TKR Teri59 Pearl is her name.

Good Morning all!! Great day. Slept all night. Moving around a bit better. Muscles are sore. I have been doing exercises and it is now showing. Bruising has appeared but still not real bad. Minimal swelling. So far I have been able to stay at 1/2 an oxycodone 3 times a day. I sleep all night so not taking anything at night. I take 1/2 an oxy about an hour before I do the exercises. I do them to the point of discomfort. Then I move on. My measurements are 0 and 99 the last time they were checked on Thursday. I don't know if that is good or bad. But I am going with it. I know it will get better. I am very happy with the way things are turning out. :egypdance:
 
Your numbers are outstanding for only 5 days out! We suggest that you don't take pain meds before exercising. They might mask any trauma you might be causing by your knee not feeling all it should. With your ROM, you don't have to worry about doing any exercising. Just doing your ADL, (activities of Daily Living), will be enough exercise. Right now just worry about healing! That's your #1 job!
 
Great report Teri! Your ROM is outstanding for this point in recovery. And good sleep too! Outstanding!
 
@Teri59. Just home from work and wanted to check in on you. I hope all is well in your world. :)
 
Just stay on your regular med schedule. Hopefully your "exercises" are just a few heel slides and ankle pumps.
 
Good Morning!! Thank you @PoetryChef ! I have a few sore muscles as things wake up more. Some bruising finally starting to clear up this morning. Swelling not as bad this morning.

Thank you @KarriB. I have been do some exercises but they have been mild. I haven't been doing the hurt to get somewhere. I am keeping up with the tramadol and tylenol every 5 hours now. I was doing them every 4 and changed it. That is working well. Still have been able to do only 2 of the oxy in a 24 hour.

I have been icing and elevating. I now get the zingers everyone was talking about. I have only one small area that is numb and I get the zinger from just under that area. The first one was a good one. It went all the way down my leg. I was able to get outside and walk a short distance yesterday. That felt awesome. Big walker and all.
 
Your whole body went through the trauma of surgery, and your whole body needs to recover. Sounds like you are doing a great job!
 
Thanks @OJ2. I am trying the things that I have learned from bonesmarties. The things I know that work for me. Plus slow and steady is what wins this one.
 
You are right. It is slow and steady that wins. The goal is healing. And healing takes time.
 
Yep, there's no hurrying this recovery or exercising your knee into bending, especially at this early stage. Rest, ice, elevation, meds are what you need. Lots of water (sometimes mixed with Miralax) helps and will give you opportunity to get up and around. I agree, it feels great to get outside for a bit except it's just terribly hot right now.
 
Yes @KarriB The Miralax has been a good friend. The first couple of days home it was stool softeners twice a day. Miralax the first day 3 times. I was told by my doctor when they called to check on me that the first day it was ok to take it 3 times. The second day was 2 times. It worked real well. Yes it is warm, went out in the AM before the heat got real bad. Think I will set out on the porch today and enjoy a bit.
 
I love reading how you're taking your own good time and celebrating small victories along the way. Sitting out on the porch sounds likes a peaceful way to pass time. Just getting up and walking around feels wonderful, but then the energy drain reminds us not to do too much.

The zingers can be surprising, can't they? :heehee:
 
@SusieShoes Yes I do really enjoy each new step forward it is a reminder that things are progressing. Love the ability to get up and go. It is a new found respect for being able to walk right. The zingers are a major reminder that the knee rules.
Love my hubby. He helps keep me in check. Reminds me nope you can't do that yet. :snork:
 
Good Morning!! Finally getting it together this morning. Pearl decided it was a morning to be stiff and hurt. After morning meds and walking around the house for a few minutes to stretch her out she was happy again.
She was throwing a temper tantrum you could say. I am able to walk around the house with my cane a little here and there. Pearl is bending better. I do think the pre-exercising I did helped me a lot. I am doing better a little quicker I think. I was measured at 105 yesterday during my PT session. Things are improving as the swelling goes down. I do not do anything during any PT or exercising that hurts. The therapist does not put hands on me in anyway. I kindly ask that it not be a part of the sessions. She agreed. Still doing 3 times a week for now. It will soon go to 2 times.
 
@Teri59, I am so happy that you are progressing forward in your recovery. I continue to check in on you. Eight days into your recovery and walking with a cane a bit? Truly amazing. I too am taking a hands off my knees approach. :)
 
It sounds like what ever you are doing (and not doing) is working great! Keep up the great work and non- work!
 
Back
Top Bottom