Guest viewing is limited

TKR Thank Goodness I Only have Two Knees!

Well it wasn't the prettiest 24 hours but I got through it. The increased dose didn't really help but it did make me feel nauseous and foggy. I was awake quite a bit last night but after I got up I took a nap and my pain seemed to ease off a bit. I'm actually back to my regular dose of meds and so far it is working. Not sure why my leg was so acutely painful but I'm hoping it doesn't come back. My BP was like 178/90 when the nurse came out to see me yesterday (or maybe she was a PT). We didn't do any PT - she said try to get up every hour for a tiny walk and do the foot pump exercise to help against blood clots.

Hopefully I've turned the corner on that type of pain because it was relentless. I know it's going to hurt but I didn't have anything like that with knee #1.

I guess you change my title to Thank Goodness I Only have Two Knees - haha! Or whatever you think best!
 
Sorry that the pain meds caused nausea, @selketine. Just awful. But you are now firmly on the healing side and things will get better.

I've changed your title (love your sense of humor!) as requested. Take it slowly. Rest and recover is the name of the game for now.

:flwrysmile:
 
Nice to know that you're on the road to recovery, selketine.
I agree that your thread title is a good one! Maybe a winner....if we held a contest. :wink:
So sorry you were off to a rough start. I hope you're able to keep the pain well controlled and you have a decent day today. :fingersx:
@selketine
 
Well it wasn't the prettiest 24 hours but I got through it. The increased dose didn't really help but it did make me feel nauseous and foggy.

Hopefully I've turned the corner on that type of pain because it was relentless. I know it's going to hurt but I didn't have anything like that with knee #1.

I guess you change my title to Thank Goodness I Only have Two Knees - haha! Or whatever you think best!
Great new title and for those that have had both done, we can all relate!

My personal opinion is that pain management is critical to recovery and often times the nurse and doctor may be too conservative with opioid type pain relievers. This is part and parcel to the opioid epidemic we had (and still have) in the U.S. For me personally, I manage my pain as my knee dictates. Meaning, I may deviate from the conservative and generic guidelines of the standard protocol. I listen to my body and let it dictate the frequency and dosage required to stay ahead of the pain curve. I'm not advocating that for everyone, but it's what works for me. My goal is to get off the opioid pain meds as quickly as possible, but they do have their place in the recovery process. I envy those that I read about that never had to take them.

IMO, you can't recover or rest if you're in agonizing pain.

Also, if the Oxy makes you nauseous, talk with your medical team, there are other drugs that help with that and make the Oxy pain management more palatable.

Best of luck in your ongoing journey!
 
I'm sure anyone around for my recovery from surgery #1 in January knows I posted non-stop and this time - not much. That is 100% related to how painful these past days have been - I couldn't focus on anything. My surgeon gave me a stronger script for pain meds on Friday and I didn't fill it - was going to try to gut it out but Friday night at midnight I was like "boy I'm stupid" and wished I had it - so I got it filled yesterday. The pain is indeed better - and sometimes now back to what I remember it being from the 1st surgery. Which is ... maybe like a 6 or 7 - hurts and you're always aware but you're not overwhelmed and when it goes higher the pain med brings it down. I was surprised to have that much pain in the post-op recovery area but they didn't send me home with the pain med that worked then. My surgeon was responsive and got back to me and we tried a higher dose of what I had - which had no effect. I told him that the next day and he gave me a different med - something stronger. It wasn't his fault but just more a function of the HMO slowness. I can see why spending the night in a hospital would have been fantastic this time but unneeded last time. I've had two c-sections, other surgeries, a traumatic brain injury after a bike accident....and this pain had them all beat.

Anyway...the pain is overall backing off now and I'm feeling more in control. I took the stronger stuff twice yesterday (afternoon and night) and back to the regular stuff this morning on the original schedule and see how that feels. So far so good. I think in the end I probably needed the stronger med Wed night for a few days and then we could back off. It's wonderful just to be back to regular pain - haha!

I took the big wrap off yesterday and my knee and leg all look fine - no redness or unusualness. They had A LOT of trouble getting the spinal anesthesia to work - the anesthesiologist was trying forever - at least 3 times - and I think the pain block thing never worked this time. Maybe that had something to do with the pain?

On the plus side - I feel like I'm able to do more in terms of lifting my leg better, getting myself dressed, etc. Boy I haven't paid ANY attention to bend or straighten but it feels harder to straighten. I took a shower yesterday - I'm not supposed to get the leg wet so I used a shower cover made for casts that I used last time and that works great.

I'm excited to get past this part and onto getting this leg stronger (yes I know it will take time before it's ready). I'm hoping to stay with PT longer since both knees can do all the exercises now that I have two good knees - and being able to walk without pain? What is that? haha! I can't even imagine.
 
It's wonderful just to be back to regular pain - haha!
Ugh, must have been awful for you to think this, selkitine. I'm sorry you had this experience so early on.
Thankfully there have been a few positives. Showing, dressing yourself, and lifting your leg with greater ease. I hope the list grows this week. :fingersx:
 
On another note surprised you're getting dressed even. I'm into my 5th week and I only bother with that if I have to.
Well....shorts and a t-shirt which doesn't look so much different from my pajamas I must admit! I'm glad you're feeling great! I remember with my last knee that somewhere around week 6-7 I was able to do a lot more and felt better. I'm looking forward to that point!
I hope the list grows this week
I think I've turned the corner for pain and won't need the stuff I picked up Saturday - sure could have used it Thursday and Friday!

The home PT that I'll see until the end of the month comes out for the first time later today. Last surgery I was careful to not get constipated from the meds and this time all that went out the window because of that initial pain. All the excitement of that first week of TKR - always something!
 
I think I've turned the corner for pain

The home PT that I'll see until the end of the month comes out for the first time later today.
I'm so glad your pain is more manageable. Don't get crazy now and do too much PT today. That will more than likely cause bounce-back pain. You don't want that! Let us know how it goes.
 
Comfy clothes, or pajamas are the ticket in these early days. You have grab comfort where you can get it.
Thankfully you feel you turned the corner with the pain and it's under better control. Whew!
Good luck with PT today. I hope you find him / her to be a good match and you have an easy session!
@selketine
 
Hey it's Thursday! One more week until the blessed staples get removed.

PT has been out twice - he's a new one for me and I like him. I don't know who his other patients are but he seems to think I'm killing it. :heehee: He is just very happy with me for some reason. The home PT in January (liked her a lot as well) was never quite happy with anything.

Mostly the pain/discomfort is back to what I remember from last time at this stage - annoying but not like the ice pick hacking away non-stop like last week.

A few differences I've noticed between this surgery/knee and the right knee done in January at least so far:
  • I can stand up to do things like brush my teeth or whatever and not feel halfway through like I need to sit. I have more stamina. I can more easily get up and get myself something. I can lift my leg onto the bed, put on socks, put on pjs etc without help. This could be because the right leg doesn't hurt and last time I was probably getting fatigued from the left leg having to carry the load and it just couldn't do as much
  • sleep: probably slept better last surgery - no idea why. I feel more tired this time overall however.
  • the numbers: my flex is better with this one at least so far. I'm already at the number the PT wants me to be at 2 weeks post-op. I can also do the lying down heel slides without discomfort and those KILLED me last time. I think extension is similar to last time and fine.
  • walking: feels weird - I just don't remember how it felt last time. Pre-surgery I could NOT bend the left leg when I walked or it was very painful so I walked with a stiff, straight leg. I'm having to remind myself it's ok not to do that and I'm trying to work on the gait a bit.
  • I can sit in my kitchen chair for longer - last time it took many weeks. Perhaps this is due to less bruising from the tourniquet?
  • I'm wearing a thigh-high compression hose this time - I swear they didn't tell me to do it last time. Maybe that is helping with keeping the swelling down and giving me a bit better bend than the last surgery?
I'm not about to go to a cane but I feel less reliant on the walker to hold me up. I'm using it more to make sure I don't fall. My RIGHT leg gave out on me last night - it will still sometimes randomly bend out to the side - doesn't hurt - but would cause me to fall I think if I didn't have the walker or a cane at least. Last time my shoulders killed me from the walker and just putting my weight on my arms - this time my legs are holding me up.

The surgeon has me on a tapered dose of pain meds and I'm trying to wait and not take them until I have to do so (the bottle says every 8 hours). I'd love to not need them at all. I also realize that once I'm off them and feeling good, I could probably drive. I don't want to over-do however...at least until I run out of M&M's ...haha!
 
You're doing really well!

I agree with staying on the walker for overall stability.
 
It sounds like you're doing great in this recovery! You're being very sensible, which helps tremendously. Also, you know what to expect, and that also, helps.

You and M&Ms. I pigged out on Hersey's dark kisses and mixed nuts. At least the nuts had fiber and protein!
 
You and M&Ms. I pigged out on Hersey's dark kisses and mixed nuts. At least the nuts had fiber and protein
I don't want to over-do however...at least until I run out of M&M's ...haha!

Hahaha, you two! My weakness was Lindor Truffles and Gummy Bears. Hubs used to toss them at me, like he was throwing a dog a treat as a reward...you know...if I performed well. Did my exercises, made it to the bathroom and back, got my own meds, took a shower etc. :heehee:

Good to read you like your PT and he's pleased with your progress. Yay for teamwork!

sleep: probably slept better last surgery - no idea why. I feel more tired this time overall however.
Don't lose sight of the fact that your body endured two major surgeries in only 8 months time. That's a lot of healing and it takes energy.

Overall, I'd say you're doing really well! Your sense of humor is intact also. Certainly helps when we're feeling old and pathetic early on. Guess I should speak for myself. :wink:
Hope you have a nice weekend, selketine!
@selketine
 
Well something has happened to my knee and I'm not sure what to do. I've never had pain putting weight on it/walking until yesterday. It was more and more painful as the day went on yesterday and last night getting up there was a big "pop" and wow boy was it painful.

The pain comes when putting weight on it for sure. It also hurts if I twist my foot to the right when I am sitting. I'd said the pain goes more along the outside of the (left) knee down the shin. I'm bad about describing it. Getting up and walking is massively painful. Sitting if I'm still is ok but painful when I move.

With my HMO if I call them, they're going to say go to their urgent care. This usually means hours of sitting around - I don't know how I could tolerate that - plus the getting to the car and getting there. I can barely get to the restroom. They'd probably x-ray it and say wait for the surgeon tomorrow to follow up. I'm tempted to wait until tomorrow and message the surgeon directly.

Any thoughts on what happened to it? Not a broken bone (I didn't fall or anything).
 
So sorry. Don't really know what to advise for the best. Don't these things always happen at weekends? I can understand why you can't face a trip to urgent care. I guess if you don't remember any acute injury and it's not massively swelling up/ hot/ excruciating I might be tempted, like you, to wait and speak to my surgeon tomorrow. Good luck- though I think if it gets any worse you might have to brave the emergency room.
If it's anything like the UK, I would definitely advise taking snacks/ drinks/ reading material/ cash for parking or vending machines in case the card machines aren't working....
Good luck and keep us posted.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom