THR Thank God, I've made it to the other side!<

@Jesus fan Hope things are moving for you! Such a miserably uncomfortable feeling. Have read here that some folk suffered more with the stopped up discomfort than post op discomfort. Yikes.
:flwrysmile:
 
@Alitm Your so kind to check on me. At the moment i'm doing better than I was. Had do take some meds for anxiety and also took a pain medication. I truly hope that I don't discourage you from your surgery next month, or make you dread it more. I have a few things stacked against me that you probably don't have. First of all, i'm severly over weight and I'm out of shape because I've not been able to physically move for years because of the pain. I already suffer from depression so all of this is just adding to it. I'm sure you will do fine, you can read on here that most people do wonderful after surgery. You seem like such a kind and caring person, I really hope you do well. Maybe by the time ur surgery rolls around I can give you some pointers or answer any questions you may have.
 
Just caught up with your thread @Jesus fan .....I'm so sorry you've had a rough start to your new hip.....please don't beat yourself beat yourself up for it.....you have proved that you can do it by going ahead with the op, which is a pretty scary thing to do. Once you've done that, you are allowed to have second thoughts, fits of the weepies, throwing a tanty or anything else should you feel like it, especially in the first weeks.....because you've earned the right! It is hard going to start with, but you'll get into a routine and once you've accepted that it will take as long as it takes, and don't compare yourself with anyone else (you might be a tortoise to start with, but remember who won the race!) you'll be fine. Keep posting for sympathy, advice or just a shoulder to cry on....I've found this forum a lifesaver, such lovely people.....you CAN do this and it WILL get better (and you'll be glad you did it :wink:)
 
Aww @Jesus fan You are going through a tough time right now, but are in no way putting me off having surgery! Don't you worry about that! Just as @anny said, you have proved you can do it by going ahead with the op. Now you are dealing with the unknown, and trying to get back to your life with a new hip. Remember that slow and steady wins the race, and don't compare your recovery to others. Keep posting and let the caring people here help you through.
:flwrysmile:
 
Congratulations on being able to get into bed with your “log leg” without hoisting it. I can only just do that after three weeks and even now I use the bandage to help because it is quicker and easier.
After seeing the Gp two days ago where she was trying to get me to ease off the morphine I gave it a go. Yesterday was not too bad and I went for a walk down my road concentration on form, heel toe etc. I felt very proud of myself. I take the codeine and paracetamol but not the morphine.

This morning I feel I have gone back a week. Every thing hurts. Yuk. So I am going to have some morphine and a cup of tea, stop, and think again. I don’t want to mask pain completely as need to know I am not overdoing the physical side of things but, into the 4th week I still need those meds. I am saying this to you because each body is different. I wish I were thst 88 year old lady I met who sailed through without issues. But I am “me” in an overweight/obese body that has just gone through major surgery and it will take time.

Please let us know how it is going. Did you continue with the PT or ease off a bit and how are the meds going? Best of luck!
 
How you are feeling just five days out of major surgery is not a good barometer on how recovery will go for you...try not to project dear @Jesus fan.
I had the constipation issues also:groan:
Sympathy hugs and prayers for all to ease soon.
Keep the faith!:console2:
 
Well, my hubby has to return to work tomorrow, im really hating the thoughts of him leaving me. But my Aunt is going to stay with me while he is gone, for tomorrow any way, not sure what will happen after that. I got up this morning hungry and ate 1/2 a turkey and cheese sandwich (yes my crazy eating habits are coming back... a sandwich for breakfast lol). I've not had much of an appetite, which im not complaining because I need to lose weight. So far the worst day for pain was day two after surgery and the worst for anxiety was day 4, yesterday. I'm feeling some better today, going to try to sponge bath later on, I can't imagine trying to get in the shower yet! I don't really have any updates, things are about the same.
 
Good Morning! :hi:
I'm happy to read you're feeling better. It will continue, but you may have some dips in mood here and there. It's normal and oftentimes leaves as quickly as it comes. Try to get enough protein even if your appetite doesn't improve. It's very important for healing. Here are some ideas you may not think of -
Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

You really can make it on your own after tomorrow, if need be. You'll be one week post op and many do it.
Especially because I'm assuming hubs works regular business hours? You may find a shower uplifting today since hubs is still home and can keep a watchful eye. First shower is heavenly!!! You shouldn't be that active at this point anyway, if you're going to be spending time alone this week.

Check out the Activity Progression as a rough gauge for Activity for where you are in Recovery -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

I hope today is a good day! :yes: :SUNsmile:
@Jesus fan
 
I was not allowed to shower at the recovery place unaided for 3 days. But eventually I got there. You will too and it will be great. H telling me off now for hogging the showers in the morning! Took me 5 days post op before I proved anything productive loo wise and, 3 weeks on still need the laxative as the codeine sieges me up.
 
Hi @Jesus fan
I really have done very little physio. Mine has been just general walking from room to room and up and down stairs. It's been 5 weeks now since my op and apart from the soreness of the scar I am not in any pain.

I can definitely relate to the toilet issue. It was 7 days for me. Had constipation meds in hospital that made no difference. Came home with some liquid stool softener, still nothing. Rang the doctor who,suggested all manner of things. Prunes, fruit and fibre cereal, cherries etc. I did the lot and eVentually something worked and boy was it a relief. Just don't panic.

Hope things get better for you soon
 
I didn't think I could do it but I managed to take a shower! It felt so good to finally get clean lol. The physical therapist is supposed to start today, i'm not looking forward to that! I guess I was loopy from the meds and read it wrong before, I thought the paper said the PT will come for 4 to 6 weeks but it says 4 to 6 visits (much better).
Is it normal for the knee to hurt after surgery? I'm having a lot of pain there and in the back of my leg. There is not much swelling at all , well none to notice and the bandage looks really good, I thank the Lord for that. I had a lot of family members call me yesterday, that cheered me up.
 
Glad to know you managed the shower. For me personally that was a mental milestone. Also good that you have the support of family and friends. I think all of us who had a rough start from recovery are getting there. I am doing gentle physio with a lady who knows not to push me too hard . The idea is to learn stuff that helps with everyday movements and to be as natural as possible. I now prefer to use one crutch around the house but use both crutches outside as I can walk further but with the correct form.neighbkurs whomi only knew on a nodding acquaitance before are coming up and commenting on my progress. People are asking me in for coffee! For us reserved Brits this is all rather wonderful and strange.
 
Is it normal for the knee to hurt after surgery?
Totally normal. They grab your knee to dislocate the hip joint. My knee hurt worse than the incision post RTHR. Ice your knee as well as the hip.
 
I am doing gentle physio with a lady who knows not to push me too hard . The idea is to learn stuff that helps with everyday movements and to be as natural as possible
As PT should be...so hopefully your experience will be the same.
You are in charge so if there's anything you aren't up to, just say no.
All will keep getting better...just till with it right now...
Wishing you a good day!
 
Yup. Same here! Got bad cramp behind knee so am eating bananas!
Had a week off “organised pt” and just did walking and exercising in my own.
Two scheduled in for next week plus the lovely ice machine post physio which is sheer bliss.
 
My knee began to hurt also. It took 2 1/2 weeks for some decent bruising and pain to show in the area.
I'm happy you're feeling in a better mood since the shower and phone calls from loved ones.
I hope this is a good week for you. Hugs
@Jesus fan
 
@Jesus fan - isn't a shower pure bliss?!! Honestly I was lucky and had walk in shower so showered from day 1 when I got home. Used every bit of hot water the first shower!:loll:

I'm happy to hear your spirits are better. A phone call or short visit with friends is a great mood lifter. Do you have a patio or porch you can sit for just a few minutes to get some natural vitamin d? Hubby took me for car rides (like he does our dog Petey) just to get out of the house and see something besides our living room! Of course it usually involves ice cream at the end of it. :curtsey:

Early days my friend, but it will get better. Stay ahead of the pain and take meds as prescribed.

Slow and steady wins this race...
 
Thanks everyone! I haven't been online in a couple days. My Aunt has been staying with me during the day while hubby works since Monday. She and I have really enjoyed our visits together, she is going to stay until I can do for myself a little better. I seen PT Mon, Tues, today, skip tomorrow and will see again Friday. She is not pushing me too hard, only what I feel I can do. My mood lifted on day 7 after surgery and I've done well since. Happy to say that every day seems to be an improvement but i'm still on the walker, don't know if that is normal or not but PT don't mention me coming off of it. I hope all you newbies and everyone are doing fine! God bless.
 
Hi,
I'm happy to hear your Aunt is helping out and you're enjoying your time together.
You seem much better! Using the walker right now is perfectly normal. So no worries there.
Get lots of rest, use lots of ice and enjoy the rest of the week. You're doing great!
@Jesus fan
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom