THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

Jaz now in recovery. Surgeon said her hip was worse than xrays showed and leg length is still an issue but one we can address in a few months. Everything went well and we're waiting for her to come back to the ward. She's been strong and positive throughout. I'm sure the next few days she will be determined to get back on her feet again with a smile on her face.
 
She's attached to lots of tubes and machines that beep loudly every 15 mins. One machine sounds like her father snoring - odly comforting!
Physio will hopefully get her on her feet today. She's asked her dad for a new skateboard for a recovery present.
No problem jaz, as long as you wear a sumo suit to ride it.
She's doing well and I'm immensly proud of her. Can't wait to see her new scar x
 
Hi @jasminesmom I just read through your whole thread and it brought me to tears. Your daughter is so blessed to have a mother like you. I had major hip/pelvic surgeries as a baby for hip dysplasia and total hip replacement last year (at the age of 37). It is hard to be young and deal with hip issues. But, I have wonderful supportive parents (and now husband and family) and that makes it so much easier. Your daughter will be fine and will be confident and an inspiration to others because of the love and care you have shown to her. So glad you found bonesmart... what a blessing Josephine has been to you! God works in mysterious ways. So wonderful that you found your way to surgeon with the help of Josephine. Praying for your daughter. Hope she continues to recover well! :)
 
Thank you so much !!
Jaz is doing great today. She's been on three little walks around the ward with crutches. She's off her strong meds, so no loud beeping every few minutes. Physio very pleased with her and maybe we can go home tomorrow, fingers crossed. Ive said it before, this site has truly been amazing! Ive read lots of stories and had such amazing support from around the world. I read out the posts to jaz and it makes her smile.
She humbles me with her strength And determination and I know she is now on the road to a full recovery. If I were allowed champagne on a children's ward I would be popping it open to celebrate.
 
@jasminesmom I have been away from the forum for a few days. So happy to find Jaz is on the other side! Please give her our best wishes and tell her we are with her through this recovery journey. Hope you are holding up through all this as well! You must be very proud!
 
Wow @jasminesmom alias SUPERMUM,

Just read your thread, what an ordeal. What a saga! Hopefully today is the beginning of a better future for your daughter. I think that supporting her in recovery will be a challenge but nothing like you have done already.

When I complain about pain, or decision making and lack of communication it pales in to insignificance when I look at what you and your daughter have been through.

I feel excited for your daughter. About 2-3 weeks after the op I could feel and see that i was walking tall and not limping. It was wonderful for me but will be even more wonderful for your daughter as a teenager.

When it comes to getting back to school/home work I know we are all different, but for me it was about 4 weeks before my head was not fuzzy. So however well intentioned she is, it might be hard to focus for a while.

I am off to Wales tomorrow for a short holiday, six weeks post op. Look forward to hearing of your daughters recovery. Well done to have got to this point!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @jasminesmom

Oh this is a real heartwarming story. I'm so pleased you got this sorted. It's been a long haul but your love for your daughter kept you going and so strong. Josephine did you proud. She does all of us proud. The sheer fact that your daughter has finally received the necessary treatment now must be a massive relief.

She walking round on crutches, she's doing so very well. Bless her x

I'm not on the hip forum but the knee forum but this post caught my eye. I had to read it. I'm so glad that I did.

Please give her all our love and wish her a speedy recovery.

All my love and happiness for your great news
Love Ann x x x x (Nana moon 27) xx
 
So glad to hear that Jasmine's op went well... @jasminesmom ... of course she's doing well, you knew she would :) I love the sumo suit comment :cool: but we are assured that these man made hips are pretty strong - once they've "taken" that is :rotfl:

Wishing you all the very best, let the recovery begin
Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Josephine, your bouncy thingies are fab !!
We're back home after OT said she was doing really well on her feet and crutches. Such a relief to be home and get her settled in her room.
She's downstairs next to the kitchen where I like to sit. I stupidly gave her a bell.......im going to regret the bell!
Thanks for all the well wishes guys xxxx
 
I stupidly gave her a bell.......im going to regret the bell!
:rotfl: So glad you are home and on the road to recovery.

Just put the curser where you want the smilie. Then click on the smilie in the tool bar just at the top of where you are posting. There are several tabs that you can use depending on your mood.
 
I'm so happy to hear Jasmine is doing so well and back home. Both of you have so much strength and determination. I have no doubt that things will be so much better in these coming recovery days and weeks.

Updates on this remarkable story will always be appreciated.....along with Jasmine on that new skateboard!
 
Jaz has a double bed downstairs so I cwtched (Welsh for cuddle) in with her all night. She was a bit restles and I should have woken her up to give her some pain relief, but didn't. She went 11 hours without any.
Have been reading a few post regarding taking it easy. We've been instructed not to leave the house for a number of weeks. Dr doesn't want her getting in and out of a car because of the 90 degree angle restriction. Physio will be coming to the house once a week. School will provide a home tutor four times and week and anything else she needs im here to fetch and carry and help her with everything. The risk of dislocation in the first few weeks/months is a very scary prospect. I'm shocked so many people are doing too much too quickly.
because Jasmine has been walking around in so much pain that she became used to not putting her full weight through her hip, used to being restricted in flexing and struggled to bend past 90 degrees that those restrictions will be easy for her to adhere to.
When she's ready her brilliant physiotherapist will work with her to 'wake up' the muscles she's not been using and re teach her to walk without a pelvic tilt etc amd severe limp. It must be so hard for people to recover without as much help around them and I'm not surprised some people experience pain after doing too much.

It's helped that we have had the time to plan jaz's recovery. We've set aside lots to do to keep her occupied while she recovers. Most of all the plan is to stay rested and not do too much too quickly. I really feel for people who havnt got as much support at home.

Today's mission is to rest and to hide the bell!
 
She went 11 hours without any.
Ay, ay, ay, ay! Don't every do that! Remember the mantra - oh - you haven't been given the articles! Well, here tehy are - read them carefully and follow them!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We've been instructed not to leave the house for a number of weeks.
Jolly good! See the article on Activity Progress ....
When she's ready her brilliant physiotherapist will work with her to 'wake up' the muscles she's not been using
Do please remember this important point - hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. So don't rush into physio.
The risk of dislocation in the first few weeks/months is a very scary prospect
The risk is not as great as it seems. You'll see on here a few members who have dislocation but our total membership a very small number of the hip replacements done overall so the number on here is inflated as a result. If you read the Article about the 90 degree restrictions there is a chart showing the overall risk factor and how it lessens over time. And note that even people that have never had any surgery on their hips still never have a '0' dislocation risk!
 
I know Josephine, I was cross with myself for not waking her up for pain killers. Ive made sure she's had them regulary since then.
Because she's so young her Drs will only give her 15mg of codine. She's on 500 paracetamol and 400 ibuprofen 3 x a day. Having read a few posts on here people seem to be on much higher doses. It seems fine for jaz, she's not complaining at all about pain, so hopefully she's not feeling it too much.
Physio have just been, they don't want her to do very much at all. Her Physio has been with us for 2.5 years and has seen jaz get worse and worse, has seen her at her very lowest.
Her Physio was beaming to see Jaz smile again told her to keep resting for now.
The bells not been too bad today !
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom