I use the DemonStick to boot me up after sitting or lying down, and then I'm usually good for a mile or so. Up stairs are still challenging - if I were handy, I'd try that solution @Eman85 proposed, about using a 1/2 height step to practice on, but a I'm liberal artist to the bone and there is no trace of "handyman" in my genetic code. Maybe I'll find an old 2x4 to practice with...?

It can take up to 4 weeks for activity related pain to abate.
That seems about right. As always, Josephine knows her stuff!!

I'll try to check in more often!

I know you need to move around...but my honest opinion is you are still trying to force things a bit. Would you do this to a broken leg...make it do what it isn't ready to do?:shrug:
One month...ONE.
They cut off the top of your femur, popped the ball out of the socket, reamed a hole in that femer to insert a stem...and kept all those muscles stretched out of the way with God knows what...
Please don't overdo! I worry so for you.
You are allowed to eat ribs, or burgers, have a beer if that's what you care for, and sit and watch some fireworks tomorrow. Period!:skep:

Thanks for the update, I really do hope all eases soon.:friends:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bone-obo I had some scraps from when my deck was built. A 2x6 works good and it's only 1 1/2" high, I just side stepped on it and straightened my leg. It's been HOT here along with pop up storms. I did some mall walking Sun., my leg was stiff and a good walk loosened it and it felt good. Been pool walking a lot too. tough job going in the pool a few times a day but someone has to do it!

The door to the ODIC swings both ways, so get on out of there :kickedout:
We're waiting outside the door for you, you're missing all the fun :happydance::beer: :egypdance:
Find your way out! :climb:

I know you need to move around...but my honest opinion is you are still trying to force things a bit. Would you do this to a broken leg...make it do what it isn't ready to do?
I have no idea if I'm forcing things or not, @Mojo333 - we know I'm wont to do a tad too much and pay the price. Howsomeever, initially after checking in to the ODIC hotel (now with weekly rates!), I tried minimizing my activities and staying near the couch, and while it helped a bit, I hated it. So I thought I'd try something else. Am I just stirring that spike around in my femur like a cooking spoon? Dunno. Bouncing my Pottery Barn parts around? Maybe. But I keep thinking if it were something like that, wouldn't it hurt if I move my leg while lying down? And why would the pain dissipate and dull after I'd walked 10 or so steps?

Also, I really like doing something, even if it's just walking, plus I'm sleeping much better, and I usually feel slightly better each morning than I did the morning before. Sooooo, we'll see.

The door to the ODIC swings both ways, so get on out of there
Now I'm wondering if this is ODIC stuff or not. That comment from Josephine about activity-related pain really rings a bell....

Been pool walking a lot too.
Brilliant! I hadn't thought of that - I'll have to check that out!

@Bone-obo
Can I tag Josephine for you? Or do you just want to wait it out?
She is great at diagnosing once you pinpoint the pain on her graph and answer a series of questions.
Think about it...

I have plenty of other pains and stiffness around my body and now I have new stiffness in the op leg. When I get up it's still the first step or 2 the op leg reminds me it's been worked on. I can forget after a period of time but sit for a while and it reminds me. The pool walking is great especially as hot as it's been. This deal has slowed me down a lot, but I still have to keep going. I'm lucky I don't have to tear myself up by going to work and can do things at my own pace. I was on a time limit when I had to go to work the next day. Now I'm on the if I don't get it today I'll get it tomorrow schedule which helps foster the sittings and break time.

Can I tag Josephine for you? Or do you just want to wait it out?
I just got back from the mall, and it was glorious! Best I've felt in almost 2 weeks! If I didn't have to go socialize with friends tonight, I'd have pushed it a bit further - so no need to contact the sage Ms. J for medical purposes. Thank you so much for offering, though! I'm not trying to Man-up or anything (I'm actually more than a bit of a wimp), but this seems to be resolving nicely on its own.

When I get up it's still the first step or 2 the op leg reminds me it's been worked on. I can forget after a period of time but sit for a while and it reminds me.
Yep. I resemble all that. it's getting slightly better - it used to be the first 10 steps, and now it's first 3. When we go out to restaurants, we get up and stand at the table pretending to discuss the tip while I use the table to help work out the stiffness before I go. Old age improv theater.

All mentioned only out of true concern, I do hope you know.
You'll figure out where the line is.
Have a,great fourth.

Haha! I know that act well @Bone-obo
I used to stand at the table in the restaurant and pretend to look for my keys in my purse....until I felt I could limp away. Felt like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz when he was trying to squeak out O-i-l - C-a-n
@Bone-obo

All mentioned only out of true concern, I do hope you know.
I do know - and you are welcome to urge me to slow down anytime you feel necessary! I know I can be over-enthusiastic and incautious, and I value your concern and take it seriously, always. Thank you - I value someone challenging my position on things and urging caution. I need it!

You do know that you have to overdo to know how far it is to do. It's like the volume control, you have to turn it up a little furthur then turn it back, but you have to know just how far.

Cranked the volume up a bit on Wednesday (1.5 miles, including some "wild" mileage around the neighborhood),
and paid a tiny bit for it, so I took a chill day yesterday. Today imma gonna do some modest malling and then hit the gym - nothing crazy. Just take a few machines for a test run. I want to be ready to try out the trike when my restrictions are lifted in 10 days! (Not that I'm counting.)

Idle note: neighborhood mileage is harder than the mall - hills, curbs, uneven sidewalks - so less is more.

I don't know if it's the walking I've added, but I find that more and more I forget about having surgery. For weeks each time I've gotten up, my thought process has been focussed on how I'm walking (consciously tweaking my stride for pain, posture, and gait), and suddenly I find I'm just ... where I want to go, without noticing the walk at all. The op leg still feels longer a good bit of the time, but less long, and less often.

My leg feels better all the time, although it's still got this Jekyll/Hyde thing going on: Jekyll walks upright and dignified in the light, but Hyde hunches over and needs the cane at night. The progress is in the right direction: a little less Hyde all the time.

Rambled 2 miles round trip to the moves this afternoon. Had to. With the lowered temperatures, it was a moral imperative to get outside and do something. ("Won't You Be My Neighbor" this afternoon and "Ant-man and The Wasp" this evening - we have broad tastes.) A bit tired at the end, but well worth it!

6 week hipaversary coming up on Tuesday. I'd love to do something spectacular, but nothing comes to mind. All the really cool stuff depends on getting out from under these fershluggener restrictions.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom