The countdown begins....

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dandy_candi
I remember preparing, and being surprised....I didn't use any pjs with bottoms. None until 3 weeks after! Swelling. Only short nighties, and my favorite was a slippery one. I did bring a robe to wear down to PT.

Rather than bring slippers, I brought a pair of slip on sketchers kind of like this. It has a really comfy memory foam inside the shoe, and I am still using them at the gym ...... And no laces or backs!! Got them at an outlet for $30.

https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/11964/synergy-air-streamer/nvpk


My favorite ice pack was the free one from the hospital, but my 2nd favorite was designed as an ice pack for a cooler, but I like it because it is shaped like BIG bubble wrap filled with water, so the sheet will wrap around the hip. The one that I found in the store (next to the coolers) is 24 inches long so I can wrap - back to front. This is the smaller lunch one.

broken link removed: https://m.target.com/p/igloo-maxcold-natural-ice-cooler-2-pack-lunch/-/A-13273935

It is getting close!!! I didn't use a bunch of the official gear. Yes on grabber, walker with a cheap carpenter's belt for pockets (1.99 from Lowes), shower seat, and raised toilet (2 weeks only). Without a doubt, the hospital bed with a foam cushion on it was the best tool!!! Used it for 3 weeks. I never really used the sock thing or shoe horn. I just wore slides....in a really warm climate! But I had the anterior approach, so less bending restrictions.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The countdown begins....
    image.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 211
Funny how we revert to old fashioned crafting at intervals
It's in the DNA I reckon...creating and making - I don't think it matters what it is, we all seem to have the need to do it in some way :-)

I brought a pair of slip on sketchers
They are a great idea! I hate feeling like I am in pj's all day - they might just make me feel like I am human :-)
 
Thanks @Toddlermom and @Cynthia777 . I won't buy much more now, I am pretty set.

Yes @JMACCA I think it is in the DNA- the general public go through trends of crafting being cool but I always have and always will craft and make things. It's just so relaxing to me. Hopefully one day I can do pottery full time!


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I would recommend asking your surgeon's office about the timing of any injection. They need to be done well ahead of surgery. You would not want a cancellation due to this.

I called my surgeon and the cut off for injections is 3 months prior to surgery and I crossed that mark now so no SI injections for me! Just hoping the pain Meds will keep the SI pain at bay when I am in recovery thanks for the suggestion to call the surgeon @jacey - could have resulted in a reschedule!


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi It feels good when you have marked your checklist! So glad that you are gathering your goodies!

@JMACCA It is recommended to change your tennis shoes following surgery anyway. And these felt very stable with my walker! I am using them for light PT now.
 
@dandy_candi what a lovely thread this has become!!! Just catching up on it and have a great many things added to my preparation shopping list and have had smiles too! :flwrysmile:
Hooray for your finding the electric recliner! What a great bargain!

Love the crafty suggestions from you and @JMACCA ! I've not had much time lately to devote to any of mine...crochet, cross stitch and I'm a writer at heart, hoping in my down time to get some projects going as well.

I've just passed my chance for an injection as well. I was going to try one, then had trouble getting scheduled. When they finally worked it out and could get me in, I was feeling pretty good so I decided to wait without realizing how close I'd come to the cutoff. The last few days have been horrid. All started Tuesday, I had my joint class at the hospital, where they tell us all about how our stay will be. Had walked what felt like miles through the hospital and parking garage. Couple that with a busy week and well, my weekend was shot! Hoping you've had some relief of the SI pain.
 
It is good isn't it @MI chickee !!!!

Yes I am happy with my recliner- I think I will give it to my mother in law when I'm finished- she has poor health (many chronic conditions) so will find it useful and as it didn't cost much I won't miss the income.

I have started planning my quilt I will make- might even get it started and cut everything out so its ready to see come recovery time! Doing a English paper pieced hexagon quilt.

Yes I was too-ing and fro-ing about the SI injections and wish I'd just done them. I didn't have the money so that was a reason but I was unsure if I wanted to have it or not as I want to limit the amount of steroids in this joint due the limited amount of times you can have per joint. Plus the injections really hurt! Haha oh well, it is what it is!


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi and @MI Chickie :hi:. I had a joint injection last summer to determine initially if it was my hip that was the source of my problem. It's fair to say it was painful but did give me some relief for a few months till it wore off. When my OS saw me in January he recommended I didn't have another. Apparently they try To limit these due to the risk of introducing infection. So although it may give you some respite on balance i think it's as well not to complicate things so close to your surgery, which is why I believe they impose the time limit.:flwrysmile:
 
Pottery studio is up and half the floor is laid! I sat on a stool in there and the windows are lined up perfectly that I can see almost to the house on my left including the veggie garden and where my dogs run is and then a view out the back to the paddock and dam beyond. Pretty special. My husband is pretty clever, no matter how much he complains
[Bonesmart.org] The countdown begins....
[Bonesmart.org] The countdown begins....
[Bonesmart.org] The countdown begins....
I even made (with the help of hubby) a tool holder for all my pottery tools. Yay, something to get me through pre-op waiting


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
That looks brilliant.
I really should find a productive hobby for this summer. I'm usually a gardener but that's just not going to happen this year!
 
Yes I have had to hold back on the gardening @Zelda and my garden doesn't look the best but I am focusing on my veggie garden which is in a raised bed which is easier to access and I get my joy from that.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Mine is a mess just now. I couldn't do any of the autumn clearing last year so it's all just clogged with leaves.

I'm thinking about sowing annuals in all my veggie beds this year just so they don't get overrun with weeds. I should probably do one of those "green manure" crops but the flowers would be prettier. I can still get to my greenhouse where everything is on benches so I'll be able to potter about in there a bit. I do miss being outside!
 
OMG your place sounds amazing!

I can't wait to see your progression on the quilt, I love hand pieced quilts - they are so special. Have you chosen your colour theme? Or are you just going random?

Are you still thinking of having your 'Goodbye hips' party??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have some colours that I already have @JMACCA and will see what similar ones I can find as I go-
[Bonesmart.org] The countdown begins....

These will be the hexie colours and I want to find a nice graphic print for the back.

Yes, I am having a goodbye hips party- no theme just invited people out to our place. My husbands boss has a big pizza oven so we might borrow that and just make a big batch of pizzas.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
So I went and saw my rheumatologist today and i had prepared myself to be defensive of my decision for hip replacement, and she was fine! I have had doctors and medical (so called) professionals tell me all sorts of things over the years so I tend to have all my reasons ready to go and defensive mode switched on but she was great! Just asked what the OS had said for medication and advised me what she thinks I should do. And then said I can just see her in 6 months when I need my next prescription approved.

I had thought my appointment was this morning at 10.15 and i was on my way there (it's about a 50 min drive) when the receptionist called to confirm my appointment for tomorrow!!! I have to work tomorrow, and the next appointment wasn't until the 19th of April and I would have gotten my medication back to late and missed about three weeks of medication. So I got her to fit me in, and thank goodness she could! I definitely remember booking for Tuesday not Wednesday. So I ended up hanging out with my Mum for the day which was really nice anyway and had to wait until 5pm.

My mum had an Easter present which was a colouring book which I am stock piling for recovery. She also had the table I can use at my recliner chair and she also had a pair of crutches for me to use. I used them today while I was looking around at the shops before my appointment and I feel it did help take the pressure off. I am still sore tonight but not as bad as I would usually be.

We also found a grabber for $5 so I got one!!!

My lady lair is coming together! And my anxiety (I hate conflict) is lessening as I have less people to tell my news. I emailed my boss and said I think I need to do lighter duties and just do one part of the job description to save the errors I. Have been making, which will decrease my anxiety further. She said she worries about me being in the car all day (sitting all day?) but told me to come in early tomorrow and we can chat.
[Bonesmart.org] The countdown begins....



Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Oh and I also got some needles for my hand sewn recovery quilt!! Yay


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I love the idea of a goodbye hips pizza party. I might have a Hello Hips one instead!
 
That's a good idea @Zelda name them both something starting with 'H' and welcome them to the family!


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom