TKR Thank You - hubby has had both knees done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Hardly any bruises at all. Once that blood gets absorbed and he gets his diclofenac in his system again I bet he'll feel like a brand new man. :cool:
 
@madinana yippie for a good OS visit!broken link removed: https://graphicshunt.com/emoticons/images/pink_elephant-108.htm Let me know when it gets scheduled!

@gr82cu2 We are surprised that that is all the bruising, plus a small one from the tourniquet. It never got really dark either. This leg was pretty straight so he didn't have to manipulate it as much. We hope that his body absorbs that blood really fast. His pain did get down to a 3 for about 15 minutes today! Maybe there is hope. He starts the diclofenac tomorrow. I think it will make him feel a lot better.
 
Can he stand to have his knee massaged at this point? I was talking to my PT today about how hard my outer thigh is from where I was bruised so badly. She said to use a hand held massager on it or even roll a tennis ball around on it with gentle pressure. The old blood thickens and it is harder for the body to remove it. I guess the massage helps to break it up.
 
@gr82cu2 We can try that if it doesn't bother him too much, we have one ice wrap that has a vibrator attachment to it. Thank you for the advice! Is Mini still hiding his puff ball under the TV?
 
Mini has been sleeping a lot of the day today. He comes alive more in the evenings. He did stop by for a chin scratch after I got home from PT though. :kitty:
 
@gr82cu2 Our cats sleep most of the time, unless you want them too and then they are wide awake!

Grandson didn't fall asleep this evening, his dad just picked him up, so I couldn't get back on until now.
Everyone have a good night!
 
@Ollie Thank you. How are you doing?
By the way, Washington state or DC. My son and his wife live at University Place in WA.
 
@tiredwife Sorry Steve is still having so much pain! Hopefully that pool of blood dissipates quickly and things improve dramatically! My therapist gives me a very gentle massage (and I mean very gentle!) around my knee and calf, which is still very sore. I wish I could describe how she does it, but all I can say is she has magic in her hands! I just relax and close my eyes and it calms my knee and is sooo relaxing & does ease pain! Then I'm able to finish my pt exercises! We must not be too far apart - I'm about 65 miles from Kansas City, but on the Kansas side.
 
@tiredwife Washington State! I live in the Eastern side of WA - the drier side!! :snork: But I know University Place; we visit Seattle regularly.

I am doing pretty well, I think. Am off the narcotics and using naproxen, ibuprofen, and Tylenol in a sort of rotation. I have a couple pain pills tucked away for the first week of school in case I need a boost!! As is typical, most of my pain comes at night. Although it is actually more discomfort; still using pillows to help support my knee. I just don't have much real ouchy pain anymore. Even when I get a bit of swelling and stiffness, the pain is easy to control - haven't been above a 3 in weeks!! I also am able to spend a bit of time in the therapy pool on my own a coupe days a week. It is open from 12 to 1 and I can walk, stretch, and generally loosen up. Is nice and has helped a lot, I think! Well, if I think it helps, it does, right?! :yes!:

Right now, my non-surgical right knee isn't very happy - but at least I know that pain!! All the pool PT has it pretty fired up. And we took an overnight trip to Spokane last weekend, and the three hour ride plus about an hour of shopping AND sitting through a show took a toll. On the drive we stopped several times both going and coming home and I got to walk a bit to stretch, and I iced in the hotel, but I was still pretty stiff and that poor right knee flared up good. Have started to use my cane to support it now and then; it will get its turn next June!! And I can say that now - 9 weeks ago I was certain I'd never EVER do this again!! :no-fin: But now that the worst is behind, I am looking forward to it a tiny bit! Sort of!

How is Hubby's pain? Edging down? Hope so. It really is the difference between good and not so good recovery, I think. I am glad to hear that the PT thinks this knee is 'better' at every stage than the first, even though it's been more painful. That gives hope for a great long term outcome!! Oh, and I found that a warm compress really helped my tourniquet pain and the bruising. I kept it off the knee and incision itself, but could wrap it across my thigh or down on my calf. Really was soothing. How about you? Getting the sleep you need?

Have a good day today!!
 
@DianeJ We are about 60 miles the Missouri side of KC. So we are about 125 miles apart. Hubby is swollen and sore this morning. Between the OS messing with his knee, and him hanging it down for the ride to and from the appointment, and in the waiting room (you would think an OS waiting room would have a few foot rests)it isn't any wonder.

@madinana I think I even forgot your daily elephant yesterday! I'll have to do two today!

@Ollie My son works on the Microsoft compound north of University Place, and daughter in law just got her teaching degree and subs in the area. I think hubby would just be glad to get his pain down to a 3 for part of the day! Wonder if your right knee will last to next summer. You will probably have to baby it through. I think if hubby had this pain with the first one, he would have had a harder time getting the 2nd one done.

Everyone, have a great day!
 
@tiredwife yes I noticed no elephant but did not say anything as with Steve not being up to par and you babysitting I keep quiet :snork: I am so sorry Steve is swollen and in pain. I also wonder about os office they have uncomfortable chairs and no foot rests He is having such a hard time makes me wonder if I am being to gutsy to schedule second one so soon, I will :prayer:really hard that he will get relief real soon like now!!!!!!
 
@madinana It is just the pooling blood and he still has a tendency to overdo it. He is actually getting around better the last couple of days. I have to go do dishes and clean some floors as PT will be here soon. I will check in later after she leaves.
 
Hi Everyone, PT just left said he is doing fantastic. Extension didn't get better, but flex is 107. Not bad for a swollen knee! The red around the edge is the last bandage decide to irritate his skin.
[Bonesmart.org] Thank You - hubby has had both knees done
 
@Jozilla I think he is feeling somewhat better, is walking better. Just be glad when the blood gets absorbed and the pain behind his knee cap goes away. At least I don't have to give him lovenox injections any more!
 
His knee looks great! The scar looks good and he had so little bruising. His ROM with that swelling is excellent. Soon maybe you won't have to be so tired! Hope you're getting some good rest and pampering yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom