THR Thank God, I've made it to the other side!<

@Jesus fan That is great that you had a good day! Yay!! That is helpful to know for me too, when things start looking up!
You mentioned "I didn't have physical therapy today so the pain wasn't bad at all". From what I'm gathering from this great site is, that PT shouldn't give us pain. If we go to PT we should ice and elevate afterwards, and take it really easy afterwards. Don't know if you have been following the threads about the ODIC (Over Done It Club). It seems that most folks rehabbing from THR end up in the ODIC at some time or another. It isn't a great place to be, and can really set you back. Just be really careful about the PT. One of the best exercises recommended here, and by more and more OS by the sounds of what I'm reading from post op folks, is to slowly build up the walking and the ROM just comes. I know everyone has their own way of doing things, but PT shouldn't be painful! Please take care with that, particularly since you've had a better day today :SUNsmile:

:flwrysmile:
 
:yes!: @Jesus fan
Things will keep getting better.
I know I was just oh so tentative trying to decide if this pain was temporary recovery, pain that will be residual, new pain caused by surgery...??
I finally relaxed and did what I could to start comfortable and mobile without overdoing it...just early days after Big Surgery!
One by one...the bad ones were replaced by temporary little niggles..
Super happy to have my life back now.
You will be too.
 
Sept 6th: Today has been one of the really good days, I tripled the distance on my can to that I did Monday, I think im going to be off the walker soon. I was able to dust the furniture in my bedroom today, picked up around the house. The hubby was talking about how much better I can walk and how i'm getting my ROM back really well. Done PT today and that went well also, she said i'm ahead of the game in progress. Things are looking up, Thank you Lord!
 
How wonderful, I think you've hit a turning point. God is faithful!
I think the more mobile you become and the more you're able to engage in your "normal"
the better you'll feel. Being a patient gets old quickly. But pain, fatigue and low moods make it difficult to engage in those early days. May it continue to get better.
Hugs to you :friends:
@Jesus fan
 
Look at that hippy go...now don't go overdoing with your new-found upturn ...
I couldn't dust the furniture for months (I lie, I could - but shhhhh!):heehee:

Glad to hear you are doing well!:angel:
 
Last edited:
@Layla Yes you are right, it is helping me so much to get back to my normal activities. It helps me from "feeling sorry for myself" if I can stay busy lol. I think I will be graduating from a walker to a cane really soon, the PT thinks so too. (hugs)
 
@Mojo333 Your post cracked me up hahaha. I would try pretending I couldn't dust for a few months too but the trouble is, it wouldn't get done lol.
 
Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of the "golfer's bend"? You put the leg on the bad side straight out behind you when you bend and it keeps from doing the not allowed 90 degree bend. I have been able to pick things up that are fairly low to the ground this way and its really been helpful, just thought I would share so that it may help someone else.
 
It's been mentioned on the forum many times but is a good reminder for new folks, Jesus fan.:ok:
The golfers reach certainly is helpful...just make sure you are holding on to something so you don't topple forward.
Hope you have a good day!:tada:
 
Glad to hear your positivity there! Getting to see friends and varying my day stopped me feeling too sorry for myself. Best of luck with your continuing recovery x
 
@Jesus fan ....I'll second the suggestion about the wedge in bed....and multiple pillows. My back got very stiff and painful from the back sleeping (my surgeon made me do it for 12 weeks :boohoo: he's a bit of a sadist) ....it took me a while to come up with the perfect combination (wedge with pillow for head, pillows under knees and firm cushion under lower leg so that my heels hung over, as I got very sore from the pressure) but it did make a lot of difference once I'd sussed it. Also think back muscles tend to go on strike with the enforced rest, so perhaps once they've returned to work they'll do their bit in supporting the spine again. Hope things are getting better for you, and icecream sounds like a very good idea, particularly if you have all the added options with it :roseshwr:
 
Is it ice cream day? :happydance:
Pick a flavor, any flavor and tell us all about it.
We'll be here.
Hope your day is happy, sunny and bright :yes: :SUNsmile:
Hugs :friends:
@Jesus fan
 
Hi @Layla Yes, I went and got ice cream Saturday, didn't get out of the car but it felt so nice to get out of the house and I was surprised at how well I went up and down the stairs at my house! I just got a vanilla cone, was feeling "plain" lol. I'm now able to do most all house work-slowly. Things are getting better, thanks so much for your support! I hope you are having a wonderful day!
 
@anny The Dr. gave me the go ahead to sleep on either side with a pillow between my legs but I can't bring myself to be that brave yet! I've been putting pillows under my knees while on my back from day one and it does help a lot. I'm hoping all the back sleeping is what is causing my back pain and that it will get better later on.
Tomorrow is the big day for you! On a scale from 1-10, how nervous are you? I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
 
So happy you got out and enjoyed the break from routine and the ice cream, even if it was only Vanilla.
Getting out helps my mood immensely if I'm feeling down.
I think engaging at home helps also. Getting back to our routine helps us feel less in patient mode.
Just move slowly and carefully...always.

I'm having a nice day so far. Thanks for the well wishes. It's a pretty sunny day in my part of the world. I'm about to go weed through my "too many pairs" of shoes and take some off to the Goodwill.
Believe it or not, at almost 15 months post op and I still haven't done this. Some feel a bit too high nowadays and I don't care to be teetering with my new hip just for the sake of vanity.
I think my THR made me more practical minded :wink: Well, just a smidge :heehee:
Enjoy your day! :SUNsmile:
@Jesus fan
 
On a scale from 1-10, how nervous are you?

22 :bawl:

my surgeon made me wait 12 weeks to come off my back and I was sooo desperate to go on my side....however, when I got the go-ahead I got really nervous and it took me another 2 weeks to try it, wondered if I was stuck on my back forever like a stranded beetle! Just did a few minutes a night, experimenting for best position, then all of a sudden I was away.....it will happen @Jesus fan, it's just a little scary to try at first :)
 
@anny I was really nervous the night before surgery too, they told me to take anxiety meds and I didn't because I was afraid it would keep me from being able to have the surgery, then when I got to the hospital they brought me some water and made me take them. It may help you to take some thing for anxiety.
The good thing is that you've been through it before so u know what to expect. Praying for you and keep us posted in the days to come!
 
@Layla Just curious... at 15 months post op, is there any thing you still can't do or do u still have pain? I just can't shake this back pain, I think at times it may be worse and feel weaker than it did before my surgery. I had a good day but this evening I can't hardly walk because the pain is so bad, my hip and incision is doing good, its just the back. I've taken pain med and used ice and i'm resting so I can't really do much more. I hear about people getting this instant relief and suddenly become like a new person after hip replacement, i'm yet to feel that!
I don't blame u for taking this long to go through your shoes, none of us girls likes to get rid of shoes lol.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom