Guest viewing is limited

TKR Thank You - hubby has had both knees done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please rest up Tiredwife! You are so good with this recovery. It could be a new career for you - home tkr recovery assistant. You would be very popular!! Take care - I have my pre op today and doctor appointment. (((Hugs)))
 
Just popped in to say hi - we haven't chatted since pre-op. I was doing pretty well until today when the P/T and doctor decided I don't have enough ROM and had me push it. Ache, ache, ouch and we're NOT doing that again tomorrow. It will come slowly or not at all. Not going to hurt myself for the them and their fascination with me reaching 90 degrees before discharge.
 
@marmora I enjoy responding to the threads - it is odd but it is relaxing for me, maybe because I get to sit still in one spot for awhile. I will admit the company and caring for Steve and the cats wore me out some (plus having the grandbaby yesterday evening). I plan on napping off and on all day today. Hubby's pain is back to a 5 with higher spikes when he gets up. If we can't get it controlled by the end of the day I will call his surgeon tomorrow and see if they can add something to his pain meds.

@Yorkimom His main swelling is in his thigh this time. It swells, we elevate, it goes down, he gets up to go potty, it swells, we elevate, it goes down. A vicious cycle. We had such high hopes the first days in the hospital that this would even be an easier recovery than the first, but circumstances have conspired against it. We will give it a few more days before passing judgment though. I will survive this, I'm from tough stock!
 
@madinana Good Morning Sunshine! I got about 5 hours sleep last night, hubby had a rough time getting comfortable. He would probably be more comfortable without the wedge pillows, but until the swelling gets under control, they are staying under the end of the mattress. He is still in bed.

@dovemck luckily hubby's hospital doesn't stress with that, first knee he wasn't even at 80, this knee was 91 but then the day before release it probably wasn't a 70 because of swelling from overdoing it the day before. You will be swollen and set back now that they pushed you. It is such a brutal surgery, you would think medical people would know better.
 
Hi everyone, our company left at 4 pm last night, then we had the grandson from 5:30 pm until 11:15 pm. I am hoping we can get things under control now. Hubby's thigh still swells bad. Since the narcotic jerks his pain doesn't get much lower than a 5 (if that still goes on today I will call his surgeon tomorrow and see if he can add something to his pain med regiment.) I had him in bed elevating and icing from 4 pm yesterday until about 10 pm last night when he got up to spend a little time with our grandson. Then back to bed at 11:30 pm and he is still there and it is 8:23 am. Although he has been doing flexing and extension exercises he hasn't been doing the whole list. If we can get the pain down again, we will gently add those today. Home PT hasn't called yet to set up a day and time, at this point I don't know if he is ready. On the plus side the prune juice is working, and he can get himself in and out of chairs and bed by himself. Thank everyone who has stopped by my thread to check on us! I will start checking my alerts after I get him something to eat. Everyone have a great day.
 
Good morning Jackie. I'm sorry to read that Steve is struggling more this time. He's a super star though and will come out victorious in the end. I have no doubt. It could be he's having a more normal recovery this time. It hasn't even been a week yet. Hang in there, both of you. (((hugs)))
 
Hope Steve gets his pain controlled soon! He will probably feel better just resting up today. Visitors are great but can be draining. I see a neurologist regularly for major back issues. He told me that when your leg jerks like that it is a form of pain and needs to be treated. Lucky you are there to advocate if he needs more meds! Take care!
 
@Ollie Hubby loves jazz, rock, classic etc. We get a station through the internet called Pandora that he loves, you put in the type music or group you like and it plays it randomly for you. We love Ella and a lot of the older type music. His favorite song is It's a wonderful Life by Armstrong. Our son had it played at his wedding and hubby cried. He looks rough but he is such a softy!
Emily our 'nurse' kitty is often on his lap. They can be very soothing until they dig their claws in! ouch!
I think the visit set him back some, but he said it was worth it. It got his mind off his knee a little, and we always enjoy it when John stops by. He should have been spending those first days in bed instead of up visiting.
Haven't had a problem getting the narcotic, they just almost ran out of the lovenox but they had enough to do until their shipment made it in Monday when I picked up the rest of it. You have a great day!
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, it is just that he did too much in the hospital, that started the pain spiking, and then with company he wasn't doing what he should have fresh from the hospital. 1st knee the swelling was mainly in the knee, this time it is the thigh. 1st time the thigh muscle had a knot in it, this time the knot is huge. A nurse is stopping by today and we will have her look at it. She works with the home pt service. He had 91 in the hospital before he overdid it, then they didn't even bother measuring it the day he got out because the thigh was so swollen. I doubt if it is even a 70 now. We now we will get him back on track, it will just take time. You have a great day!

@Jozilla Narcotic jerks are very common. It is usually as you drift off to sleep. I have a theory about it. As we fall asleep are body produces a chemical to prevent us from acting out our dreams. I think maybe the narcotics interferes with that and the jerks are the body starting to act out the dreams. I am probably wrong, but somehow it makes since to me! When he was on the narcotics with the first knee he had them even when his pain wasn't that high. We will get a handle on it all, it just may take a little time. Thankfully the prune juice is working so he doesn't have that issue on top of everything else. He is also getting a lot of sleep.
 
Just stopped by to see if Steve is behaving. Sounds like a rough stretch but you are both tough enough.
Good thing the first one wasn't as bad he might have ran for the hills. Won't be long & he will be better than ever.
Glad I won't need the other knee done anytime soon but I can't seem to stop the ageing process on some of the other parts. Good luck & hang in there.
 
@tiredwife just stopping in to see how you and steve are doing So glad prune juice worked at least he is not backed up :censored: better not be smart ha or you guys will come after me with :old: and with my elephant leg well i can not :running: maybe walk fast :walking: I hope i brought a chuckle with my crazy post :rotfl: well i think am funny :snork::loll::bolt:iI am out of here :sos:
 
@ironman60 Thanks for checking in! He is in bed icing and elevating and sleeping, we have alarms set and he takes his 2 Percocet every 4 hours around the clock. If the muscle spasms he takes a flexeril. His pain level has finally lowered to a 4, hoping to get it to a 3 by tomorrow. It really is odd how 2 knees on the same person could heal so differently, but then again if he hadn't of overdid it in the hospital, and then have company for 2 days he probably would have had it easier than the first knee.

@madinana Yes you gave me a chuckle you wild thing you! :heehee: I am almost done catching up with the 38 alerts I had this morning! After I am done it will be nap time, whoops forget that, just looked at the clock, need to make dinner soon. Sounds like hubby has gotten up. Ouch, said he had another narcotic jerk in his knee, pain is back up - argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor guy! Well, I will catch you later!
 
:heehee: @madinana
Yes, with your 'elephant' leg you don't want @tiredwife & Steve :walking:running after you !

I happen to really like a Prune a Juice and stewed prunes as a dessert, so no difference adding them every second day to my meal plan.

Hope you 'elephant' leg settles down for you. :holysheep:

What date is planned for your second TKR ?
At least, for the next surgery you will know what to expect.

Take care and hope the rest of your day goes well. :flwrysmile:
Cathie :)
 
@marmora -- @madinana could probably out run me. With my asthma I don't run. Hubby couldn't catch her right now either. She is safe for now! Hubby hates his juice, but it works. I haven't tried it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So just wondering - what's up with thigh pain? It's kicking me too and it's not something I was expecting. It's top of my thigh and down the outside of the leg right down to the joint line. Muscles solid as a rock and hot. The bit I don't get - sitting makes it worse (not whilst sitting but when I stand up omg the pain is like FIRE). Is this the kind of pain Steve is getting? What the heck has caused this and what relives it??
 
@dovemck He says his is more like a cramp. He had a little pain in the thigh with the first knee, but nothing like this. They use a tourniquet on your thigh, and that causes bruising to the tissues, muscles etc. Like any bruise it makes it tender. He uses his gel packs and ice machine more on the thigh than the knee. His thigh swells a lot, so he has been elevating a lot to try to get that swelling down. Usually a burning pain indicates nerves are involved, so you may have nerve endings reacting and healing. Just try icing the spot, elevating as much as possible and take your pain meds on schedule. Like everything else with the recovery it will get better with time, if you don't see any improvement talk to a doctor.
 
Okay everyone, this is one girl who is more than ready to go to sleep. There are things I was going to do today like laundry and clean house, but I decided I needed a break, so haven't done much but take care of hubby, pay some bills, and run out and get some of his meds (our family doctor is taking over writing the scripts so we don't have to run to the other town all the time to get them.) I am going to bed early and hope hubby sleeps good so I can too. Good Night to you all, pleasant dreams!
 
@marmora I see my os on august 19th and tell him do my husband work insurance I have to have it in early October or middle of November as his boss said something about insurance will be changing to obama care we are not sure what that means We have a high deductible as is and can't afford going in debt for getting knee fix so we will see will do some research a don't understand it something for me to stress about :type::sigh::snork:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom