The countdown begins....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I haven't 'stocked' up yet, I am waiting still for a full diagnose - you are leaps and bounds ahead of me

I hope that you can share your experience and what is best - hehehee

I agree though, winter would be the best time to have surgery - that way I don't need to think about silly little things like how to hold an umbrella, rolling office (laptop bag) and walking stick! Seriously, I am not sure how people who are more disabled do it all!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I do think that too @JMACCA - like I'm young and I can't handle the pain- how do all the poor oldies in their 80's do it?

I just found out today that the internal applicant for the full time role at my work got the job. If it had've been an external applicant my hours would stay pretty much the same until my surgery as they would have had to train them up but because it's an internal person they are already trained so my hours will drop in the first week of April. I am kind of glad because I am struggling but was pushing through to have money saved for my surgery. But I should have just enough and then we do have savings (they are savings for a house but they are multi-use savings now!) that I can dip into if hubby can't cover the rest.

I was actually relieved when I found out so that shows my true feelings hey!


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Found an electric armchair for $40 and I'm going to look at it and pick it up in a few days. Hope it's comfy
[Bonesmart.org] The countdown begins....



Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Yes it is electric @Cynthia777 !!! I couldn't turn it down! Not the trendiest colour but it will do its job and for $40 I can't go wrong! Hope it will fit in my car haha


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
For $40, I wouldn't mind if it had pink elephant material! I placed a really nice comforter over mine, as the chair's material was much to be desired (but it's very comfy). Here's hoping it fits in your car! :-)
 
Yes I thought I could put a blanket over it or maybe get my sister to sew a cover. It's kind of useful being vinyl/leather as I tend to spill things so at least it will be easily clean-able! Haha


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am continuing to stock up on things I might need for my surgery whilst I am still working enough to afford them. I bought some ice packs today and will get a few more so I have a few to rotate.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I am continuing to stock up on things I might need for my surgery whilst I am still working enough to afford them. I bought some ice packs today and will get a few more so I have a few to rotate.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
Candice, I go in six days and have also been trying to get ready. I made ice packs this week using the directions here https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/ They turned out great for very cheap.
 
Oh thanks @lost1 ! I will make some to add to my stockpile!


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Found an electric armchair for $40 and I'm going to look at it and pick it up in a few days.

That is an awesome job! I thought I did well when I scored an electric armchair a few weeks ago for $160! I do love it but I found that I will need a table to go over it (like a hospital bed table) so I can watch movies and jump on the net (when I am not sleeping that is!).

What are you planning on doing while you are 'laid up'. Obviously there will be lots of rest, but do you have some crafting / making / drafting plans to take over the world activities?
 
Yeah @JMACCA I was so excited to find the chair at that price! I picked it up today! Hard to get into the car- hubby will have to get it out. Between me, the lady I bought it from and my friend who has a broken toe in 30 degree heat and 90% humidity we did okay!

I will look for one of those table things- good idea!

I have a few to serials to watch. I am not sure what crafty things I will do- I have lots of supplies so I will find something to do. Also thinking of starting up a business so I can be planning that! Taking over the world with TEA! Hehe (we are planning on starting a tea company/food van).

I made a quilt last year for a friend's baby and my nephew the year before and I want to make one for me so I might plan that out and cut the pieces out. I can't knit because of my arthritis but maybe I might try loom knitting- my friend does it and said it isn't too hard on her hands.

What hobbies/crafts do you do??




Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Got my chair in the house just before and it's great. Not so pretty but will do the job. Tried out all the functions and it lays all the way back so I will be able to sleep in it if I need. My SI joints are sore and not that comfortable in the chair.

I saw my physio yesterday and he said that my SI may be impacted in the interim between getting my right and left hips done. They aren't likely to want to do steroid injections into the joint in between surgeries so I might get it done in April before my first surgery.

I am thinking of having a 'goodbye hips' party with friends and family before I go in for surgery. To see everyone before I become a hermit for a few months. A friend suggested that I ask people to bring a meal to freeze or some DVDs for me to watch or something for me to do whilst I'm recovering. As I don't have Facebook I'm trying to work out a way to invite everyone


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
They aren't likely to want to do steroid injections into the joint in between surgeries so I might get it done in April before my first surgery
I would recommend asking your surgeon's office about the timing of any injection. They need to be done well ahead of surgery. You would not want a cancellation due to this.
 
Thanks @jacey -I will call my surgeon.
My physio has worked with this surgeon multiple times but the surgeons policies may change anyway.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Taking over the world with TEA!
OOOOooo I am intrigued!! My family are big tea drinkers - I LOVE going into T2 and finding a new blend...

I made a quilt last year for a friend's baby and my nephew the year before and I want to make one for me so I might plan that out and cut the pieces out.
That sounds great! Perhaps you could hand sew one - it actually doesn't take up too much time and it is something that you don't need to be bent over a machine to do. I am actually doing one at the moment - it is really random and totally scrappy.

What hobbies/crafts do you do??
Don't laugh, but I love basket making. I have FB and instagram for basketmaking and just love it. I think that will be harder to do during recovery, as the plant materials take a lot of prep. But I sew, crochet and will just about do any craft I can get my hands on.

The loom weaving sounds like something that is definitely easier to while sitting and I could imagine that it would be easier on your hands...

I am thinking of having a 'goodbye hips' party with friends and family before I go in for surgery.

I LOVE this idea! How FABULOUS!!
 
OOOOooo I am intrigued!! My family are big tea drinkers - I LOVE going into T2 and finding a new blend...

Yes long term I want it like T2 as a retail shop with 100's of teas but with table service and cakes starting as a food van at markets and hopefully turning to a shop :)


That sounds great! Perhaps you could hand sew one - it actually doesn't take up too much time and it is something that you don't need to be bent over a machine to do. I am actually doing one at the moment - it is really random and totally scrappy.

I had always wanted to hand sew a quilt! What a great idea! And I have heaps of fabric, I will have to get into Pinterest and look up hand quilting- do you do it similar to normal quilting in the 3 layers or all together at once? Ohhh I'm excited!

Don't laugh, but I love basket making. I have FB and instagram for basketmaking and just love it. I think that will be harder to do during recovery, as the plant materials take a lot of prep. But I sew, crochet and will just about do any craft I can get my hands on.

No hobby is laughable! I love all crafts! I would love to try basket making. We live on lots of land- mostly gum trees and natives- do they work for baskets? You should let me know your Instagram handle and I will look you up!



Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
table service and cakes
Oh that sounds AMAZING! What a great idea! tea tastings, and cakes! perfect!

Pinterest and look up hand quilting
Great idea! Here is one of my favorites: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=jude+hill+spirit+cloth&0=jude|autocomplete|1&1=hill|autocomplete|1&2=spirit|autocomplete|1&3=cloth|autocomplete|1&remove_refine=pinterest|autocomplete|1

We live on lots of land- mostly gum trees and natives- do they work for baskets?
That is perfect! One of the groups that I am part of only uses Australian natives. Check out the work of a friend of mine of instagram - @looselywovenbasketry - her work is with found natives and plants - it is just beautiful.

You should let me know your Instagram handle
@salty_jane and I also run @australianbasketry
 
@JMACCA see what you did there! Supporting @dandy_candi with great ideas. Your basket making sounds fascinating and I love Candice's tea shop and quilting plans.
Funny how we revert to old fashioned crafting at intervals - I distinctly remember a huge surge back in the 70s when nothing was safe in my home if it didn't have a macrame finish. I made my own douvet, jam, bread, patchworked cushions and covers (not very well). My grandmother though I was quite mad - she asked why on earth I was spening my time like that when I could easily buy everything! Fact is it is comforting.
The cross fertilisation that happens on here is fantastic.
What a great bunch of friends! :console2::friends::cheers: :friends::console2::friends::cheers:
 
I had such a good time (pre-op) preparing my "lady lair"! It's so comfortable that I haven't returned to my master bedroom (much to hubbys dismay)! I'm feeling the pressure to return to reality...Boy I'm going to miss the words, Honey, can you get me....Honey, would you mind...etc!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom