TKR Thank Goodness I Only have Two Knees!

Slow and steady, @selketine! The inside the leg pain and the fatigue are normal at this early stage of recovery; other than that, it sounds like you are doing well. Don't push to go back to work before you are ready -- and, while I know you started back at 8 weeks with Righty, remember that every knee is different!

You are a trooper! Keep us posted.
 
Don't push to go back to work before you are ready
I think I may go in and say "hello" this coming Friday and try driving - bring my husband along. See how that goes and maybe go in for a few hours a couple of times the following week. and go from there. I'm kinda bored at home...haha! It's the devil or the deep blue sea as usual.

I'm thinking about signing up for those Tues/Thur group PT classes as I get farther along - so I might plan a work schedule around those.

I have a trip planned for next month before Thanksgiving to see my son in Orlando. I'm starting to lean towards keeping it because I won't see him for Thanksgiving or Christmas. It's a short trip and I"m lucky he can get me a hotel room on the cheap at Disney - and I have an annual pass so that's paid for. Honestly it is travel and planning trips that has kept me motivated all these years - and hopefully Japan in May 2025!
 
Honestly it is travel and planning trips that has kept me motivated all these years - and hopefully Japan in May 2025!
Yes! True for me as well. You won't believe this -- we are planning a trip to Japan next spring too! Maybe we'll meet at Mt. Fuji! :wink:
 
You're lucky to have the flexibility it seems you have with work. Easing back in is ideal, when possible.
Your plan to visit your son sounds like a good one, I hope you're able to make it happen. Assuming that may include a little time wandering around Disney World...fun, fun! :yahoo:
Happy Sunday, selketine!
@selketine
 
we are planning a trip to Japan next spring too!
No way! Right now I'm looking at May. I'm going with one of my sons (not the one who lives in Orlando) and he would rather go in March but I think I'm going to need the time to build up my walking ability. I've read that walking 20,000+ steps a day is normal for tourists in Tokyo. Trying to decide when to buy the plane ticket is tough. If May falls through, we will go in the early Fall.

I will probably be spending more time at Tokyo Disney than you - haha! I hope to spend the first of the trip at Tokyo Disney (assuming it's more tourist friendly, kind of contained environment plus the thing I'm most excited to see), then move over to Tokyo proper. We will have to discuss hotels because I'm all over the place on where to stay in Tokyo.
 
Assuming that may include a little time wandering around Disney World...fun, fun!
Oh yes...I'm a huge Disney nerd. I go often enough that it's a fairly relaxing place for me. Most people are excited to show up early and rope drop the rides - I like to rope drop Starbucks inside the park, get a coffee and a breakfast sandwich, and sit and watch people go buy running to the rides - haha! I love the roller coasters - which are oddly some of the easier rides to do with bad knees! I am hoping for the day I can go and not have to rent an ECV scooter - probably will still need one next month if I go.
 
Here I am - 7.5 weeks out. I've been going back to work a few hours a week the past couple of weeks, and will be working a bit more - building up to going back full time by the end of the month. Most of my "right in the knee" type pain is gone but my knee area still aches at night. Not sure if it is getting stiff being in bed not moving or what. My sleep is awful without Tylenol PM (taking 1 a night) - but it was awful pre-surgery. I had a follow-up yesterday with orthopedics (a physician's assistant not the surgeon) and she was overall happy. She prescribed Nabumetone when I told her about the knee ache. She said it wouldn't bother my stomach as much as meloxicam - but I'm guessing it is stronger than Advil? Advil can also give me problems. Not sure if I'll take it.

My ROM and extension seem fine to me - ROM is slightly less now than my January knee but I'd expect that. I'm up to walking about 3k a day for most days but it varies. I try to walk every day doing that 3k on two walks of 1k each plus the other 1k coming from all other walking I do in the house or whatever. I'm hoping to slowly build up 1k a month or so. I'll have to see how it goes before I can pick up the pace on that!

I'm heading to see my son in Orlando in a couple of weeks and will be at Disney. I'm planning on renting an ECV again since I know I can't do everything without it, but I'll be able to walk more! Not sure I'm ready to try a moving walkway or get in and out of some of those rides (but not going there for the rides so it doesn't matter).

@benne68 Japan is still in the works ... perhaps with a twist ... I planned to do the trip with my older son and it could be that he ends up moving to Japan long-term for work early next year. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that! Pretty excited for him since I know he'd love to do it but it would be weird with both kids living nowhere near us. However both would live in some great vacation spots - haha! If that happens I guess my Japan trip would be a lot different. Maybe I could split up my plans into two separate trips - giving me more time to get these knees working!
 
You are coming along really well, @selketine, and I'm sure your knees will be ready for a trip -- whenever it comes. How exciting that your son might be living in Japan and be able to give you a tour as a local!

Sorry about the sleep issues; I hope that improves with time for you. Something that helped when knee pain awakened me during the night: I would get out of bed and walk back and forth in the hallway for a few minutes to get rid of the stiffness. Although it didn't always works, many nights, I was able to settle down and sleep when I went back to bed. Might be worth a try?
 
I agree that the stiffness is related to the lack of movement in bed overnight, and that therefore a short walk is helpful.
That aspect of interrupted sleep should start to fade over the next few months.
 
I'm sorry to hear about the sleep problems still and the Reflux, but I am glad your range is still improving. I know I had a lot of weird aches/pains after my first TKR in 2019. I suspected it had to do with how weird I had been walking before the surgery but never had any confirmation. I still had loads of scar tissue from prior surgeries that my TR surgeon simply left alone (except in one area), so he said I'd still deal with some of the limitations related to that. It's simply amazing how many mysteries surround a TKR recovery. I find it shocking how no 2 people have the same recovery---whether it be complications, improvements, weird aches/pains, sleeping quality, etc.

I hope you keep seeing the improvements though. Hang in there!!!

I also meant to tell you that I saw your comment on MY post-op thread, and thanks for sharing about the cane. It reminds me that there are MANY of us not walking perfectly and back to normal at this point, and I'm not alone. I think that's the reminder I keep seeking everyday---that I'm not alone at this point in recovery, and SO MANY are struggling with certain things. I don't wish it on anyone though.
 
Last edited:
Happy Two Month Anniversary, selketine!
Have fun in Orlando with your son this month and at Disney too!
Safe travels!
@selketine
 
Long time since I've posted! I have a question about ongoing weakness with my right leg - which was my first TKR in Jan. 2024. That whole leg feels "weak" for lack of a better word. Sometimes the right knee feels like it wobbles or gives out or "slips out" and I've had that issue since about a week after the surgery - tho it happens less now. However weakness goes from the HIP down (I think). Zero issues with the left side which had TKR in Sept. 2024. Neither knee has any pain.

I can't believe it is muscles after all this time. I would think both legs would be the same muscle-wise. This is weakness with just everyday puttering around - much less walking far. I literally have to focus attention on that leg while walking so that I don't wobble/stumble, etc. (in my head I go "leg...leg..leg" when I walk outside the house, ugh).

Could it be the hip - like hip arthritis? I've had some intermittent hip pain (ice pick stabbing pain) on that side with certain movements but it depends on moving it a certain way. It doesn't otherwise hurt usually.

I have an appointment with the ortho that did my knees at this earliest time which is the end of August but any opinions on this?
 
Hi selketine,
Nice to hear from you! Sorry for your ongoing concern.
Wondering if you ever mentioned the sensation that your knee may give out at any of your post op appointments? If so, what was your OS's opinion?

It's good you have an appointment scheduled, but unfortunate you're unable to get in sooner. Since you mentioned your hip, noting the weakness begins in the hip and radiates down your leg, possibly there is hip arthritis. Low back issues can also cause weakness in the leg. Some follow up x-rays and an evaluation of your knee will hopefully reveal any issue that needs to be addressed.

Wondering if you expressed any urgency when scheduling? If not, consider calling back and telling them about the "slipping out" sensation, mentioning these symptoms have persisted since surgery. You can also mention that you feel the weakness may be coming from your hip and that you sometimes experience a sharp (ice pick type) stabbing pain. I'd express a concern of falling because of the instability. It may be worth a try to get an earlier appointment. I wish you the best.

Please let us know how your appointment goes. Until next time, take care.
@selketine
 
We've made some changes since you were last here. We're encouraging members to take their experience here to the next level. We appreciate and value your support as part of this community. For an enhanced experience here, we'd like to encourage you to join the Insiders Club which allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer.

As a Basic BoneSmart Member, which you currently are, you have access to core features of the forum, but some areas and functions are reserved for upgraded memberships. For an enriched experience including the ability to start your own threads and engage in discussions with members and staff about your specific concerns we invite you to join the Insiders Club. Upgrading not only unlocks full access to all forum features, but also provides valuable services like assistance with locating a surgeon, helpful downloads, and entry to the BoneSmart Library filled with videos and in depth articles to support you on your joint replacement journey. If interested, we'd love to have you join us!

Here is a link to check out -> Become an Insider
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom