THR Thank God, I've made it to the other side!<

Hi Jesus fan.
As you begin to regain your strength and flexibility in your hip joint, you should be able to eventually return to full daily activity which can include situps.
The timeframe of your healing and strengthening process may differ from that of another patient --

This was in my PTs information... The Vanderbilt Medical Center suggests that patients can return to full activity roughly 12 weeks after the procedure.

Can, doesn't mean you should. I err on the side of caution and there are probably some safer core exercises.
Just my opinion.
 
Last edited:
Yikes, sweetie, I don't know that I'd attempt sit ups quite yet.
I'm happy to read you're doing so much better.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend!
@Jesus fan
 
Is it safe/ok to do sit ups 10 weeks after THR?
Absolutely not! It's a jolly good way to start getting aches and pains - BAD aches and pains!

Remember this:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Well I'm not an exercise trainer so can't answer that question in detail. But I can say that you should wait until at least 4 months out before you try anything.
 
If you are new to doing core exercises, I would start with just learning how to activate your abdominals (and keep your new hip out of it). Try lying down and bracing your core by imagining pulling your belly button toward your spine. You can do it seated in a chair too. Hold it for as long as it is comfortable and repeat several times during the day. And sit ups (the old fashioned ones we learned in grade school) are not a very good exercise anyway, so I would avoid them all together.
 
I think most ab or core exercises involve hip flexion. In addition to Jo's advice on waiting,
you may want to talk to your OS about what he feels you can safely handle.
Glad to see you're feeling better and stronger these days.
May it only get better!
@Jesus fan
 
Is it normal to still be really sore 12 weeks after THR?
 
:wave:
Really sore?:chinstroke:That's sort of subjective.
Really sore where?
If you have been back to doing more and more...then yes, really sore can fit the bill.
Where are you hurting and what activity level are you back to @Jesus fan ?
We can tag Josephine if you would like.
There is still alot of healing happening and lots of improvement to be had.
Make sure you have good new shoes with no old wear pattern and those years of bad gait and posture can cause their own set of aches and pains as you correct them.
 
Hi there :hi: Happy Monday to you!
Twelve weeks already...wow.
Sorry you're in pain. Will help to know the location and severity. I hope it's minimal.
Best wishes for a good week!
@Jesus fan
 
@Mojo333 Its really sore where the joint is but really the whole hip. It may be the bursitis, I don't know. Yes, I have been walking more lately. Yes, I got new shoes before I had my surgery and saved them for after THR. My activity level consists of cleaning house (deep cleaning) and I rest as needed. Ive also been canning a little, yes i'm a heavy duty home maker! lol. I'm agoraphobic so I don't get out too much, just on the days I feel "brave".
 
Thanks @Layla , im not hurting too much just sore and I thought that should be gone by now. I also have a "pulling" feeling (kinda uncomfortable/painful) when im sitting - some times. The feeling is in the joint area. Don't know if this is normal. I thought after 12 weeks I should be like a new person with no soreness or pain lol. How have you been doing???
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Not sure what the pulling sensation is you're experiencing on ocassion.
Wondering if you have another OS visit coming up? If not, you could always call and speak with a nurse I'm sure.
I'll bet through a series of questions they could offer you some reassurance.

I'm doing well, thanks for asking.

I hope you have a great week! Please consider updating once in awhile, we'd love to hear how you're doing.
@Jesus fan
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom