TKR The beginning, July 20th 2015

Oh, poor you. Yes, just ice, relax, and baby that knee. That should be your only responsibility. Take those meds. They made the boredom much more bearable for me. Hope all is well soon.
 
I am so sorry for complaining. This was not what I expected. Doctor didn't tell me. Doctor is cutting off pain meds. Told me to use Aleve. If he read my chart he'd know I'm allergic to naproxen (Aleve). I had gastric sleeve surgery. I can't take NSAIDS. And Tylenol don't work. I'm just having a bad night. I am so sorry.
 
This is a great place to complain. We have all had bad patches, and we sympathize with you, our compatriot. It is really the pits that you can't get appropriate meds. Keep being a squeaky wheel with any doctor that will listen and maybe you"ll get greased. So to speak. In the meantime rest and let the healing take place.
 
Heating pad on neck. Ice on knee.
I hear you. I had a heating pad on my back and ice on my knee at times. Definitely use the ice on and off throughout the day to help with pain control if you can't get any decent meds. :(
 
:egypdance:Not in a lot of pain. All I've been doing are the heel slides the last few days. Major difference. I have PT today. We'll see what they "try" and have me do. I've FINALLY got the pain under control. I also have a chiropractor appointment tomorrow for my neck. Sorry for being such a Debbie downer.:angel:
 
So glad to hear you finally have your pain under control!! Just take it easy with the exercises and don't let anyone tug, pull, push your knee in any way that makes it hurt. A little pressure is not bad, but NOT to where it hurts.. Good luck with the PT!! :yes:
 
Weights? No. Already sore doing it regularly. Do what?!?! 40 leg lifts with 40 pounds. Wait, I couldn't do that BEFORE the surgery. :rotfl: It's been four weeks today.
 
PT says I'm ahead of schedule. ROM of 135 at 4 weeks out. But, he also says I need to retrain my muscles. I've been limping for years because of the arthritis. When I walk, I apparently don't straighten my leg out. He says I have to retrain the muscles in my leg. He also didn't tell me how to do this. Any suggestions?
 
I had the same issue that because of the OA I didn't fully straighten my leg pre-surgery. For extensions, I do:
Quad sets - lying on my back I place a towel under my ankle and press the knee into the bed. 10 sets holding for 5 to 10 seconds each
Gravity hanging- lying on my stomach, I skooch to the edge of the bed until my knee is just past the edge and I let gravity pull the leg straight holding that position for 1 to 5 minutes
Walking - focusing on heel to toe foot placement helps me also focus on straightening the leg

I am still at -5 and everyone here tells me it will take time to get to 0. These extension exercises hurt and I find I am gaining strength and endurance faster than ROM. I don't know much but 135 seems phenomenal at 4 weeks.
 
I took the liberty of merging your recovery threads, as per forum policy. It is so much easier for all of us to keep track of your issues, your questions, your concerns, and your questions if we can look at one thread and do not have to bop from one thread to another.

That way, by using one thread, we can easier and more efficiently and more effectively help you and guide you.

Again, my thanks for your understanding,

Tim C.
 
twright100,
Your PT needs to show you exactly what he means to retrain your walking. He can show you how to do a heel to toe gait that will promote knee extension. If you are still limping use an assistive device to keep from developing bad habits.
You are very early in recovery, you will get there, Patience.
 
I had gait issues after my BTKR---remember, "mechanics is muscle memory"---and sometimes, what feels to be natural is actually not.

I spend some considerable time at the PT working on my gait with certain exercises.
Gravity hanging- lying on my stomach, I skooch to the edge of the bed until my knee is just past the edge and I let gravity pull the leg straight holding that position for 1 to 5 minutes
I did the same thing---I would use a heating pad on my hamstrings and warm them up---and then I would hang my knees over the bed with ankle weights---I would ever-so-slowly increase the weight and the time that I hung the legs over the edge of the bed. I iced the hamstrings afterward.
If you are still limping use an assistive device to keep from developing bad habits.
I agree!!! It is still early and you cannot rush this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One of the exercises that I did was to walk over little mini-hurdles---they looked like bicycle handle bars---the ones on road bikes that we call "in the drops." I had to focus on doing something slowly and correctly---remember, what is dysfunctional due to your limping is now "functional" and "normal."---It feels natural, and the PT needs to show you how to correct this---I can guarantee in the early days it will feel quite odd.
 
I would sit in a chair and put my foot on the ottoman, notice I said foot. My leg was bridging the chair and ottoman. Took care of extension for me.
 
I do the pillow under my ankles and push down and hold for 10 secs.. I may try the bed thing next... Walking for me is constantly in my head saying heel toe.. And pointing my toes straight.. I would drag my foot alot before surgery and I don't want to do that now

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
That is all quite normal---it is normal to feel that the new gait feels weird.

In athletics, as a coach, I had to correct a great one athletes who had improper mechanics---and they had to concentrate on the different feeling of the body just as you are now doing.

As you focus on the mechanics, though, you will recognize that one day, the correct mechanics for your gait just happens, and then you do not have to worry or focus on it any more.
 
Thank you all for your suggestions. I've been trying to concentrate on how I walk. So funny to have to do this. Feels weird. Most of the exercises you suggest I do twice a day for pt at home. I guess it's just going to take awhile. Right now it feels weird.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom