The countdown begins....

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dandy_candi, the time is drawing near and now you have a few extra quid to spend while recovering -how fun! I got one of those shower thingys too, a stool, walker and made four huge ice packs. I've been practicing using all these things beforehand so I'll be a pro at it post THR.
 
What date is your THR @Horseshoe ??


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I got a full disabled parking permit in the mail today!
Yay! It's only a short term one but better than nothing! And it starts now so I can use it pre-op! It goes until the end of November and my second op is the 13th of July so that's 4 months after my second surgery.


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I got a full disabled parking permit in the mail today!
Lucky you! They refuse to do this in the UK. I remember crying buckets when I was told since my disability was temporary I could not have a permit. For some this is really needed pre-op!
 
I don't think my doctor put the date of the surgery on my application- he might have. I had a different permit before- I couldn't park in the designated parking bays but I could have double time In normal parking bays and didn't have to pay any extra. It allows more time for walking back to the car.
With this one I can use designated bays and also get double time in normal bays and sometimes I might not have to pay for parking. But I won't necessarily always use it- there are only a few bays in my local supermarket car park and if there are other free bays I will use those. And if I am only doing a short shop and feel okay I might not use it. Because I don't limp and am young I have had people stare at me when I used to have the full one. I just look ahead and don't make eye contact or look and smile. If they want to say something to me then go ahead


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
So I feel like I'm on the edge of a cold- I am fighting it off with lots of soup with garlic and onion and lots of veggies and keeping warm.
Other than that I was thinking of getting the flu vaccination but wasn't sure if that would be okay to do so close to the surgery - do you know @Josephine or is this a surgeon preference thing?

I have my pre-op class on Tuesday so I will ask them there and if they don't know I'll call my OS. Also unsure if I have bacterial vaginosis (awesome huh!) so want to get that under control before going in for surgery- another visit to the doctor next week to see about anti-biotics. Not many weeks left to fit all of these things in!

Plus planning my "goodbye hips" party for the 21st- my sister has a rotisserie spit that we will borrow as I expect about 40 people and I have asked her to make a few salads (she's a chef ) and my mum is making some too.

I have two days per week of work next week then the following week, which is the week of my party, I have a 4 day week. so I will be pretty exhausted by the time the party comes around- but I need the extra funds so I will drink lots of coffee and power on!

I am excited to have a break from draining, exhausting work. I know I will get stir crazy being at home and unable to drive but it will be better than being sore and stressed at work!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Hi @dandy_candi - lovely to see your face! Really sorry to hear you've got health issues but can't advise on that I'm afraid. Happy to hear about parking permit. Oh how much would I have appreciated one of those! Your Goodbye Hips party sounds like such a great idea. You'll be glad to wind down on the work scene and your hips will surely appreciate the break. But as far as home and recuperating is concerned I have been surprised just how quickly time whizzes by. I'm 3 weeks out today and have kept pretty occupied - remember to write up your recovery diary, it will be a great source of reference when Hip 2 comes up. Counting down the days
 
Lucky you! They refuse to do this in the UK. I remember crying buckets when I was told since my disability was temporary I could not have a permit. For some this is really needed pre-op!
I have been ranting about this for weeks. I'm so lucky that my husband is able to ferry me around and my local supermarket has given me permission to use their disabled spaces without a blue badge (they have loads of bays - I am not taking a space from anyone who might need it more) but there must be so many people who end up stuck at home and unable to live anything like a normal life because of it.

@Miss Muffet 3 weeks? Wow, time really does fly! Congratulations on everything so far!
 
But as far as home and recuperating is concerned I have been surprised just how quickly time whizzes by. I'm 3 weeks out today and have kept pretty occupied - remember to write up your recovery diary, it will be a great source of reference when Hip 2 comes up. Counting down the days

So glad your recuperating is going so well and fast! Hope to follow in your footsteps


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
So today hits my 21 days until surgery mark!
I had my pre-op class in the city today and my mum came along with me and we met a friend for lunch.
The class was good- there were two other patients there and one had his wife with him. They were both also from my OS.

I got all my forms filled out and submitted and had bloods taken, urine sample and ECG.

So I was told my hospital stay is expected to be 3-4 days. I will need someone with me for the first few days home- mostly when showering just to look out for me.

Teds to be worn for 4 weeks and to take any prescribed blood thinners as directed once leaving the hospital.

The physio also came and spoke to us and seemed lovely. The exercises he said We will do will be mostly in the quads and gave a few to do before surgery. I will take them to my physio and see what he says.

Other than that no surprises- will be sutures or staples- no glue, with waterproof dressing. Will be showering independently before I leave the hospital.

One thing I was a little annoyed at was that my OS's assistant said everything will be taken care of at the hospital meaning equipment and then today they gave us prices for crutches and said other items can be hired. I do have some crutches so as long as they can be adjusted to the right height then I won't need to buy any but I was just a little annoyed. I am sure my husband can afford $30 for some crutches but i have been saving and budgeting for everything for months now so I could have factored that in if I was told before. Anyway, only minor.
Hoping my bloods come back fine as I'm a little worried I might have a bacterial infection. Crossing fingers I don't!

Hope your all having good days, I better try and sleep x


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi - see how that date just comes around! All sounding good, apart from the crutches question, seems strange they created that confusion. :what: Good luck with the bloods and hope the suspected infection isn't a reality. LUCKY you only wearing TEDs for 4 weeks (I've been told 6 and I absolutely hate them!) during the hot weekend I thought my legs would die of heat exhaustion ........
Now to organising home in readiness and your packing list for hospital.
Before you know it you'll be on the other side. Exciting! :wow:
 
I'm sorry I've been MIA on your thread! My alerts have been acting up quite a bit. Only 21 days, not long now. You sound well prepared my friend and I know you are going to do just great! These final days do become emotionally challenging, but you are a strong young woman and have done all your homework, so you should breeze through the surgery and recovery. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers @dandy_candi! Btw...GREAT photo of you!
 
Hi @dandy_candi Google free medical equipment exchange, there are agencies who have them for free and you return them when done, craigslist , etc. it starts to feel real when you go to hip class:)
 
Isn't it crazy how every OS is different with regards to recovery issues (even comparing posterior vs posterior and anterior vs anterior surgeons)? My OS requires us to wear the TEDS for only two weeks (Today's the day for me to toss them...thank The Good Lord)! I guess there aren't enough studies out there for surgeons to get a better grip on what's best. Crazy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dandy_candi
Now to organising home in readiness and your packing list for hospital.
Before you know it you'll be on the other side. Exciting! :wow:

Yes I have a list of hospital items to take with me. I downloaded an album of piano instrumental songs and another album I have been wanting to keep me relaxed while recovering/trying to sleep.
I have ordered an eye cover too as I think that may be good if I'm in a shared room and when I'm home



Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
These final days do become emotionally challenging, but you are a strong young woman and have done all your homework, so you should breeze through the surgery and recovery. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers @dandy_candi! Btw...GREAT photo of you!

Thank you Cynthia! I am just rolling with the emotion I am working 4 days next week and have been doing two days a week recently so that will be a test but the money will help and I then will have only 3 days the following week before I finish! It has been stressful at work and I'm no longer enjoying it so I am looking at each work day as an opportunity to pay for something else I need for my recovery and that's getting me through the days. Hope your having a good day!!

Yes it is strange about the difference I opinion on the TEDs!!
Thank you, I was blonde for a long tin and went copper before Christmas and I love it! My sister is a hairdresser

Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Hi @dandy_candi Google free medical equipment exchange, there are agencies who have them for free and you return them when done, craigslist , etc. it starts to feel real when you go to hip class:)

Thank you- I looked them up and there seem to be some in Melbourne, Florida but not in Melbourne, Australia!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
You may find the equipment you are looking for discounted in a thrift shop, many people donate their equipment after they have recovered.
I can't stand compression, the TED's come off as soon as no one is looking.
 
16 days to go and had a painful day today. Had a friend's birthday lunch in the city which is over an hour from my house. My husband had lunch at his Dad's so he didn't come. The drive there was okay but afterwards I went to a craft store to get wadding for my quilt and brickettes for our spit roaster for my party next weekend and I was in agony driving in traffic. I was about 35 minutes from home when I got this agonising weird aching pain in my right hip. It brought me to tears and I just let them flow and didn't care. Once I got home I was worried about getting out of the car but it was okay to walk on and now I'm just resting. Big week at work this week. Might see how I go and see how I'm feeling and maybe take one of the later days in the week off. Not long to go. Wish it was this Wednesday


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Ah @dandy_candi - I do feel for you. These preOp tears are something we all understand and that grinding pain just wears you down. Rest and ice and know we're all there for you (even if there's nothing practical we can do). Just keep counting down those days - soon things will improve :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom