TKR Teri59 Pearl is her name.

@Teri59 Hope things are loosening up! Our surgery dates are within a few days of each other! I had the same thing happen on the bike yesterday! WOW--even said a few choice words :yikes: :heehee:! Extra swelling and not good sleep last night. I wont try that again for a few days! Hope you are feeling better today! Also--great job on the flexion!! Since I do my PT at home, I am not sure, but mine is only maybe 80-85 depending on the day. Every knee is different I know, but keep up the good work!!
 
Last edited:
Thank you @PoetryChef and @tcdc135 ! Yes I am doing great. I have my ups and downs. I have learned that the downs are like the old caster oil days. :heehee: Hold your nose and swallow it down and keep going. :snork: I am still doing home therapy. I have let them know that my last day of therapy is the 20th. They have ask if I am doing out patient therapy I told them no. They wanted me to continue so I can get those numbers in. I do my exercises and stretches everyday. I was told by the attending physicians PA that I could drive at 4 weeks. I also found out that the OS himself is one that expects 120 flexion at the 6 week check up. I don't think that is gonna happen. I also go back to work on the 23rd. My choice, I have an administrative assistant job. My ROM is 0 and 112. The 112 is hard to get. When PT measures me and when they do it at OS office there is a 5 degree difference in my favor so far. I hope I can still use it to my advantage.:egypdance: I push to get it with help from PT. She knows when to stop. I do not hurt from it afterward. I can walk without the cane now. I have been for a few days. I still carry it with me when I am on my walks outside.
@tcdc135 I actually didn't get back on the bike until today. I also raised the seat before I did too. I am not doing that one again:yikes:. I am to old to jump that high.:loll:
 
112 at least than 4 weeks is fantastic! Don't sweat the numbers. They will improve in your knee's timing. You can't force it any faster than it wants to do it.
 
I agree you’re doing great! It’s just a number, a marker. Chances are your surgeon will be happy if it’s close... which it already is!

Please don’t jump high again. You got away with that one, so don’t tempt fate. :wink:
 
I so agree. I am now at a point that as long as I continue on the steady path I am on I will get there. It is now in the knee and the little bit of swelling on the inside. That works with time. I was the one that told them that PT was over on the 20th. She admitted that she didn't have to do anything when there I already did it. Tells me I don't need to put the deductible out for something I can do myself. I am already at a point that I am doing better than I was before surgery for the most part.
 
112 at 3/4 weeks is fabulous! Once the swelling is gone you'll have better ROM. I was released from PT with 109 and it continued to improve for a year.
 
Thanks @KarriB . I can say I am very glad I had the surgery. I know things will improve as time goes. That is very awesome. Excited about the things I can do in the near future. I love to look ahead.
 
@Teri59, I think of you often. You were very kind to me when I first posted here and I am so happy for you and your new knee. Good job!

I picked up one of my post-surgery meds today and the other should be in at the pharmacy next week. Just outside of three weeks until I meet my own two new knees. Please stay in touch. Hugs.
 
@PoetryChef It really is getting close for you. If you are anything like I was, I got excited the closer it got. It helped me to work on my list of to do things to prepare ahead to make things a little easier. I cooked larger meals and froze some of it to heat and eat. I printed off some of the most ask questions by family and friends to have available. I have them laid out so easy to pick up and read. I worked on things I knew I wanted close by and worked on my " nesting area".

Pearl was a little stiff this morning. She was protesting the workout from yesterday. I did a little stretching and she is awake and good to go. A good giggle is the hips. They are getting the workout as well. They woke up and didn't like it at first. The even walking and weight baring has them confused. It feels good in a weird way.
I have another first, I can get in the floor to do some of my stretches. Those new firsts and are so exciting.
 
Isn’t it great when you test yourself — walking without an assistive device, getting on the floor — and pass the test? You’re being both careful and sure in this recovery. A person with a plan can do anything. :yes!:

I think those of us who go into surgery after years of painful arthritis realize great benefit immediately because that pain is gone. Even the pain of surgery doesn’t come close. Kind of “Okay. I can deal with this.” Best of all, it only gets better.
 
@SusieShoes That is so true. I see a bit more everyday. Makes a person respect the small things most don't think about. When I realized I was walking without the limp I got so excited. That is something I haven't done in about seven years. The knee was drawing up a little more all the time.
 
@Teri59, you are saying your ligaments were shortening and your knee was in a bent position?
 
@PoetryChef Yes before the surgery. My measurement was 19. That was the best I was getting at that time. I may have gotten a few degrees better with the exercises and stretches I was doing everyday. I wasn't measured after the first time before surgery. I am working to stretch it more. I am at 2 to 3. I have seen 0 when I have stretched really well that day. I walked with a limp all the time. I will get the 0 permanent. I knew it was going to be extra effort for me to get there.
 
It takes time and gentle treatment to stretch those ligaments again. That's why extension is often slower to achieve than flexion.

But you're doing so well!

Your surgeon's expectations of 120 at 6 weeks are very optimistic. Most surgeons are happy with 90 degrees at that stage.
Don't push on your knee to improve the numbers - the ones that count are the ones you achieve by using your own leg muscles.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
How liberating it is to be able to get in my car and drive again. Felt great and did ok. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow with my family doctor. I want to see what she thinks about me returning to work next week. She will be honest with me. If I need to wait another week I can. I love the steps forward.
 
And I love your positive attitude. Glad to see your return to driving.
 
How wonderful it feels to get that driving independence after a tkr! I remember my joy of my first drive!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom