THR Thank God, I've made it to the other side!<

The OS told me that if I had a hip replacement it would take away my back pain (the part that hurt worse that all of it), he said that hip was causing back to hurt. Well now after surgery I tell him my back is hurting and he said it may never go away because its arthritis. I feel like there is no hope for me to be pain free. My back feels even weaker than it did before and still hurts soooo bad.
 
I'm sorry. Wishing you comfort and relief. :console2:
@Jesus fan
 
@Jesus fan Not quite three weeks for you post op. Still early days. You will start having more good days than bad very soon. Remember what Layla said about going from weekend to weekend to mark your progress. Thinking of you :SUNsmile:
@anny and I are getting our butterflies on about now!
 
@Jesus fan I missed your post about your back. I am so sorry. From what I'm reading, the back sleeping really makes the back hurt. I also have arthritis in my back. I've been practicing back sleeping a bit, as I really detest it, so want to try and figure out what is the most comfortable pre-op. I've purchased one of those elevation pillows. It isn't a straight wedge, it kind of has two waves. Anyhow, I use that plus a pillow on it and sleep with my legs elevated like that. It does flatten out my back and take the strain off. Maybe try one or two pillows under you knees, if you haven't already?
The one thing that has always helped me is doing core exercises. If you are seeing a physio, you could ask him/her to give you a gentle core exercise, and that may start to help the back pain. Don't over do it though!
Thinking of you and wishing you a comfortable night tonight/day tomorrow.
:flwrysmile:
 
I had no trouble with my back until I had to sleep on it! As it hurt my knees so much I've ended up sleeping so propped up on pillows that it's almost sitting up, and then my lower back creaks and aches especially when I first get up.But it does usually calm down once I'm up and moving about. No lying in bed for me sadly. When I wake I get up, which was 3.00 am sadly. But I can nap in the day.
 
Back sleeping miserable...those first months! :blackcloud:
Unfortunately I was up and down and unable to find a comfortable sleeping position for many months.
My recliner was my go to, though the pillow under the knees did help some.
I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it.:console2:
Often I would ice my hip with heating pad on lower back...:shrug:
Still early days...too early took know how things will be on a permanent basis.
Hang in there @Jesus fan
Praying all eases soon.:beg:
 
Thank you all so much for your posts. Yes, i'm hoping that the back pain will go away with time. This site is so wonderful, you are all so thoughtful and helpful, thank you!
 
@Alitm Yes you and anny don't have long to wait now! It will be over before you know it. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Hi,
Want to ask a question but don't expect an answer, so no worries.
Are you getting out at all? If not, please try to get out for a car ride at the very least.
Lunch or dinner would be a nice option also at a place where you could get dropped close to the door
if walking any distance causes you discomfort. It's important to get out and feel part of the world. Our pain is less noticeable with the distraction of noise, soft music, conversation, people watching. It's good to get away from home which becomes our sick bed for a time early into recovery. I found applying a little make-up and getting out in the world did wonders for my mood. It also spurs you on to get moving and living again when you watch others engaging in life. If you're already doing so....wonderful! If you're not, please get out and see if it helps with mood and the easing of pain for a time.
Sending love, hugs and wishes for a great day!

Check out the Activity Progression as a rough gauge of the activity you can most likely engage in at this point (3 weeks post op)
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
 
@Layla No, I have not gotten out but one time and that was for my dr appointment, which was a two hour ride one way. My husband tried to get me to go to the local restaurant to eat last Sunday but I didn't feel like I could do it. It feels like such a hassle to try to go any where, adds pain to the pain i'm already having but I know you are right, I need to get out. Thank you for your wishes, today has been some better.
 
Hi, it's me...the nag, again
I can't encourage you enough to try to get out.
It will provide a change of scenery.
It will kill some time in the mundane life of recovery.
It will be a diversion from all that ails you mental and physical. (Pain always feels less intense when we're distracted)
It will lift your spirits.
It will spur you on to want to jump back into life.
Try a late breakfast, early lunch, or dinner somewhere. Off hours, less busy. Less concern if you look okay.
Or....visit a friend or family member at there place.
I'll bet if you get out.....you'll be happy you did. Push yourself. Three weeks is getting to be a long time not getting out to smell the roses (aside from the doctor visit) Ok, I'll shut up now :heehee:
I just want you to be happy and feel better.
Big Hugs
@Jesus fan
 
@Layla You are not a nag, I appreciate any advice that will help me to feel better. I may try to get out this weekend. I've always been a home body so I guess it don't bother me like it does some people (i'm agoraphobic). But, I need to get out.
Your picture looks like a celebrity I've seen but I can't place her up, do you mind if I ask who it is?
 
I'm so sorry you suffer with agoraphobia. Hopefully you'll feel like getting out on the weekend.
Something low key, easy peasy, no pressure.
Photo is me with five girlfriends from childhood out having dinner together. I cropped them out, lol :heehee:
Hope your evening is peaceful and your week relaxing.
Hugs
@Jesus fan
 
@Jesus fan Maybe a restaurant is too big a deal for right now, maybe a short drive through a scenic area near you would be nice instead? Something YOU find easy and even slightly appealing! :yes: Baby steps. For me, when something seems SO overwhelming that I just don't want to deal with it, I think about doing just a part of it.... back off and try something smaller/less stressful. Maybe going for the ride to pick up take out, or go for an ice cream cone or the like...something where you don't even have to get out of the car :SUNsmile:

I can't imagine what agoraphobia feels like. Not an easy thing I'm sure. I am super claustrophobic...that is the only thing I can compare it to.
Thinking about you and sending peaceful healing thoughts :flwrysmile:
 
@Alitm Those are great ideas! I do feel like I can do those, especially the ice cream outing because I love ice cream lol. When my husband asked me to go out to eat and I didn't feel like I could it made me feel bad about myself, like I couldn't do things that other people can do or that i'm not progressing fast enough but the things u mentioned I do feel like I can do, thanks so much!
My Mother was claustrophobic, she couldn't even ride in the back seat of a car, so sorry u have to go through that. (Hugs).
 
@Jesus fan I do hope you try the ice cream!
I purchased this elevation pillow in Canada. There are two US versions available. I don't know if the Canadian site will ship to the US, and if that is a less expensive option as the US dollar is stronger, but I'll send you both the Canadian link and the two US links. I've been working on my back sleeping. I figure if I can find some semblance of comfort pre-surgery, that it might help me post surgery. At the moment I can do about half a night on my back with this Canadian elevation pillow, which is pretty amazing. Post surgery, I'll have to move to the recliner for the second half of the night I guess! There will be no side sleeping for a long time with bilateral! You'll have to cheer me up on that one! Have a look at these Amazon links.

Amazon product ASIN B07CZDFRZH
Amazon product ASIN B01N0GJANV
Amazon product ASIN B017DO67OS
 
Oh no, the links didn't come through. Maybe someone can help me figure that out so I can get them to you.
 
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For Ice Cream.
I think that's how it goes?
Pick a flavor. Let us know how it goes and what flavor you choose.
Hope today is a peaceful one for you @Jesus fan
Big hugs, we're here for you. :friends:
 
@Layla Your well wishes must have worked, I have felt the best today than I have since my surgery. I took a shower, washed dishes, folded and put away a few clothes, and even sat on the porch for a little while. I didn't have physical therapy today so the pain wasn't bad at all. Thank you so much for your posts, they always brighten my day and make me think that someone cares. I will let u know what flavor ice cream I get this weekend lol. Have a wonderful night!
 
Aww, you're sweet and very kind. I'm happy to hear you're feeling better today. It does seem like you all of a sudden turn a corner. It's bound to happen as you continue to heal and get stronger.

I kept track of my progress by weekends. Try not to give it a lot of thought during the week. Then on the weekends take a mental note of your physical progress, your mood too. I think you'll most likely notice a change doing it that way.

I think everything you did today helped also. Taking a shower makes you feel better as does contributing to the household through menial tasks. It makes things feel somewhat normal again. Sitting outside and taking in the sights and sounds of nature is healing also. As is soaking in some sunshine. Very encouraging. I'm happy you had a nice day!
Hope tomorrow is just as pleasant. :SUNsmile:
Big hugs!
@Jesus fan
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom