THR Thank God, I've made it to the other side!<

He doubled my ibuprofen and prescribed "Voltaren gel" to rub on the painful area. Does anyone know if this gel works well?
It doesn't! There is evidence that all these topical gels only penetrate into the skin about 2-3mm and certainly don't get anywhere deeper than that! Besides which, ibuprofen is a problem med as it as some bast side effects
Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

I had cancelled all PT and he told me that he wants me back on PT with lots of stretching exercises said it would help the bursitis to go away.
It will NOT! It will most likely make it worse! The best treatment is an injection of cortisone which I've had on a couple of occasions. But I don't suppose your surgeon is likely to go down that route!
 
@Jesus fan I'm so sorry you have been in so much pain. I looked at the exercises the PT was giving you and almost choked. You poor thing, no wonder you are in pain. I'm not sure when you were required to start those, but I'm just one week out and all I'm doing is walking to the bathroom and back, several times a day, going to get water, and icing and elevating the rest of the time.

Ice that bursa area. It is a natural pain killer. Take a week off from PT and you will start to see the difference, and hopefully that will give you the strength to say "no thank you" and stick to the walking. Going at the PT hard isn't going to make you heal faster, just the opposite.

I'm sorry I haven't been in touch for a bit, just a bit wrapped up in first week recovery myself!! I look back at where I was last week and it helps to see the difference!
Sending hugs and hope with the icing and taking it easy you will be feeling more comfortable soon :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Jesus fan .....yuk sorry about the bursitis....I had it in both hips a few years ago, and my physio told me to ice it, take pain killers if necessary and REST it until it had died down. Only then would she let me do exercises for it. I believe it's an overuse injury usually, so it makes sense to do the opposite to let it heal. Hope it's not too bad....disappointing after the op we hope will sort us out!
 
@anny How long did you have to let the bursitis rest before the swelling and pain left? Is bursitis some thing that will go away or will I have it for life?
 
Thinking of you this morning @Jesus fan
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort.
I hope this is a good week for you!
 
@Layla Thank you so much! I hope you have a good week also. (hugs) The OS told me that I could lay on my side with a pillow between my legs, I finally got brave and tried it and I rested so much better last night! I never was a back sleeper and it was such a relief to be able to lay on my side. Little things mean a lot...
 
How long did you have to let the bursitis rest before the swelling and pain left?
Oh that very much varies from person to person. Usually it'll be worse if people engage in too much activity. Even walking can make it worse sometimes.
Is bursitis some thing that will go away or will I have it for life?
It goes away.
 
The better sleeping will surely allow for faster healing, and better peace of mind....SO happy you have found what works for sleeping. I honestly believe that the icing, and time resting as directed by Josephine will help the bursitis get better and disapate. I totally overdid it on Saturday by trying to walk in the driveway for a very little time. It took icing most of yesterday, going back to week one walking level, and the same today. Sending lots of cyber healing hugs your way :flwrysmile:
 
@Jesus fan ......can't really remember how long it took to go away completely, I'm guessing at least 10 weeks, this is not a fast fix. After that I did general hip stretches (not very consistently!) and if I felt the slightest twinge I'd slap an ice pack on it after a walk. It behaved for a number of years, then I started with my ITB, which I find harder to shift, and the bursitis may have come back for another nibble, find it hard to distinguish between the two at the hip end. Maybe half the battle is knowing you have/had it, and just treating it anyway :unsure:
 
How long did everyone use a raised toilet seat after THR? Is the raised seat for comfort (easier to get up) or is it to help not break the bending rule?
 
I didn't have restrictions, per se, but could Not have gotten down that far and up without a riser.
 
How long did everyone use a raised toilet seat after THR? Is the raised seat for comfort (easier to get up) or is it to help not break the bending rule?

Different for each hip on this end. 6 weeks or so for the first one because of restrictions, and because of muscle soreness/irritation.
2nd hip was about 4 weeks, mainly just for comfort's sake. Didn't have restrictions this time, but I found that with our low toilets, front muscles (psoas, etc) weren't quite feeling up to extended bends like that.
 
:wave:@Jesus fan The raised toilet seat is so that you can follow the 90 degree restrictions for as long as your OS has said you have to do so.

For anterior patients, it just makes life easier and more comfortable if they choose to have the raised toilet seat, although they don't have that same 90 degree restriction rule as the rest of us!

I have the 90 degree restriction thing for six weeks, but am having my second hip done at eight weeks, so will keep the raised toilet seat until after my second surgery. I'll have to wait again until beyond the six week 90 degree restrictions. Once past that I will see how comfortable it will be for me to get off and on the lower seat! I'm all about comfortable as well as listening to my OS!! :heehee:
Hope you are having a comfortable weekend. How are you doing? :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Would love to read an update from you.
I hope all is going well with your recovery.
Wishing you a happy Sunday and a great week!
@Jesus fan
 
@Layla Thank you so much, im doing much better, thank God! I hope you are doing well!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom