TKR Teri59 Pearl is her name.

Driving is a huge step forward. You sound so very happy. Because it's still early in recovery for you, just one month, consider going back to work on a gradual basis, just partial days at first (maybe only a few partial days a week) to start. You might be surprised at how tired you'll be after working only a few hours. :tiredwheel:
 
Congrats on driving and feeling like getting back to work! We had surgery around the same time and seem to be at similar places in our recovery.

Perhaps you can get some insight from my mistake-I went back to work this week (I work from home) and overdid it the first day bc I wasn't good about setting/enforcing boundaries (like working 4 hours/day the first week). I have since updated my calendar to show available only four hours/day this week!!!
 
Hello @HMZebra! How much fun. I just finished reading your thread. I was going thru threads reading about canes. I came across your thread and was reading about your adventure of the workday. I have great days here at home and don't use it much. I always take and use it when out. But last day and a half I have used it more inside. Almost like Pearl is trying to throw a temper tantrum:heehee:. The temps here are back and forth. Warm to cold so I think that may be a small bit of it. I look forward to going back to work, but they also know that for a time I am limited in some of the things I can do. I will be reminding them upon my return too.
 
Hello Everyone!
Been a few days since my last post. I do still read and check in with folks.
I am doing really well. I have taken this week off from work as well. I go back to work this coming Monday.
I am doing my exercises twice a day. I also get on my bike twice a day. I am adding the time on it as I go.
I walk everyday. I feel like things are going really well. Knock on wood:heehee:.
I have had ups and downs. For the most part I am doing it.
I still have days that I am tired and not with it. Yesterday was one of those days. I stayed in my PJs all day.
I feel better as the days go by.
I am sure that the exercises I did pre op made a big difference in my recovery.
I am cooking, cleaning, and shopping just as before.
I still take my cane with me, but have just about gotten away from using it all together.
I found a massage that works for me on the TKR. I use it everyday 2 to 3 times a day.
It has helped with swelling and some on the sensitivity.
Now with the first day back to work closing in on me I am trying to get the house, my work clothes and my hubby ready. He has gotten use to his dinner ready when he comes in the door. He will have to wait till we both come in.:snork:.
 
You are really going only great! What a good report!
 
You're doing very well, but you are going back to work very early. We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off and then doing a Phased return to work if possible.

Once you're back at work, it is a good idea to give up going to PT. Getting to and from work and work itself will be sufficient exercise for your knee. You won't lose the ROM you already have.

When you get home from work, you'll probably feel wiped out - that energy drain will linger for a long time yet - so plan to grab a quick meal and spend the evening resting, icing and elevating.
 
You're doing so well! Fear not for your husband's dinner preferences. Just seeing how well you're doing is probably making him wildly happy. If he has to eat take out for a few meals, or some quickie dinners, he'll gladly accept that for a happier, healthier you. He's getting a lot his life back, too!

If your boss is agreeable, maybe you can arrange part-time, or short days, for a week or two... to ease back into being at work. I think you said in an earlier post, in pre-op, that you have a really great work situation.
 
Thank you so very much Ladies!
@Celle I have an office job. I can elevate and even ice if needed. I will be able to get up and walk around also.
I am glad to hear I will not lose the ROM I have. I wasn't sure about that.
@SusieShoes Hubby is very supportive. He still cooks on the weekends and takes me out to dinner. He fixes one pan dishes that we can get two meals out of. He is very glad to see things getting back to normal. I may do the fast food drive thru a day or two :snork:.
I can also take an extra day off here and there if needed. I have plenty of time left to take. I can also take extra afternoon.
 
I am glad to hear I will not lose the ROM I have. I wasn't sure about that.
What may happen, though, is that you could feel an increase in pain and swelling. Sometimes your ROM goes down temporarily, but it will increase again, as your knee becomes accustomed to working.
 
@Lynne Cleveland I started out taking lotion and rubbing it in pulling upward. Toward my thigh. I did this a few times a day for a few days. I seen it helped with the swelling. Not rubbing hard, gentle. Then I started in circular motions working upward a little more firm. I use my fingers to target the larger area. Now as I find sore spots I am able to work on them as I go. Always working upward, up toward the thigh. This helps with swelling.
I only use cocoa butter on the scar itself. I also massage it as well now.
To help with the sensitivity, I lightly tap my fingers over my knee. I do this for about 3 minutes at a time. It does help. I do this about 3 times a day. I can now target the smaller areas that still feel a little sensitive.
It may not help everyone, but it does help me. I will post some pictures of my knee later.
Anyone that does this please remember not to put anything on your incision until your health care professional says you can, usually about 4 weeks out.
 
Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my knee. Picture #1 is Sept 20th, #2 Oct 13th and #3 today.

[Bonesmart.org] Teri59 Pearl is her name.
 
Back
Top Bottom