THR Thank God, I've made it to the other side!<

Hi,
I think it has more to do with your comfort level, physically and mentally, as opposed to a timeline.
I feared it for some reason, it felt like I shouldn't, so therefore I didn't try to. I was also afraid it would hurt, so didn't want to attempt it. I was a couple months post op before I tried it and gradually eased into it. You may fall asleep that way and change position during the night. What about trying your non op side for now? Use a regular bed pillow in between your legs. I use a Body Pillow that I got used to in Recovery and still use each night. I run it the entire length between my legs from knees to feet. Super comfy!
Hope you're having a good day!
@Jesus fan
 
Again, everyone is different. I can lay (lie) on my op side for about 10 mins. Sleep, no way. I can sleep longer on nonnop side, but can't sleep in the bed in any way- back, op or non op. I found couch most comfortable as it kept me from rolling on my side. What restrictions did your dr give you???
 
Can't really remember from my first surgery, but this time around I was able to sleep on non-op side maybe 2 weeks post-op. Got back to op-side sleeping maybe a week ago? I think it was similar the first time, as I don't remember it being an extremely long time then, either.

I imagine where your incision is located can have some impact on when you get back to op-side sleeping.
 
I do understand your worry about the laxatives sending you in the opposite direction and being caught short.....I'm coeliac and even a minute particle of gluten can have a fairly swift and unwanted effect....I carry spare knickers and baby wipes if I'm eating out. That's my biggest worry in hospital, that they may not do the g/f thing properly, so I'm considering either taking in my own food or doing the intermittent diet! But I do remember from last time how awful the stomach aches were, and shovelled down the prunes like there was no tomorrow. I think if you stick with food remedies it has a gradual effect (unless you are particularly sensitive)......it still took me several days to 'come right'.

I'm sure you'll find your own way in this, and the icing is helping. I had a VERY cautious surgeon who kept me on restrictions for 12 weeks.....like you I never slept on my back and found it really uncomfortable. However after a couple of weeks I'd worked out where to put all the pillows and wedges for maximum comfort and I started to sleep better. I found my side to be very uncomfortable when I eventually tried it....had to build up time on it. It was hard for a few weeks but it was only a few weeks' discomfort for many years (I hope!) of better life.
 
I found my side to be very uncomfortable when I eventually tried it....had to build up time on it. It was hard for a few weeks but it was only a few weeks' discomfort for many years (I hope!) of better life.
Same experience here.
Once I felt like I could do it, it wasn't comfortable YET!
Early days...sending healing hugs for you!:console2:
 
just adding that now I sleep on my side again, I find my operated side more comfortable to sleep on as it sort of 'anchors' that leg in position. On the other side, my op leg is raised and can wobble which can strain the hip muscles a bit.....if you find that a problem too, try putting a small pillow between your knees, it seems to steady the leg a bit
 
@anny What did you find worked best for you specifically with the food remedies? Just the prunes? I have some dietary restrictions as well and am wondering how to negotiate the hospital food. May get hubby to bring in some things for me, if I am in longer than two days!

@Jesus fan Wishing you a healing and restful day. Thinking of you and sending tons of positive energy and prayers as you are journeying through all these early days.
:flwrysmile:
 
How long does the no bending rule apply? I forgot to ask my Dr. when I went to see him last.
 
Hi,
Restrictions can vary from patient to patient and definitely vary from OS to OS.
It seems a growing number are no longer imposing them.
You really need to call the office of your OS and let a member of his team advise.
I hope you are doing well and wish you a great day!
@Jesus fan
 
LOL... Six weeks to forever. Seriously though, most seem to be six weeks. The Health Org that did my hip starts at three months, but most OSs there remove after 6 weeks... and one has none.

Here is the funny thing for me. All of the restrictions I don't follow at all... at least not deliberately ... the swelling and muscle weakness keep me from bending more than 90, or externally/internally rotating too far. I have never crossed my left on to my right (always the other way around... had LTHR). And I have been almost exclusively using the golfers reach to pick things up for the last few years. I thought the restrictions would be hard.... but they are things I can't or don't do anyways. Perhaps the restrictions are really for those few people who have a very fast recovery :-)

Cheers
 
@Jesus fan you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
What did you find worked best for you specifically with the food remedies

I went overboard on the prunes (fortunately I do like them!)....nibbled on them, had them with yogurt for breakfast, drank prune juice. We also have something out here called Kiwicrush....basically just juiced kiwifruits, so I would think the actual whole fruit would be as good or better too. I also had in my kitchen cupboard a packet of ground psyllium which I intended to sprinkle on the prunes and yogurt (belt and braces, me :wink:) but forgot about when I got home. I lost my appetite forthe first few days....probably a good thing as I didn't bloat up too much, and just wanted hot drinks. Also tried to keep drinking water (not that hard with all the meds every few hours!). Someone also gave me a few lactulose tablets (a 'sugar' tablet for constipation.....might be a different name in your neck of the woods) that I was keeping for desperation times but fortunately everything suddenly resolved about day 4 :yes!::yay::happydance:
 
Thanks for the info @anny! I think I was given prunes as a child or something, as I really dislike them! However, the psyllium, water, lactulose, will help. I make a kind of fruit compote and put on steel cut oats for breakfast...that might help too. I'll keep a high fibre diet going, thanking hubby in advance LOL!!
How are you? How is hip#2 behaving, or not?!
 
Regarding prunes... here is something I learned from my little one's pediatrician. It is not so much the fiber in prunes or apricots that speeds things up (though it doesn't hurt)... Apparently these fruits have naturally high levels of sorbitol... which has a laxative effect. So, anything with sorbitol may help. Cherries are really high in sorbitol too. Works wonders for my little one.

Cheers
 
@Alitm Leftie is keeping pretty quiet....think he's hoping if he keeps it low key he'll be overlooked :wink: You sound very organised....I seem to be drifting along in a bit of a dream, half not believing I've only got 8 days to go :yikes: Was a lot more onto it in March....think I must have a touch of secondtimerounditis :heehee:
 
@Jesus fan ....hope you're doing ok and are having a good weekend....believe it's a holiday weekend for you guys? Hope you get to catch up with friends and family and take your mind off all things 'hip' for a while :)
 
I'm sorry I haven't gotten to reply people, im having computer problems. Computer is freezing and losing internet frequently
 
Thank you @anny and @Alitm for asking about me. I'm trying to hang in there, I have good days and bad days. Hope you both are doing well.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom