TKR Thank Goodness I Only have Two Knees!

So, so sorry to hear this.

I'm not a doctor or nurse, but if you're not in pain that cannot be managed, then I would wait until you can see your surgeon. IMO, urgent care is not well equipped to deal with this.

Doesn't your surgical center/surgeon have an emergency call in number? If yes, then I would definitely call them and tell them you need an immediate consult (as in today) with your surgeon or at a minimum the on-call surgeon.
 
I suggest you call OS. As JDinCT said, there are services available on the weekends. Explain to them that you can NOT sit and wait anywhere, that you need an appointment with your OS as soon as possible.

Please know that we are praying for you.
 
I am so sorry, selketine, but with the level of pain you described, I agree with those above...please at least call your surgeon's office and speak with whoever is on call and see what they advise.
Hugs and best wishes! :console2:
@selketine
 
My only comment about the ER is that sometimes it’s less busy in the morning and much busier as the day goes on…although of course that’s also unpredictable. A person with chest pain in an ambulance will always go first obviously. When I’ve faced this choice on a weekend, I’ve tried for early morning or otherwise waited until Monday unless it’s a true emergency. Sorry this is happening! Hopefully it’s just one of the weird things that can happen and then resolve with this intense surgery.
 
Here's another voice encouraging you to contact the on call surgeon at your ortho practice via their recorded message's instructions - I have done so and it worked to get a direct phone call back.
 
@JDinCT @sistersinhim @Layla @mendogal The way Kaiser works is that I don't have any direct phone number to the surgeon's office. Even on a weekday it would be hard to call the Ortho dept. but I might get through. On the weekend or evenings you call the advice line and get an advice nurse. I'm pretty sure that person would tell me to ice/elevate (and also remind me oh this is a painful surgery:headbang:) and then say if I can't take the pain to go in to the Kaiser urgent care. Otherwise contact the surgeon tomorrow. The advice nurse can contact a doctor on call but rarely is that helpful. If I go in, I'm in the waiting room for hours with people who no doubt have the flu and covid. They'd probably x-ray my leg, tell me nothing is broken, and contact the surgeon tomorrow. I'm just very averse to being told to go to their urgent care because...if nothing else...I don't know how I'd mange to sit in a wheelchair with my leg down for so long (I don't know how I'd make it to the car either). I'm afraid of falling. No idea how I'd get down the step to get out the door.

I can send an email through the Kaiser system to my surgeon - who probably won't see it until tomorrow morning. I'm ok when I'm just sitting in the recliner - it's going to the bathroom is the problem cause I have to get up. I'm less than 20 feet from it.

Walking is very painful and the pain radiates down my shin. I have to be very careful about how I put pressure on the foot because if it is turned at all, it's massively painful. I don't feel like I need more pain meds for it - but some idea what is causing this pain and how to make it better so I can walk. Did I irritate or snap a tendon or ligament or something? There's no redness/hot on the skin and the swelling seems the same.

I appreciate the advice - I've gotten myself into a pickle that's for sure.
 
@JDinCT @sistersinhim @Layla @mendogal The way Kaiser works is that I don't have any direct phone number to the surgeon's office. Even on a weekday it would be hard to call the Ortho dept. but I might get through. On the weekend or evenings you call the advice line and get an advice nurse. I'm pretty sure that person would tell me to ice/elevate (and also remind me oh this is a painful surgery:headbang:) and then say if I can't take the pain to go in to the Kaiser urgent care. Otherwise contact the surgeon tomorrow. The advice nurse can contact a doctor on call but rarely is that helpful. If I go in, I'm in the waiting room for hours with people who no doubt have the flu and covid. They'd probably x-ray my leg, tell me nothing is broken, and contact the surgeon tomorrow. I'm just very averse to being told to go to their urgent care because...if nothing else...I don't know how I'd mange to sit in a wheelchair with my leg down for so long (I don't know how I'd make it to the car either). I'm afraid of falling. No idea how I'd get down the step to get out the door.

I can send an email through the Kaiser system to my surgeon - who probably won't see it until tomorrow morning. I'm ok when I'm just sitting in the recliner - it's going to the bathroom is the problem cause I have to get up. I'm less than 20 feet from it.

Walking is very painful and the pain radiates down my shin. I have to be very careful about how I put pressure on the foot because if it is turned at all, it's massively painful. I don't feel like I need more pain meds for it - but some idea what is causing this pain and how to make it better so I can walk. Did I irritate or snap a tendon or ligament or something? There's no redness/hot on the skin and the swelling seems the same.

I appreciate the advice - I've gotten myself into a pickle that's for sure.
That sounds absolutely awful. I hope you can get an answer very soon. Sending a hug.
 
I certainly don't like the Kaiser system. Does not appear to be very patient centric.

I'd call whatever numbers you have and send the e-mail.

I would NOT go to urgent care. LOTS of sick people there and you don't want to expose yourself to any incidental potential infections.

In the meantime, make yourself as comfortable as possible. It's easier said than done, but try not to let your mind wander to the worst-case scenario.

Stay as positive as possible.

Best of luck!
 
Oh criminy @selketine I totally forgot you're covered by Kaiser; sorry for that.
Yes, I was mostly a happy Kaiser patient but there are specific situations where it kinda sucks.
 
@selketine as we have no way of knowing if a tendon was damaged, I'd recommend maximal rest, icing, and elevation; minimal (like touch down only) weight bearing until it gets evaluated.
 
Believe me, I'm staying off it. I don't even want to drink water because I don't want to get up to go the restroom. Sitting is pretty much fine (or I'm ok in bed with the adjustable mattress). I've emailed the surgeon so his office will likely see it first tomorrow and I'll see what he says.

I have this feeling he will say rest it and if it is still that bad on Thursday when I see him to get my staples out, he will take a look at it.:oyvey:
 
the pain radiates down my shin.
Does it have an electric quality and radiate out to your toes?

I had that and it was caused by an impinged peroneal nerve. Where the peroneal nerve passes near to the head of the fibula on the outside of your knee it can easily get compressed by swelling after knee replacement, according to my surgeon’s office.
 
I have this feeling he will say rest it and if it is still that bad on Thursday when I see him to get my staples out, he will take a look at it.
If you explain the intensity of the pain and mention that you're skimping on fluids in an effort to avoid painful trips to the bathroom...hopefully he'll see you tomorrow.
 
The PT came this morning and looked at it (no exercises) and I spoke with the doctor. It is slowly improving - enough that today I feel more confident about making it to the bathroom. Overall somewhat less pain with walking I just have to be careful. There's no additional/new swelling or bruising and it would be a hard trip for me to get to the Kaiser office where my doctor is. The surgeon thinks something got stretched and aggravated. I think I agree that I'd rather continue the wait and see at this point. When I'm there Thursday they'll do x-rays and I have an appt. with him so he will be the one looking at it. If it's not still trending to the positive, he may do more imaging if needed. If it gets worse before Thursday I'm supposed to contact him. When I'm just sitting in the recliner or in bed, there's no additional pain unless I move my knee the "wrong way" so I'm keeping it fairly still.

No idea what brought this on. It was just slowly getting worse all day Saturday. The PT was here Friday but we didn't do anything we hadn't done before or more of them - they were all fairly benign I thought but maybe I aggravated something. I was excited my bend was pretty good and he measured it at 92 which is stellar for me this early on compared to the other knee. I didn't push on it and he didn't touch my knee, but who knows. There was definitely a big pop in the knee Saturday night so something got caught.

Thanks so much for all of your support - it really did carry me through the weekend.

Does it have an electric quality and radiate out to your toes?
This is an interesting thought - I wondered if it could be a nerve thing?
 
Back
Top Bottom