The countdown begins....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't thought of naming them. That could be a source of amusement in my family. Should they have traditional Scottish names or something more international? :heehee:
 
Haha well if they are Scottish hips they should have Scottish names @Zelda !!!

I'm having a bit of a bad day at work and wish I had the money to just stop work until my surgery. I am trying not to stress and just do the best I can but its really not helping In a high pressure, busy job where my brain needs to work and just isn't.

Maybe the pain is just adding up and making my emotions a bit raw. Need a good cry but got 3.5 hours of work left. And I messaged my husband and he's not being very helpful- maybe I'm just over sensitive though


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Okay, well this one can be Hamish then.

Sorry you're having a bad day - I hope things got better!
 
42 days until my RTHR and 84 until my LTHR.
Had a friend come and visit (we live an hour from each other but public transport is terrible so she had to take a train to the city then a bus out to me which was a 2 hour trip!)
We went shopping today and had coffee. She is one of my closest friends I met in Uni and she understands my Health and is really good. I worked yesterday and then saw my physio and picked her up. Just watched a movie last night and then a bit of op shopping (thrift shopping) today and I got some new hair colour. I did the food shopping after she got on the train and I am so sore! I was smiling at the older dears in the supermarket with their cane's. One lady was using the handle of her cane to get cereal down from the top shelf! Just sitting in my car trying to let the pain settle before the 50 minute car drive home. Rest when I get home as I have three more days of work this week. Lucky I have 4 days off in. A row after but think I am going to a tattoo convention- maybe I will use the crutches for that. Ugh. So sore. Hurry up surgery!!!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Had the OS assistant call me back today and she confirmed she was sending out my pack. Hopefully I get it before my pre-op class in 12 days as it has my pathology request form in it. I will wait until a few days before and call up if I need to pick it up in my way to my pre-op class- they recently changed our postage system so everything takes double the time to arrive in the post now!
I have 32 days left until surgery and 10 days left of work in the next month!
I have found that my chemist hires out shower chairs but with the two surgeries it may be cheaper to buy one- I will have to look on eBay and find a bargain.
I am going away with a friend this weekend for a well needed rest weekend. Her husband is in the army and they are living at opposite sides of the country so she needs some relaxing time too.
Not long to go now!!!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi - hi. See how that timer runs down! You've reached the seriously getting organised stage. I have found the shower stool really helped (even before surgery). Hope you have a lovely weekend
 
@dandy_candi ~ I've just today read your entire posts! You're getting closer now! And you have @Miss Muffet in your corner, cheering you on! Along with others encouraging you to do various crafts, etc. - what a neat bunch around here! Miss Muffet mentioned the shower stool. Do you have a shower over the tub, or a separate shower stall? I am already fearing entering the shower (walk in, not over the tub) for the first time after surgery! I don't have a grab bar, and don't trust the 'stick on' ones.....and don't feel the need for a permanent one (at least, not yet).

Also, will you be preparing food for the freezer for your husband? Care to share some ideas (mine doesn't consider soup a meal!!) Thanks.

I'll be watching you and cheering you on! You have a great attitude....keep it up.
 
Thanks @missmuffet - I know, this month will fly! Yes, I have found some cheaper shower stools so will definitely get one.

Hi @Nana2-8 - yes I have been pretty lucky in all the helpful advice I've gotten on here! I have a shower over bath in my ensuite which is a jetted spa bath (will be good in later recovery when I can use the bath) so is quite tall and I struggle to get over now but our main bathroom has a walk in shower that I will use during recovery. It's only about 55cm square so not that big so I think one of the shower stools rather than the chair type will suit.
I also have a rubber non-slip mat for the shower base. I'm not fitting any grab rail as I feel the size and the stool will be okay without it. I am going to see if I can get a new shower head that is one of the hand held ones as mine is fixed and will be harder to control.

On the food front- my husband doesn't mind cooking but other meals that freeze well are stews- can just freeze them and then do mash potato on the day to go with them ( we love rough mash with the skins on- easy!) also things like lasagne freeze pretty well and we even make up stirfry or curry - portion them into seperate containers and then freeze. I've been doing that for a while as we are both pretty tired at the end of a work day

Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Candace I love seeing your count down. I have 25 days till hip two so I am doing the same! I was shocked at how much less pain I had after my first and I hope you find that to be true too!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Hey Candace I love seeing your count down. I have 25 days till hip two so I am doing the same! I was shocked at how much less pain I had after my first and I hope you find that to be true

Thank you @jomarie58 . 25 days is pretty close to mine! Not long now!
Yes I was saying that to a friend the other day, I can't imagine not having pain in my hips- I can't remember what it feels like not to have pain there- it's going to be a massive change and I can't wait!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I just got my pre-op information pack in the mail and i was so excited. As I was reading through it I became less excited. My surgeon said the fees were $1000 per hip plus anaesthetist costs and insurance amount. In the paperwork it says $4000. Per hip.
As I read that I just burst out in tears. It's written on both of my forms for both surgeries so you wouldn't think that would be a mistake? That's a huge discrepancy. It's late now so I will have to call the surgeons office tomorrow. I am dreading doing it because I can feel like the answer will be- "of course it's $4000, that's what we said in your appointment".
I am so upset.


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi perhaps your insurance was not factored into the amount? Sure hope so! You certainly don't need that stress along with pre-op nerves. Please keep us updated!
 
I just spoke to the OS assistant @jacey and the amount was wrong, she said she must have been looking at the wrong health fund.

So I thought it was $1000, the price on the form said $4000 and then she told me now that it's even better because it's actually $500 per surgery!

Omg I almost had a breakdown last night thinking I wouldn't be able to afford it and now I have an extra $1000 up my sleeve. Talk about emotions up and down!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandi_candi :thumb: that is a good omen! Such a windfall can come in handy! Enjoy your tattoo convention! Sounds fun. @Zelda :) Hamish is a great name for a hip!
 
So I think I will come out the same cost wise because as well as anesthetist costs I also have to pay for an assistant surgeon which is between $350 and $500 per surgery. So with this cost I will be at the same amount so I'm glad no other fees increased.

I also found out I will have to wear TEDS and won't be able to drive for 4 weeks and will see my surgeon at 5 weeks. Also says I am to commence physio immediately but it's my physio who I have worked with for 5 years who will do my at home physio and I feel comfortable to tell him if it's too much. Getting excited now!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Thanks @gullimac !!!!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Excited is a good way to be! I'm glad you're not worried and the stuff like TEDs and not driving are just inconveniences in the grand scheme of things!
 
Just got a new shower head to make showering easier when I'm recovering. Has the detachable handle so can use it sitting on my stool. Only $20 too! Bargain!

Now hopefully get my shower stool and I'm set!

[Bonesmart.org] The countdown begins....



Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom