TKR Thank You - hubby has had both knees done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craigslist is a great avenue to find a recumbent bike or stationary bike for your husband. Just be sure to disinfect it. And be careful. Ive never had any issues from CL. But others have. Best of luck , Iceman
 
Hubby is still napping - couldn't sleep well last night - which frustrates him because he doesn't know why, not pain, been off the meds a long time, tried antihistamines, melatonan, etc.

I think this is "normal" following major surgery. It has happened to me every time and I think the anesthesia causes it. It is extremely frustrating. I think also, because we don't sleep well at night we get in the habit of napping when we can and that interferes too but what can you do? After my hysterectomy it was so bad I finally asked my doctor for help and he prescribed Ambien for 10 nights and that seemed to get me back into a normal sleep rhythm. I hope it works for your hubby.
 
@icep707 we have local swap shops and iland here, don't trust craigs list that much. We aren't in that much in a hurry, it is for after PT is over.
@gr82cu2 He has had 6 surgeries before and never had this problem, I now almost all TKR's have the issue. He has tried staying completely awake during the days. He has tried zquil, antihistamines, heat before bed, icing at night, not icing at night, bourbon (yes he is off pain meds), melatonin, exercising before bed, me rubbing is leg muscles. I think the worse part is not knowing why he can't sleep, no pain, don't know why. I really hope the Ambien works. How is Tucker?
 
I really hope the Ambien works. How is Tucker?

I hope it works for him too. It is miserable to not be able to sleep especially when there is no reason not to be able to.

Tucker seems to be doing ok. He is still eating well and is keeping it all down. I really thought we would hear the test results from the vet no later than yesterday but here we are, 8:39 pm on Saturday night and still no word. I won't go back there unless I feel it is our only choice. The animal hospital is 1st class and when you are one on one with them there they are great at putting you at ease and explaining everything but otherwise their communication is horrible. When we went to pick him up Tuesday night I let them have it. I had been promised twice I would be called with an update on him and no one called. Then, they called and said come get him. It takes us 45 minutes to get there and then we were kept waiting another 45 minutes so I went to the reception desk (they had us waiting in an exam room) and complained. I threw an absolute fit. Of course they made us pay the bill before we were even taken into the room. At that point I just wanted Tucker and his discharge instructions. I was livid! They said there was only one person who could bring him to us and she was busy. Ugh! So, anyway when we finally talked to the vet she said we would know Thursday or no later than Friday and here we are. You can bet I'll be on the phone with them first thing on Monday. Thanks for asking!
 
@gr82cu2 Glad Tucker seems to be doing okay. Him eating and keeping it down is a good sign. It is frustrating when people and companies don't keep their word and don't have common courtesy. I think people just don't care anymore. The ones that do get overworked and soon burn out. It really is sad. Part of the problem is greed. They often have one person do the job of two because they don't want to pay two. Keep me posted on how you and Tucker are doing!
 
@tiredwife wanted to stop and say good night. My grand kids and daughter in law leave in the morning. I had another swell up day of lots of icing and took long nap. I am tired took pain meds and another night of sleeping on couch as can not get comfortable in my bed. So nighty nite will have more time for computer time after sunday lol
 
@madinana lack of sleep is such and awful part of this recovery! Especially when pain is gone and there is no reason for it. Hope you can sleep!
 
This was outside the store we grocery shop at, Hubby couldn't resist a peek.
[Bonesmart.org] Thank You - hubby has had both knees done
 
@tiredwife after looking at that picture the song If I were an Oscar Myer Weiner :loll:good thing you can't hear me singing :rotfl: I had another rough day of swelling and stiffness and am tired :tiredwheel: :yawn: and going for another night in the bed my husband went in before me and forgot to put the wedge in, I will catch ya tomorrow ---if I were a Oscar Myer Weiner I will be singing this in my sleep :bored::yay::spin::egypdance:
 
@madinana I know, it's been stuck in my head all afternoon! :heehee: You can use the wedge on top of the mattress but your leg may slide off.
 
Everyone , I probably won't be on here much Tueday or Wednesday - have some busy days. So if I don't say hi - Hi ahead of time.
 
@tiredwife ...I have the same problem with sleeping. Let me know if you find a solution please.

@madinana are you ever going to slow down and just rest? I know your family came to help but they sound like work. Has your doctor mentioned compression wrapping for the swelling? Not the compression hose. You get a roll of 3" wide gauze (approximately), and a roll of that self stick sports tape. Maybe a few extra strips of some adhesive tape. Start wrapping with your gauze at the base of the toes. Cover the foot, ankle and lower leg up to the knee. Don't make it tight, just roll so it is firm against skin but not tight. Tape end of gauze to skin to keep in place. Now do the same thing with sports tape, right over the top of the gauze. Just wrap it gently but firmly all around foot and up leg to knee. Now, just leave that in place for two days. I swear its magic....pulls all the swelling right out.
 
@Gingiebot If I find a solution for the sleep problem I will shout it from the roof tops! Closes we came was 1 and half shots of bourbon.
 
@gr82cu2 Thank you! Between hubby's PT, pre-op appointment, doctor appointment for Ambien and watching our grandson I will only be able to do quick pop ins Tues and Wednesday.
 
Everyone great news!!!. Husband came rushing in all excited. He said, 'it's gone, all the stiffness, tightness, everything gone!' All he has left is a little adhesion feeling at the top of his scar that goes away when he bends his knee a couple of times. He is so excited and has high hopes that he can also sleep tonight! Had to share the news.
 
That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for your hubby! He'll be good to go for the 2nd one in August and will be good as new in no time.
 
@gr82cu2 Thank you, and thank you for stopping by, I know you are going through a rough time.
You should have seen hubby's face, like a kid at Christmas!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom