THR Thank God, I've made it to the other side!<

@Jesus fan So sorry to hear about your relentless back pain and hope it's going to be but a memory soon, a bad one. I have one other pillow trick for you to try that I've been using during the dreaded back sleeping.

For me, like many here, the under the knee pillows are essential --but I also felt that I needed just a bit of support in the small of the back as well. So I found a few small flattish pillows, about one inch or so thick only, decorative pillows but still soft, and I slid them under the small of the back once I was in sleeping position with my 47 other pillows in place!

It's really a combination effect. I use large pillows behind back / head to prop up, nearly sit up from waist up. One for neck support goes in there also, two under the knees, left surgery side knee pillow is lower. Right nasty arthritic soon to be surgery side gets a thicker memory foam pillow. Then I slide the small flat one, or sometimes two, under the back. I find it has to be perfectly placed to work. Right where the back curves and craves support. Before doing this I kept putting my arm back there instinctively for support... and ending up with it falling asleep - pins and needles! Hope you have a soft small flat pillow you can try. If not even a few tshirts rolled up might do.
 
I'm so sorry you're struggling with the back pain. I wonder if a chiropractor would be able to help you in the near future? It must feel as though it's spoiling your recovery. I wish you comfort and pray it eases.

To answer your question - My ROM is not what I hoped for, but it's not bad. I can live with it. The only pain (can't even call it pain) more of a sensation, or reminder I experienced THR, is a feeling in the middle of the back of my thigh once in a while. I explained it to my OS at my one year check up and he said he wasn't concerned. I also wonder at times if I have a little nerve damage, or nerves could still be healing. I get a weird light feather like sensation in the area of my ankle, moving upward about six inches. It's only on occasion. OS wasn't concerned about that either nor the fact that my ankle can swell with over activity. It swells so slightly that it is difficult to see but I can feel it. While I struggled through a pedicure at One Month post op, nail trimming and polish, it wasn't easy. It has gotten easier but due to my ROM it's far from pre arthritis easy. Losing that pain was everything! While I'm not 100% and may never be, I'll take it! It's better than what I'd become pre-op. Long answer....sorry.

I wish you weren't suffering pain but you do need to consider you're very early into recovery. They say full recovery takes up to a year. I've also heard it can take up to 2- 2 1/2 yrs so there's hope for both of us.
Hang in there, hopefully each week has you feeling stronger! Get out more also, when you're able. You may have to force yourself at times, but I'll bet when you do, you'll be happy that you did. Activity serves as a distraction from pain most often.
Hugs
@Jesus fan
 
@Layla I went to the chiropractor for about 12 years (on and off) and he almost killed me, he said my hips were out of alignment and would force them back in place, it was horrible pain, it would literally take my breath. Turns out I needed a hip replacement and he didn't even know it because he had me bring my xray with me and never bothered to take new ones in the whole 12 years! He was probably doing damage instead of helping me. So i'm scared of a chiropractor after I've had the THR.
The things you have explained to me that your feeling are things my physical therapist said will take time to heal, usually a year but yours may be taking a little longer, I wouldn't give up hope yet! Sounds like you have a good mind set on things, I wish I could be more like that. Seems like when I have a good day, look out the next one will be bad lol.
I hope all of your ROM comes back but like you said that is better than living with the pain.
How did you shave your legs after surgery? Im having a problem with that, the hairs are soon going to be long enough to braid! lol. I'm joking, its not that bad-yet! (hugs)
 
@1stSurgery Thanks for the advise, I will try that.
Sounds like you have all the pillows down to a science lol. What ever works to relieve pain and get rest , i'm all for it! Have a good day!
 
Hi @Jesus fan
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hopefully there's still room for improvement.

I'm so sorry about your back. I don't know what the answer is to bring you relief. I don't blame you for fearing chiropractic after what you've experienced.

As far as shaving goes - I began using a woman's electric razor because I don't have heavy hair growth on my legs. It works well for me. I began using it as my flexibility and ROM deteriorated pre-op. I continued to do so post op also. It worked for pe-op as well as post-op to sit on my sofa, or a kitchen chair and place the foot of the leg I was shaving on one of those small collapsible foot stools. Or the coffee table works well also.

Then there is the Giraffe Razor that many use, which if you choose, can be ordered through Amazon.
If you order through Amazon, first check out the link at the bottom of my post in regard to smile.Amazon.com

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/

Hope either of the ideas help. Being able to groom in the way we desire helps in lifting our mood.
Wishing you a great rest of the day!
 
Hi @Jesus fan .....I'm doing well thank you. It certainly seems to be true about no 2 THRs being the same....I'm having so little pain now that I keep wondering what the catch is! Consequently I'm also having to watch how much I do.....think I've almost ODI again today, should know better! Good to be home, but tempting to do 'just one more thing' :umm: Hope you can get that back pain sorted.....wish I could suggest something useful.....can only think of warm wheat bags and/or ice packs?
 
Just stopping by to say :hi: I hope you're doing well.
Maybe another weekend car ride? Another ice cream? A different flavor? :heehee:
Hope whatever you do you're comfortable.
Hugs to you.
@Jesus fan
 
I know you all are probably sick of my complaining but I have another issue... before now I had very little swelling in the hip area and the pain was not bad (back pain was my major problem) but for the last couple days my hip is swollen out of shape and i'm hurting in the hip joint area, never done that before. The Physical therapist said I may have aggravated it and has put me on rest, ice and ibuprofen for the next two days.
I'm now four weeks past surgery, is it normal to be having these issues when I didn't before???
 
@Layla I've had a little set back, I guess the most I will do is take a shower lol. How are you doing today?
 
How often are you icing and elevating? Are you taking pain medication around the clock as prescribed?
 
Hi again,
I'm doing well. Thank you!
We're not tired of you complaining. We're here to offer support, encouragement and give you some ideas.
We care.

Wondering what exercises you're doing in physical therapy? Do you think it's a possibility PT brought this on?
Please consider separating yourself from PT, at least while you're hurting and suffering a set-back.
Ice the areas that hurt as often as you can tolerate. I iced any / everytime I was sitting or lying down.
It really helps with both pain and swelling. Ice Cream might help also :wink:

Happy One Month Anniversary! Can you believe it? Time flies.
@Jesus fan
 
Last edited:
@Layla I'm doing very easy and mild exercises in PT. The swelling and pain started on a day that I didn't have PT. I've been icing and elevating a lot but not taking pain meds around the clock, I only take when the pain is really bad.
Yes the month has went by fast but im still not doing as well as I had hoped for. I'm scared that the hip has dislocated or some thing but PT said if it had that I would not be able to walk on it. Seems like im going back instead of forward in my recovery.
 
Hi again,
Let's ask @Josephine to look at your thread and see if she can offer some advice.
I've tagged her for you. She resides in the U.K. so there is a time difference. In addition she has others she needs to check in with also. Please check back periodically in case she has questions.
Sorry you feel you're moving in the wrong direction. Hope you find relief soon.
Hugs
 
The swelling and pain started on a day that I didn't have PT
It doesn't work like that! Swelling and pain invariably start between 1 and 3 days after doing something.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom