TKR Thank You - hubby has had both knees done

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gingiebot Glad to see you back on bonesmart! Heard you had some more health issues. Hubby is doing good, a little frustrated that he isn't walking as good yet with his 2nd knee, it has better ROM than knee #1 though.
 
I think both knees are looking pretty darn good. Hope his thigh settles down soon.
 
@jsm His thigh right above the knee is really tight (still some swelling). His pain level pretty much stays a 3 now! Better than a 4! The knee itself just has a twinge now and again. The 1st knee scar starts up higher and doesn't go as far below the knee as the 2nd knee scar! It Is also wider at top than the second knee. No two knees are the same!
How are you doing today? Getting around okay?
 
I'm doing good. Thanks for asking. I have my 6 weeks checkup Thursday even though it will be 6 weeks 2 days since surgery. I'm anxious to hear what he say about my progress. PT says I'm way ahead for 6 weeks. I'm pretty much walking normal but really have to concentrate on walking without limping. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm limping. Doing stairs normal. Of course the knee still is a little stiff but getting better every day. Hope ya'll have a great day.
 
@jsm Jackie, glad you are doing so well! Hubby is limping more with this knee, he hardly limped with the first knee. He is just now occasionally going up the stairs like a big boy. He is using a cane, but sometimes walks around the room without. We still haven't heard from Tricare if his outpatient PT is approved or not, guess I ought to call them today. Home PT already released him. Your stiffness will stay for awhile and gradually fade away, every once in a while his 1st knee will be stiff even at 13 weeks. You have a great day!
 
Well, hubby's outpatient PT starts Sept. 2nd, soonest they could get him in.
 
@tiredwife so glad to hear that you finally got a good night's sleep. I remember I lived in my recliner for six weeks. I just could t sleep in the bed. Like Steve I propped my leg with pillows and it was very comfortable.
Steve's knees look wonderful!!!!
 
@Yorkimom Hi Anne, we are amazed at how narrow the new scar is! He is getting cabin fever so we went out to eat lunch.
How are you today? Your next TKR operation is sneaking up soon!
 
@tiredwife I'm doing fine. I have everything done for the surgery so now all I have to do is wait. I have been cleaning some closets. It will make me feel better when I can't do anything and know that they are done. We have a busy next few weeks so that will help with the waiting. The one thing that I just realized today is that I might have made a mistake with arranging my surgery date. On the 15th, 16th and 17th we are going on a golf trip with our twilight league. I normally play 9 holes, but when we go on the yearly trip we play 18 holes, three days in a row. The first couple of years it was hard for me stamina wise. Now I'm okay but I always take Advil because of my knee. My surgery is on the 19th so I won't be able to take anything. I wonder if wine will help!
 
Here is a comparison of 1st and 2nd knees so far. '?' is I didn't log down what happened:

Surgery day 0. 1st knee - spinal, femoral block (came out before he got to room), self administered morphine drip. Didn't get up.
2nd knee - spinal, femoral block that stayed in, no morphine, got up that evening.

Day 1 (thur) 1st knee pt flex 78 ext ?
2nd knee pt flex 91 ext 14

Day 2 (fri) 1st knee couldn't lift leg, no shower
2nd knee showered and could lift leg (and over did it)

Day 3 (sat) 1st knee not too bad, went home
2nd knee lots of pain and swelling, went home

Day 4 (sun) 1st knee - swollen
2nd knee - had company still in pain and swollen

Day 5 (mon) 1st knee - ?
2nd knee had company, still in pain and swollen

Day 6 (tues) 1st knee - could put full weight on knee and could stand strong without aid
2nd knee- still in pain and swollen

Day 7 (wed) 1st knee - Pain meds finally working good
2nd knee - pt flex 82 ext 6 swollen thigh

Day 8 (thur) 1st knee - ?
2nd knee - pain low 4, not as swollen , can put full weight on leg.

Day 9 (fri) 1st knee- ?
2nd knee - still having pain spikes, PT 91 flex 4 extension. nurse called OS got 12 hr oxy

Day 10 (sat) 1st knee -?
2nd knee - slept better, high spikes gone pain still at 4, knee still feels really stiff.

Day 11 (sun) 1st knee - ?
2nd knee - doing about the same

Day 12 (mon) 1st knee - ?
2nd knee - PT had jury duty

Day 13 (tues) 1st knee - switched to a cane, walking around in yard (lips swelled BP meds)
2nd knee - OS appt. said blood is pooling behind knee cap causing the pain. last lovenox.

Day 14 (wed) 1st knee - follow up with OS- Walmart
2nd knee - swollen from trip to OS yesterday, flex 107 extension 6.

Day 15 (thur) 1st knee - mowed
2nd knee - all steri strips off, went out to eat (Mexican)

Day 16 (fri) 1st knee - pain to a 2 - out to eat. upstairs like a big boy!
2nd knee - pain at a 3 for a few hours. 90% pain gone behind knee cap. Walking w/out aid around the house. flex 114 ext 3.

Day 17 (sat) 1st knee - still sleeping good.
2nd knee - company, overdid it, pain in thigh muscle, restless night, walked up stairs like big boy

Day 18 (sun) 1st knee - muscle cramps in thigh - tight
2nd knee -company left at noon, elevate and got pain back down to a 3

Day 19 (mon) 1st knee - cramps eased, pressure&pain in joint, more pain meds, 2 steri strips, knee not so big
2nd knee - bought battery for mower, home nurse came and released him

Day 20 (tue) 1st knee - hip pain, flex 102 all steri strips off
2nd knee - mowed, commissary (had to sit down) bruising about gone.

Day 21 (wed) 1st knee - walked around house, knee is knee shaped, bruised a lot!
2nd knee - went out to eat lunch, still limping some.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Yorkimom You aren't suppose to drink that close to surgery! You can take Tylenol though! Hubby was miserable when he had to be off his diclofenac.
 
@tiredwife wow you had everything done awesome comparison I have been resting today as this calf is a pain but at least it was manageable I did not have to take pain meds MY hip has been bothering me also but that is due to my RA Also had to get hospital bill straighten out that received today I open the bill and almost had a heart attack So waiting for a call back that they got straighten out, so you see am having fun not, Wow is it funny how two knee are not alike I wonder what I am in for. I decided to buy a ticket to go see my grand daughters in ST Paul MN I am doing it for 2 weeks from Sept 15 to Sept 29th They were on sale so what the heck. That way don't think too much about upcoming surgery
 
@madinana So how much were they trying to get you to pay? It is amazing how bad the medical billing departments can mess up. This just hasn't been a good week for you! Maybe you need to go to be and pull the covers up and hide awhile? I feel like doing that sometime. Hope your day and week gets better!
We are getting lots of thunder but no rain, I want it to rain so I don't have to water any plants.
 
Everyone, going to try one more night in the guest room so I can get some more sleep. Do feel better today, but still a little on the exhausted side. Everyone have a great night!
 
@tiredwife really no drinking a few days before surgery? I am really not a drinker. I always tease I would rather use my calories for food. If I finish a glass of wine I'm doing good. Anyway I guess I won't be having any wine. Hope you have another good night's sleep. Anne
 
I drank the night before my surgery. I thought that maybe it was better not too - but hey, it was before midnight so why not :) Now, I only had one glass.........
 
@Yorkimom and @ljrfrm Had to look it up again, found that you are not suppose to drink alcohol the day before surgery. So you would probably be okay before that unless you are on a lot of Tylenol then you could damage your liver. I think the Tylenol was why hubby didn't drink several days before surgery. So enjoy your trip Anne!

@msmechanic58 Good morning! Have a great day!

Everyone, slept in the guest room again but woke up at 6 and couldn't go back to sleep, so I got about 6 hours sleep. Hope everyone has a great day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom