TKR Thank You - hubby has had both knees done

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Legin Good to see part of you at least! So far you look a little like my brother.
@new knee in June I do believe he is watching out for us. Should we be afraid?

Well, we went to Walmart last night to pick up a few things. I have come to a conclusion that it is just a big germ petri dish. Woke up this morning with awful sinuses and my ear is all 'clogged'. Next time I have to go there I will wear a mask and bath in germx afterwards. Hope this is just a passing thing, have a party to go to Saturday!

Everyone Good morning!
 
@tiredwife sorry about your sinuses and ear being clogged. I woke up with the same thing on the left side of my face. I guess my immunity is low as I seem to be catching every little thing. Hope we both feel better soon.
 
@tiredwife sorry to hear you under the weather. I am feeling almost human again, did not go to the doctors. When I go to walmart I take wipes and wipe off the cart handle. I have been lucky no colds yet. When I went to CVS to get my scripts of course I had to wait and sat down and people were coughing and sneezing and all I could think is get me out of here
Knee no 2 is still painful, but taking no pain pills. I am still dealing with some swelling and knee no 2 gets tired easily and on a good note knee no 1 feels awesome and gives me no trouble. Will knee no 2 ever get there?
 
@Minnie's knees I seem to have had it a lot this year! I think my immune system is a little run down. I will make me some orange, pineapple banana juice and guzzle it today, that should do the trick.

@madinana glad you are feeling better. Remember no two knees are the same, Steve's second is taking a lot longer than knee one. Yours will get there! I promise! Steve was pushing the cart, I didn't touch it. It's all the hacking people.

@new knee in June If sick people would stay home, or at least cough and sneeze into their elbows there wouldn't be as many germs. I don't get the shot either, it usually makes me sicker than the flu does. Hubby usually gets his, but hasn't yet. I only get exposed in stores.

@Legin I would have kicked your dad in the hind end! Why not show us the whole face?
 
Admin Note:

The thread that Jo created in the Social Forum for tiredwife's chat has been opened so that you can post there. Please do not post social chat in this thread so that it can be cleaned and remain focused on tiredwife's husband's knee recovery.

I have moved the last page or two over to the new thread so that you can continue conversations. The remaining posts will be transferred as Jo can get them done. I appreciate your patience as we get this sorted out.

Here is a link to the thread in the Social Forum:
Tiredwife's Cantina
 
Well, hubby has been back to work since the 3rd of November and says he is glad he had it done, the muscles hurt above the knees. Still healing. Right one is worse than the left one. Doesn't hurt near as much as before TKRs. He says its a 2, and spikes to 3 now. Before it had spikes to 7 or 8. He walks so much better and they don't go out on him anymore.
 
It sounds like he's right on track. It would make sense that the right knee would be a bit behind the left since it was just done this past August. He'll probably continue to see improvements in the next year as all the muscles and ligaments gradually get back to normal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@tiredwife, Steve is doing great! I'm glad he's happy he had the surgery at this stage and he will be happier as time goes on. There are so many ups and downs the first several months but then it just gets better and better. I just have to keep reminding myself of this at times!
 
@Jamie Yep, he is doing good. He has a job that is hard on joints, but he is learning to pace himself.

@Yorkimom I will get there. Steve was lucky in that he had really strong leg muscles when he had his surgery. I think that really helped with his recovery.
 
@tiredwife, I have mixed feelings whether strong muscles really help or not. My right leg had been bad for so long and I always put everything on my left leg. So even though I exercised at the gym my right leg muscles weren't as strong as they could be. My recovery with my right leg went smoothly. Of course I had my ups and downs and my biggest hurdle was extension. I know that even before surgery my extension was at about a 7 so I wasn't surprised. With this leg, it wasn't half as bad as the right and was much stronger. They even commented at PT my second week after surgery how strong my quads were. And I had many more problems with this knee, and I'm still struggling with my ROM. A woman next to me was working with her therapist and the therapist said "your ROM is 97" which is very good for three weeks out. The woman was in her upper 70 and hadn't worked out or anything. Then I heard that often times when you don't have a lot of muscle mass it is easier. So who knows!!!!!!
 
@Yorkimom maybe we should do a survey! It would be interesting to find out what everyone says. I just know hubby had a great recovery and his leg muscles were great. I think there are a lot of factors though, ie how crooked the leg is, how good the OS is, how fast a person normally heals, etc.
 
@tiredife, that would be interesting. But like everything else everyone is different and there are so many different factors that go into it, I really wonder if we could get an answer. Even though this time has been harder and if I had to do it all over again I would definitely still go to my OS. He is fantastic, not only in his medical skills, but just a nice caring man. He has gotten such a reputation now that he is rated number one here. My father's knee was bothering him last year and he called my OS to get an appointment. He would have had to wait six months so he went to another OS in the same practice.
I also have to remember that I was having the other issue of weakness and labored breathing and that also slowed down my recovery.
 
@Yorkimom Hubby's OS is kind of new to TKR, but he is very cautious and caring. He was mainly in sports medicine. He hadn't done many TKR's so the main surgeon was in there too. It turned out great. We would have no problem recommending him to any one else. A good surgeon is worth their weight in gold.
 
This is why we tell folks not to compare one surgery to another when considering recovery. You cannot predict the outcome. There are just too many factors that enter into the equation.
 
@Jamie that is very true, too many variables. In a years time though they are mostly at the same point. Hubby has a guy at work that had his knee done a month before hubby's first knee and that guy is still not getting around good, his ROM is bad. The guy had the more experienced of the 2 surgeons even, but then again he is the type not to do any exercise if it is the least bit uncomfortable. Now they are talking MUA for him. I kind of feel a bit sorry for him because everyone at work keeps telling him that Steve (my hubby) is doing work why isn't he!?
 
Unless he just sat flat on his backside throughout recovery, exercise is probably not the issue. But there can be a host of other problems for this person. Too bad his supervisors are trying to make a "one size fits all" approach. Maybe he should see someone else outside the practice where his current doctor is just to confirm that the MUA is the best option right now.
 
Definitely a lot of variables in TKR recovery. As I know first hand any other health issues such as my rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, liver issues, bronchitis, sinus infection can affect it too.
 
@Jamie he is the type that probably wouldn't even do heal slides. We have known him a long time and unless someone stands over him and makes him do something he won't do it. He really hasn't done anything at work for 4 years. I think his supervisor is just trying to keep him from using his TKR as an excuse for sitting on his butt all day and getting a paycheck for it. Yes he has issues, but he probably brought them on his self. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but you have to know the guy. It is just frustrating that he refuses to do work and draws the same paycheck my husband does, when my husband is out working, climbing ladders, earning his pay.
 
Well, you will be pleased to know that I have finally succeeded in moving 2,055 posts into the Cantina thread.
It wasn't easy as in after each move, my browser froze for about 30 seconds. :tantrum:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom