TKR The beginning, July 20th 2015

I'm glad you are feeling much better. I hope that your biopsy is clear and you are on a continued path to health.
 
Even though I never had a MRSA infection the OS I used wants me to have antibiotics for anything invasive or any dental work. I'm also not supposed to have a dental cleaning for 6 months post op.
I was never evaluated for MRSA but had to apply some ointment (Bactriban???) pre-op twice a day for 5 days or a week prior to my surgery. That was the most nerve wrecking direction on how to take the medicine especially since they mentioned a dosage that I never quite figured out.

I have had my teeth cleaned twice since my surgery. My hygienist and some articles on Bonesmart said the dental procedure precaution is unnecessary. My hygienist said I stir up as much bacteria when I floss as she does during a cleaning. I take the antibiotic as prescribed before the procedure anyway.

I hope the biopsy goes as well as a biopsy can.
 
@hawk2go
I'm sure it's nothing. Been through this before, ended up being a calcium deposit. They're just doing it because I'm high risk with mine and my family's history.
 
That was the most nerve wrecking direction on how to take the medicine especially since they mentioned a dosage that I never quite figured out.
found the instructions --> Start 5 days prior to surgery, apply 1/2 gram to end of Q-tip, twice daily to each nare. Pinch nose to spread inside nasal passages. I was like, well what the heck is a nare, how do I measure 1/2 gram onto a q-tip and when I pinch my nose the stuff oozes out! I guess I was effective at the application or the risk of MRSA was just way low.
 
When I had my total knee replacement surgery they test for MRSA by using a q-tip in my nose. I was still carrying it. So, they pumped me full of very very strong antibiotics through an IV.
 
Oh so maybe they tested me while I was out.
 
My nares tested positive for MRSA. So I used the ointment. As a nurse I was told most of us would test positive in our nose since we are always exposed to it. @hawk2go maybe your OS just goes ahead and prescribes ointment for all his patients. It saves the cost of the test.
 
Everyone, biopsy came back benign. How
long is my knee going to ache? Five months, it still aches and swells. When I've been up on it for awhile.
 
I'm happy to hear your results were benign. :yes!: I'm a week ahead of you my knee still aches and swells and I have pain when I work ( I'm on my feet a lot). I'm going to a new OS this Thursday morning to try to get some help since my OS doesn't seem to be helping me very much. I hope you are feeling better soon.
 
I am glad you are feeling better

@KarriB and
@newlybionic
How long do we have to take antibiotics before a dental appointment? Life?? My husband had his TKR 5 years ago and still has to take them.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Everyone, biopsy came back benign.
That's wonderful news! :yes!::happydance::yay: I'm so glad for you.
How
long is my knee going to ache? Five months, it still aches and swells. When I've been up on it for awhile.
I think it's normal for your knee to ache still, if you do too much for it. Remember that it takes a full year for healing to be complete, so your knee will still tell you if it's done too much. You should find that gradually your knee can do more adn more, without aching, as time goes by.
How long do we have to take antibiotics before a dental appointment? Life?? My husband had his TKR 5 years ago and still has to take them.
It isn't really necessary to take antibiotics before dental treatment. It used to be recommended, but opinions are changing. Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
However, if your surgeon still recommends antibiotics, you could ask him/her how long for.

My own surgeon wanted me to take antibiotics, but my dentist was adamant that they weren't necessary. I compromise. I don't take them for a simple fillings or dental cleaning, but I do take them for more invasive treatments, such as root canals or extractions.
 
Great news! I hope you figure out the pain cycle soon.
 
Well, haven't been here for awhile. My life has turned into a three ring circus. Anyway, eight months out and still swelling, getting stiff and aching. I mean, it's better than before surgery and better than right after surgery. I'm tired of it. Just had to whine a little. :-)
 
I think it's important you have a whine! 8 months is a long time to not be feeling more significant improvement.
I'm not even 4 months out and I could bore people as an Olympic sport!
Whine away ....!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom