Guest viewing is limited

TKR Thank Goodness I Only have Two Knees!

If your dentist found nothing wrong with your tooth, and you have no infection, then it's probably nothing to worry about. I had a tooth pulled 2 weeks before my TKR, notifying my OS about it. He said as long as it's sealed up and not showing signs of an infection, then it'll be fine. The day I went in for the TKR, he asked about the extraction site, and I had completely forgotten I'd even had it pulled. My surgery went on as planned!
 
Sending along positive thoughts that there is no issue with that tooth and you can proceed with your surgery as scheduled.

Wasn't sure where to post this.
Feel free to continue to post in this thread until your upcoming surgery. Once you've had your second TKR, you can start a new recovery thread if you'd like -- that's up to you.

And, keep in mind that we can change your thread title at any time. Just let us know!
 
If your dentist found nothing wrong with your tooth, and you have no infection, then it's probably nothing to worry about.
I sure hope so! It only hurts when I have some fairly hot - like hot coffee. It's still summer and hot here so I haven't been having too much hot stuff. The dentist could see anything on the x-rays so we're just going by how it feels. I'm guessing it needs a root canal and it's very early. Considering I had a root canal about 5 days before my last TKR I feel like having one 8 days before is really doing well...haha!
Once you've had your second TKR, you can start a new recovery thread if you'd like -- that's up to you.
I'll probably just keep this one but ask to change the title once it is done - thanks! At this point I don't take for granted that it will happen as scheduled. Like last time, I feel like I'm running through a minefield before surgery trying to get to the finish line.
 
Best Wishes tomorrow. I'm guessing you'll do great!
Thanks for sharing your journey with us and for all of the support you offer others. It is appreciated.
Will be watching for you on the bright side! :SUNsmile:
@selketine

Happy Eight Month Anniversary, Righty!
 
@Layla and @benne68 as you know, the day before surgery is not exactly fun! I got the call that surgery is scheduled for 2pm and they want me to come at 10am and repeat the potassium test...again. The normal of the high range is 5.2 and mine was 5.4 on Aug. 30th. The repeat test last Weds. on Sept. 4th it was 4.7. I take a bp med which can make people have higher potassium levels - or maybe being dehydrated a bit affected the August test. I don't know what they'd do if it was over the limit. From reading about it - they don't like to do elective surgeries over a certain level. I seem to have a history of up and down levels (even before I was taking the bp med). Fortunately my levels were never super high.

I keep telling myself it will be FINE if the surgery got postponed for whatever reason - and especially one I have no control over! It's just adding another uncertainty to the mix I don't like. I certainly wouldn't want them to proceed if they weren't confident it's not a problem.

I went to Target just for a couple of groceries & just to get out of the house - and I thought I wouldn't make it back to the car the pain is so bad. If the surgery doesn't happen, I don't know how I'd keep working - but that's a problem for another day!

Hopefully my biggest problem tomorrow is deciding whether to keep my post-op recovery thread for the the left knee here or make a new thread - :heehee:
 
Hope your op goes ahead tomorrow as planned. Wishing you an uneventful surgery and a smooth recovery
 
I am sorry you have to deal with this. There's enough anxiety the evening before surgery, its unfortunate you have the extra stress of wondering IF the surgery will take place tomorrow especially when you're dealing with such pain. :console2:I hope the test result is in your favor and you're on the road to recovery late tomorrow afternoon.
We'll be thinking of you and watching for your first update. Big Hugs!
@selketine
 
I made it! Surgery went fine I'm told- had the same surgeon as last time and was back home around 7:30pm.

Good grief though I don't think the nerve block worked this time and I needed stronger meds in recovery. Those wore off after I got home and I was taking the oxy as prescribed (a single 5mg every 6 hours which is not much). The pain was awful and I took another one, waited about an hour and was still terrible - so I called the advice nurse and doctor on call and they did nothing to help me - and my instructions were to call if the pain management wasn't working. I slept maybe 2 hours.

I've got an email in to my surgeon this morning. I really dislike the ability to get pain control when I need it. Honest to goodness the nurse said if it didn't better to take a 30 min drive to urgent care at 1:00am and have them see me. Seriously?

Overall a good day in surgery and at least I'm home.
 
Hi Carol!
It's so nice to see your post, but I'm so sorry you're off to a rough start in regard to pain management. I certainly hope with the help of your surgeon's care team, you're able to rein that in to "manageable" today so you can remain comfortably mobile.

Since you're seasoned in this recovery biz :wink: I'll forgo an additional copy of the Recovery Guidelines that you have on the fist page of this thread.
Big hugs as you begin healing. I hope today is better than yesterday!
@selketine
 
Are you icing and elevating? I found that it helped to lower my pain. You can keep that ice on all the time, as long as your skin is protected with a cloth to prevent skin damage. I iced all night long and all the time I was sitting or laying down.
 
I was so relieved to read your surgery was a go - and crushed that they didn't provide adequate pain relief. Hoping your team responds better during office hours without a need to drag yourself out of the house.
 
Are you icing and elevating?
Oh yes - my recliner can go toes over nose so to speak and I have an adjustable bed which helps at night. I can't tell if the icing helps but it's warm here and it doesn't feel bad so it can't hurt to keep it going.
Hoping your team responds better during office hours without a need to drag yourself out of the house.
Finally, after emailing and talking to a couple of people who works with my surgeon, the surgeon himself called me and we spoke a bit about it. He increased the frequency of the Oxy but not the mg amount. He said give that a try for the rest of today and overnight and see how it works. If it's still bad, he will prescribe a bit of something stronger.

My knee wasn't feeling as bad when I got up, but now it is back to full-on pain mode. I've not been up except to the bathroom and to shuffle around a bit (we have a small house). I don't know why the pain would come and go with such intensity. I was hoping it would back off a bit. Overall I think the surgeon got back to me promptly as he had other surgeries this morning.

Thanks @Layla and @Benay for the well wishes! I hope it'll turn a corner here soon.

The stability of the knee seems similar to the other one - maybe a bit more trouble straightening it. I haven't paid attention to the bend yet - haha! this knee had less bend than the other one before I had surgery on either - so it will be interesting to see if they will more equal now...down the road.
 
I'm sorry the pain is so bad this time, @selketine, and I hope the increased frequency of dosage helps get it under control for you. Since you've been through this recovery before, you know what to do.

Slow and steady. Sending hugs your way. :console2:
 
Oh, and let us know what you'd like for a new title if you are going to keep this second recovery in your original recovery thread. If so, the old one needs updating now that knee #2 is done! :wink:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom